Sign in to follow this  

DMV issue

The idiots at my local stealership registered my 08 DR650 as an off road only bike. I was worried when I received a green sticker in the mail instead of plates. They said they would fix the problem (this is back in June), but I was just informed I need to take my bike to the DMV to have them verify it is street legal. If anyone else has had to do this, what can I expect?--I have already removed the CA smog when I installed my IMS tank. Do I need to put all that crap back on:foul:

thanks for any advice,

dave

They'll probably just glance at it to check that you have blinkers etc. It might be a good idea to just put the emissions cannister back on with a couple of "dummy" hoses going behind the side pannel. As far as the DMV is concerned it should be treated like any other road bike... needing plates, not a green sticker.

And actually your dealer should be the one doing the footwork since they f'ed up the title or whatever.

And actually your dealer should be the one doing the footwork since they f'ed up the title or whatever.

I had a $%^& fit over the phone with the dealer but the dealer insists that the DMV would not take their word for it and they had to see the bike. I think I'll rig up the canister to look like it's connected.

This should be just a quick verification that it's street legal, that the frame and engine #s are correct, etc. Take along all your paperwork from the dealer and the green stickie. There may be a difference in the dmv charge for a stickie opposed to a plate so bring your wallet too. Find an appropriate card in the idiot section for the person responsible at your dealer. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

I bought a used 07 450exc and when I went to register it the DMV was closi g at 5pm and it was 4:45 and the lady behind the counter filled out all of the paper work but said they do not do inspections after 4:30. I was very upset and voiced my feelings and they gave me a form that I could take to any peace officer to verify street legal conditions of the bike. I had a police friend sign the form that I had filled out with all of the right answers. My wife brought in the form the next day and they gave her the new plates.

The idiots at my local stealership registered my 08 DR650 as an off road only bike. I was worried when I received a green sticker in the mail instead of plates. They said they would fix the problem (this is back in June), but I was just informed I need to take my bike to the DMV to have them verify it is street legal. If anyone else has had to do this, what can I expect?--I have already removed the CA smog when I installed my IMS tank. Do I need to put all that crap back on:foul:

thanks for any advice,

dave

Although I don't live in CA, you should cite the dealership by name, so others on the forum won't make the mistake of buying anything from them, like a motorcycle.. 👍

I believe the DMV will check the vin # for the bike also. There are certain check digits in the vin # that they look for to confirm the bike is intended for street use. If the check digits are not there, you will not be able to register the bike for street use, regardless of whether it has turn signals and all the other required parts. Make sure the vin # is easily accessible. I would definitely make sure all the emissions equipment is in place also. When dealing with the DMV, it's best to not try to put anything over on them. They look for what they look for, if it is not there, they are not going to cut you any slack. Give them what they want, be polite and cooperative, and things should go smooth, and then you can make whatever modifications you want once they've inspected the bike.

when I bought my bike I had close to the same issue....the title showed the green sticker # on the title and the green sticker paperwork showed the license plate number when it showed have been the other way around:bonk: . DMV would not let me reg it for street use until i showed them the bike...once they saw it they went oooooo and fixed it...took to supervisor and one old timer to get them to go out and look at it when all they need to do is look at the vin# on the title...keep in my the people that work at the dmv shouldnt vote or reproduce 👍

cameron

Well after a long wait at the DMV (even though I had an appointment:mad: ) I got my verfication form which I will take back to the dealer tomorrow. Luckily they just checked the frame #, the engine # and the CA emissions label, because I only had my smog rigged up to look like it was on. I''m tempted to ask the dealer to compensate me for my time and inconvenience, or ask for some free oil filters or something. They certainly will never see me or my $ again otherwise.

I'm glad it turned out OK. We all sweat DMV hassles. Hit up the dealer for all you can get. Free merch or service work. At that place, get it in writing. Good job.