Sign in to follow this  

Suggestions for a stock 1986 XR600R

Hi gang!

I just bought "pig" for $200.00

Runs like sh*it, I want to take the carbs out and rebuild them.

My question to ya'll is what are your thoughts on the first things to "upgrade" I would rather not put a whole lot of money in this bike because I can buy them already "tricked out" on e-bay for $1,500 +.

So my thought is to see what the TTC (Thumper Talk Collective) thought and go from there.

I believe I want to upgrade the pegs too, they seem small.

This will be a bike that I will just bounce around town with and have fun "Urban Moto" and occasionally take her up to the hills in the San Gabriel's and Big Bear.

Realistically, it is for me just another resurrected neglected Honda Thumper on the road again.

Oh, speaking of of "on the road again" I want to get her licenced...any thoughts? Thanks in advance for all of your comments and suggestions.

Later~

You can't plate it anymore. Some still slip by due to the general incompetence of the DMV. There are guys who will take the bike through the special construction or salvaged route, but they cost $1500 or so. Not exactly worth it. I say get her running for the minimun $$$ you can spend and sell it for the $1000+ that you can get for it. Then take that cash and look for a XL600 or something that is plated.

When you say it runs like :) , what do you mean exactly. Check compression, check spark, maybe the carbs need cleaning.

Thanks~ Yeah, it runs and will idle up and then die.

Has compression~

Has Spark~

Has Fuel~

This thing sat outside in the mountians for a while (time unkown) although the PO stated he poured Gas in the tank and push started it and it fired up ran for a "few seconds" then died.

Anywho~ I am not really looking for diagnostic engine assistance (although I respectfuly appreciate all thoughts/tips & tricks)

What I am really looking for is information on " Popular Upgrades" to the bike. If there are none, then I'll just run her stock!

It's all good. These were sensational bikes and this one will be no different.

IMO, this bike just needed the cob webs knocked off of it and to be ridden.

Has lots of "Patina"......I could care less about how she looks.

Thanks~

I say get her running for the minimun $$$ you can spend and sell it for the $1000+ that you can get for it. Then take that cash and look for a XL600 or something that is plated.

Good thought!~

I kinda like that idea!

That is what I will do!

Cool~ :)

Like you suspect it's almost for sure the carb. Start with a can or two of spray carb cleaner. Take the carb out and take it completely apart. Get all the metal clean. A toothbrush with the carb cleaner works great. Then using the little tube spray into all the passageways in the carb. Make sure you see carb cleaner coming out of every hole.

If it's real bad in the carb you might end up doing it more than once. I got a bike that had sat for 20 years. All it took was new gas, an oil change, and going through the carbs about three times and it's been running great ever since.

Be careful of the boots between the carb and engine. It's easy to break that 20 year old hard rubber. At least that's what happened to me.

...many swear by SeaFoam :)

...i bought a can but haven't had a need to run it in any of my vehicles :worthy:

:D