Sign in to follow this  

V Force 3 Reed Block And Piston Choice

Hey Guys, Was reading the latest issue of DBR here in the uk and they've started to make the ultimate all round 2 smoke bike, Theirs is based on an 08 KX250 ( :D will the ever learn!!) They say the first mod any 2 stroke owner shoud do is fit a v force 3 reed block, Was just wondering if any of you guys have fitted them to your yz's and whats so good about them? they claim more hp throughout the range, crisper throttle responce etc. Also the old girl's going to get a new piston at the end of the enduro season, what can you guys reccomend, the previous owner always used oem items. I've heard about the wiseco single ring piston, how doe's this fare compaired to stock and how long's it's lifespan compaired to stock? is there any other pistons you guys can reccomend? Any help appreciated. Cheers :)

I am not so sure about the V force. The power might build a little lower and it is also smoother. As far as the ultimate......not really. The single ring wiseco piston is a far better hop up. I bought mine just when the 3's came out. I ended up selling a rad valve for a huge profit. I should have kept the rad valve. At least that has some logical thought behind it.

The last dyno I saw on a kx 250 showed a decrease in hp with the v force as compared to the stock reeds on that bike. The article (MXi) magazine did talk about smoother power, but there was a 1hp loss at peak.

I would think you could locate a Wosner piston over there in England. Whether or not it's better than Wiseco, IDK. Personally, I've had both (OEM and Wiseco Pro Lite). The Wiseco's no doubt rev faster than OEM. It's up to you whether that's good or bad. I'm still on the fence about it all.:)

You can indeed get wossner single ring pistons here in the uk, good shout because i can't find a wiseco one listed on the web in the uk as yet. Just wondering about the amount of ride time i will get on one of these, also what will it do to the power of the y zinger?

just call Vic Eastwood and tell them you want the special GP single ring YZ piston.

One bit of advise I would offer is this. Decide what you want the power to be like, then build to suit. The machine runs really well in totally stock form with jetting dialed in. There are very few complete improvements available. Most parts tend to move the power around without making much, if any, more. Decide if your ok giving up low end for more top.

boyesen radvalve is much better than the v force if you believe the people on this website just do a search.i have a 2007 with the radvalve and its much better than the oem one but takes some time to get the jeting sorted.phily cee.

I've got a new piston from a friend of mine who dosen't have his yz anymore. Its a genuine yamaha full kit, how many hours should i change the piston? im just wondering if i should change it before the 12 hour enduro im doing this weekend!!!!

I think the V-Force is over-rated. I had one on my '06 250 and took it off in favor of the stock reed block with Boyesen Pro series reeds. The stock reeds work surprisingly well, also. Most people report better results with the Rad Valve when properly jetted.

Here's a noob question, but how do you know when it's time to replace the reeds or the entire block? How will I be able to tell without pulling apart the block? I only ask cause I'm not very mechanically inclined and don't wanna start pulling things apart unless absolutely necessary (engine wise).

I'm probably alone on that one but it is what it is. 👍

Thanks!

-Chris