Sign in to follow this  

Bullet Proof Designs Radiator Guard

First off, want to thank everyone for all the great input on the WR250R, especially Ross (Gargoyle), who I met up at Hancock.

My buddy was looking into replacing her DR350 with a WR250F, and I was able to tell her about the R with all the info everyone has been posting.

(BTW, she loves it.)

Bullet Proof Deisgns radiator guards are one of the best. Problem is, the company doesn't know about the great demand from WR250R and X owners.

If you want them to produce one, give 'em a shout.

www.bulletproofdesigns.com

They look pretty nice, but Im not sure about them not

having louvers. Seems they might not "pull" enough

air toward the rad in order to promote sufficient cooling.

This bike gets hot enough as it is. I with you on wanting

some better rad protection, but not at the expense

of proper cooling.

Id be interested in seeing some results though.

"Ours lasted through a 500 ft. off a cliff bike drop, they work. And on the WR, no cooling issues, ever. Which is a first for non-louvered design for me."

:)

YMMV

Cheers, Magile

"Ours lasted through a 500 ft. off a cliff bike drop, they work. And on the WR, no cooling issues, ever. Which is a first for non-louvered design for me."

YMMV

Cheers, Magile

Was this a WRF, or a WRR? To me it makes a difference, because

the WRF has two rads, we only have one. So we are already more

prone to hotter temps IMO.

Was this a WRF, or a WRR? To me it makes a difference, because

the WRF has two rads, we only have one. So we are already more

prone to hotter temps IMO.

Where could one find an overview of how the cooling system works on an F? (size of radiators, thermostats and other controls, etc).

I would bet that the R and X setup is directed toward reaching the target operating temperature quickly and keeping it there under as many conditions as possible. Better emissions control and better engine longevity.

I don't know about the F, it may trade temperature control for maximum cooling and reduction on electrical system demand.

I would bet that the R and X setup is directed toward reaching the target operating temperature quickly and keeping it there under as many conditions as possible. Better emissions control and better engine longevity.

I don't know about the F, it may trade temperature control for maximum cooling and reduction on electrical system demand.

I agree. The F is a competition bike intended to be ridden non-stop by C riders banging off trees in the "stick farms" of the NJ Pine Barrens, A riders churning mud & rocks in the North West and everything in between.

Although the R/X was not intended for competition, some riders will likely try some hard core trail riding and risk of an unintended get-off. Resulting in -http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/images/6b.jpg

Sure, overheating is a risk too. But if you're not competing, you can always take a break & let things cool down (not an option in an enduro or hare scramble.

If you want to avoid that, drop Bulletproof an e-mail.

Cheers, magile

...you risked this...

6b.jpg

last Saturday I did wreck the bike following

about a 20 foot drop on the trail that has a

sharp bend at the bottom. I was going too fast

and the bike washed out on me at the bottom.

...you risked this...

6b.jpg

👍

lol.....good eye. Way to put one post up on another thread. And

you may be right, at least in one aspect.

So are you saying that you agree with the use of this

Radiator Guard? Do you feel over heating is a possible

issue?

BTW.....I wasnt going too fast because I was worried

about over heating......I was going too fast because

sometimes its more fun that way.

And sometimes its not......:worthy:

Hi Janet, thanks for posting Janet. I will let Bullet Proof know I am interested.

I was hoping unabiker would make one, but have not seen any signs that they will.

The only manufacturer I have seen that has signaled (listed as "available soon") they will make a guard for the WR-R is B&B Off Road (Australia).

http://www.bboffroad.com.au/yamaha6.htm

I too want solid protection for my radiator.

So are you saying that you agree with the use of this Radiator Guard?

Yes.

You see, I'm not the most talented offroad rider. I always wear a helmet, chest, elbow & knee guards because I have to. 👍

If I'm 70 miles out on the trail and the WR250R is my only way back home, I don't want to walk if I dump it (as usual) because of a crushed/leaking rad.

Do you feel over heating is a possible

issue?

Sure, but for me it's not as likely as a major get-off.:busted:

If the fan comes on I can always stop for a Powerbar break & enjoy the scenery while the bike cools down.

BTW.....I wasnt going too fast because I was worried

about over heating......I was going too fast because

sometimes its more fun that way

Agree BIG TIME - FAST = FUN :worthy:

Cheers, M

They may not have been available when this thread was active over a year ago..:busted:

I have one on my wr250r for about an year.Love it and no over heating problems and easy to install

I have one, and it is a nice product, but I question how well it will protect in a crash. A tipover, possibly pretty well; but an actual crash, it looks like it would fold back in a second.

I'd rather have a Unabiker style one, and might switch if / when Unabiker makes one.

No overheating problems, but my fan does run a lot...