Sign in to follow this  

New KLX140L for one of my sons......

Just bought a 2009 KLX140L for one of my twin boys, the

other decided to go with a quad.

I spend most of my time on the Yamaha DS site since I ride

a WR250R. But I figured some of you would be the ones to

ask about the klx.

Are there any free mods that I should look at for the 140?

What about rejetting?

Also, anyone try to lower the bike yet? I would like to get

about a 1 to 1.5" drop on it if possible.

Thanks.:)

Cmon guys.....surely somebody here knows something

about this bike. Im sure I will figure it out if need be,

but someone with some insight experience would be

nice.

Thanks.👍

Im in the same boat you are, I have been looking for info on this bike for a while now and can't find anything. I would sure like to know if there are any free mods...

Hey Rob-- Zad has sme pics that he'll probably post a little later of my ride. You can check it out on PM in the meantime. I'm working on getting a shock made that will make it sit up like a KX85. What are you trying to do with your bike? I know as much as anyone at this point. --L*64

Here is a good place to start: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=631479&highlight=klx140

I don't know of any free mods. Even if you open up the air box you will need to change the jetting. I rejetted ours just to get it running better: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=631789

Quite a bit of info if you do a search. 👍

We did everything but the free mods on my youngest daughters bike. KX forks and front brake, Protaper SE CR hi bars (good for kids, low for Dad), Moose hand guards, Spider grips,

Engines Only 160cc big bore kit, Engines Only cam, Engines Only pipe and header, ported head, Engines Only Mikuni carb and intake manifold.

This bike is a complete blast to ride on the nastiest single track and feels far lighter than our CRF150F with CR85 suspension.

She even got her picture on the EO website http://xr100.com/images/Kaw%20140%20images/KLX%20140L.JPG

I bought it for my wife to ride, but I want to be able to have fun it to, and it is way corked up from the factory. Where do you find the bigger jets for it? I looked at the ones for the klx110 but kawasaki doesn't offer them in the right size?

Thanks for all the info, sorry for the threadjack Zadok 👍

Hey Rob-- Zad has sme pics that he'll probably post a little later of my ride. You can check it out on PM in the meantime. I'm working on getting a shock made that will make it sit up like a KX85. What are you trying to do with your bike? I know as much as anyone at this point. --L*64

Here ya go.....

Picture009.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Yeah-- I only have it mocked up for pics. If you look down at the shock and linkage, the shock isn't even bolted to the linkage. I had to find out how long the new shock needs to be in order to have the rear suspension match the KX100 front, and have it so that the linkage doesn't bottom out on itself. Where it's at, it matches the front, and it still has 3/8 of an inch before the parts hit each other on the linkage. I'm going to have the shock made 22 mm longer than stock. In the first pic, the bike is choppered like all the 140's are with a KX100 front, and nothing done to the rear. --L*64

.... I'm going to have the shock made 22 mm longer than stock.

If you want to see a 22mm increase in SEAT HEIGHT, then your shock length is going to be approx. 1/3rd of 22mmm (due to the linkage).

I wasn't as concerned about the seat hieght as much as the travel of the rear end. With this set up-- the front has about ten inches of travel, and the rear has about seven. That's not going to cut it...

If you look at the rear linkage in the pics-- the part where the shock mounts up is hanging way low-- about 22 mm to be exact. I was thinking that I could just get a longer shock made a la Works, and call it a day. I don't like how low that part would hang.

The more I stare at it, the more I'm thinking that I will have to have the link parts (dog bone links) shortened a bit. I'm thinking that would have the spot where the shock mounts up in it's stock location, only with the increased ride height.

The other problem with this rear, is that the stock shock itself has a relatively short shaft that limits the rear travel. I'll have to have Works make a shock that has a longer shaft, but is the stock length.

As far as I know-- the links only control ride height, and not the leverage dynamics of the linkage or shock. Anybody an engineer out there with any input? --L*64

The first pic is with the KX100 forks with the stock rear. The nezt pics I have it mocked up with it sitting the way I want it to sit. It's choppered in the stock pic. ---T

4strokeridertt,

That's been my experience also. With the KX85/KX100 Front End on the KLX140L, the Bike sits virtually the same as stock when the Forks are slid up in the Triple Clamps.

Per luckystar54's comments - yes, the stock Bike does seem a bit 'choppered' from the factory. But the handling feels great to me. Please keep us informed of your progress!

Erik

The first pic is with the KX100 forks with the stock rear. The nezt pics I have it mocked up with it sitting the way I want it to sit. It's choppered in the stock pic. ---T

ahey! i see ure still tryin to get the shock figured out ...

here are some pics of mine w the kx100 forks on

005.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg