Sign in to follow this  

is it my throttle cable!?

hey can somebody help me..i cant turn my handle bars to the left or right (mostly left) without the engine revving..the only thing that helped was setting the idle really low but as soon as i put the bike into gear it doesnt have any power to stay alive..can somebody please help!?

sounds like the throttle cable is routed wrong or its binding on something. If the rpms are controlled by turning the bars then start with the cable. Sounds like you're on the right track

what have you tweaked recently? definately sounds like somewhere the cable got routed incorrectly. Have you twisted the carb one way or the other?

The cable mounted right at the carb is susceptible to kinks. When it gets bent awkwardly while taking out the carb it will bind right there the majority of the time. If its tweaked too much the metal sheathing can start to unwind and you can't really fix it after that happens. But check the carb first. Push the cable back into the carb. You may not notice it moving. Turn the bars to the right so the cable is at its longest. When pushing in the cable, the idle should drop when the bars are turned right. If it drops, you know you got the kink out. Its a pain sometimes.

thanks you!..actually i found that the carb was twisted somewhat to the left..i adjusted it so that its completely vertical, is that how its supposed to be?..im also thinking of getting a new cable for my 2001 yz 125..any suggestions?..thanks again!

Motion pro or OEM. Thats what I always had good luck with. I've been through alot, haha. I'm not so good at taking the carb out.

so i just got my motion pro T2 throttle cable in the mail this morning and it says it should be professionally installed..id rather not considering its $100..is this a job i should leave to the professionals or can i simply do it in my garage?

No, its a piece of cake. Have you taken the top off of your carb before?

When you turn your bars to the right, is the cable tight? Or is there some slack?

Yes, I was hoping it was tight.

Your throttle tube...is there some small movement back and forth?

If there's slack, that means the bars should not be pulling on the cable but you say it still is. It has to be the cable routing as thats the only thing connecting the movement of the bars to carb.

Only other thing I can think of is the kill switch. Maybe take it off the bars, leave it connected, and move em back and forth. If it stops changing idle ranges then you have a short or its not connected all the way.

THANK YOU!!..the last thing you said about the throttle tube was the answer..there was absolutely no slack in the throttle tube..i had just been tightening and loosening the throttle cable. then i found a small screw on the side of the carbeurator (do you know the name of it?)..and a combination of adjustments there fixed the problem..thanks so much!

Great! Glad I could help. I've had to deal with the stupid throttle cable much more than I would like. Even blew a motor when it got stuck open.