Sign in to follow this  

Laguna Hanson area & Racers and Ranchers

Just got my R&R email, which referenced this posing by Seve on Baja.net.

http://www.baja.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24642

This is a good read about Rudy, Lance, and Seve's meeting with ranchers and rangers down in the area and made me think about how important those signs really are. In general I would guess that those that visit this site and other Baja sites are more in tune with what is going on and likely to be more respectful to the residents down there. Hopefully those signs will get the message across to everyone else. Just like in California, riding areas are easy to lose and difficult if not impossible to get back. Only difference is that it probably does not involve a vote down there, only a locked gate that can go up at any time.

This paragraph was what really caught my eye:

National Park. Great talk with the 2 rangers on duty and very responsive to the Racers and Ranchers effort. The rangers have a posted 40 kph (about 25 mph) speed limit. New signs direct that motos and ATV's stay on the main road, and the park roads are for passage only. It is illegal to divert to some of the back single track or enter the dry lake bed. They are considering CLOSING the National Park to motos and ATV's completely - not even "passage." Classic example of just 2-3 bad apples spoiling the bumper crop.

This would be an absolute disaster if closed. Is this not what happened over at the obseratory? Rudy/Lance, I did not realize the part about not diverting from the main road. Can you comment a little about that? Seems like everyone gets to that main road or goes from that main road via some singletrack or other less used roads. Is this to say that essentially you need to get on and off the main road from the start at each end? :)

Thanks

Thanks for posting. Good idea to get the word out to as many people as possible.

Also thanks to Rudy, Lance and Seve for their efforts in trying to keep as many trails as possible open.

Nice Post and link to Baja.net. We all need to self police ourselves and set the best examples for others. Ironically, Rudy, Lance and Seve are doing that for us by representing our interests in Baja.:D

Thanks for setting a great example fellas.:)

For more information on Racers and Ranchers, click

http://www.racersandranchers.com/

Roosty...

Gracias Muchacho!! Muchas Gracias!!!

I think it's time I also give back (done-signed up), and start be enlisting in the Racers and Ranchers Militia (not to be confused with Mullisha!). You guys (speak'a de Spanish) are truly doing great things by getting the word out to the locals (that truly some of us know better), and want to help... as well, helping get the word out to the riders and people who enjoy the area(s).

I was able to witness a friend bust a wheelie, and cause some serious dust the other day (on video - in an area definitely not cool to be doing over 15-10mph) that I didn't know about... and asked W-T-F he thought. *head down in shame* ... He knows better. Just getting caught up in the excitement is all it takes. We've all done it.... but this self policing, and support you guys at R&R have been doing is just awesome for the entire gamut of locals to riders.

:):D

We talked to several key people during this trip but let me address ONLY the National Park section. As many of you know the National Park is where Laguna Hanson is located. You can enter the park from La Rumorosa, from Santa Veronica (off El Compadre Trail) and from Hwy-3 (east from Ojos Negros). The rangers at the park explained to us that riding an off-road vehicle inside the park is NOT permitted but you can travel through the park with an off-road vehicle only on the main graded road and nothing else. The speed, noise and dust level should be kept to a minimum. Any single track or graded road that are not the main-road are off limits to off-road vehicles. The rangers told us that some off roaders ride too fast through the main graded road. Some people go out and camp in the National Park and bring their off road vehicles and then used them while camping. The rangers told us that they have talked about closing access to all off roaders or possibly re-routing off road vehicles so that they don't enter the National Park. The rangers also posted new signs in Spanish to warn off roaders about the speed limit and that they are only allowed on the main road. The reason why off road vehicles are still able to cross the National Park is because this road is the only "Camino Vecinal" that will allow people access from one point to another. This "open road" is there for people to use it without closing access to them but off road vehicles have benefited from it; although, it was never intended for off roaders to use.

R&R will coordinate with the officials at the park and enter into a dialogue of good neighbors to come up with a solution to this escalating problem. R&R will set up a meeting (or series of meetings) with the National Park offices and officials in Mexicali to see how we can all work together. The rangers are willing to negotiate a viable solution but in the mean time we as off roaders need to pass the word out to everyone that we must slow down, stay on the main road, be gentle on the dust and noise and not cause any problems in the National Park; otherwise, any attempt to negotiate a solution may be jeopardize for all off roaders. I know we all enjoy going out to the rocks and Laguna area but we have to keep in mind that it is not OK to be off the main graded road.

Thanks in advance and we hope to gain your support so that ALL off roaders can enjoy this route for years to come. I hate to see it closed to off roaders much like the observatory area. Of course, this is only our initial recon so stay tune for much more information and updates. As you can expect this will not be a short easy fix, this will take some time and effort on behalf of all parties involved. :)

Thanks for the explanation Rudy. Not what I was hoping to hear, but I guess we have to consider ourselves lucky to be able to even ride through a place like that. Can't beat pine trees, or pine trees and snow, or pine trees with a gas station in the middle! :)

Rudy, I have forwarded your info and the website to my mother in ensenada,

she writes for Baja News and several other english mags. She and I have had many a debate about off roading and racing in Baja. I believe that whats being done by racers and ranchers does show a true concern for the enviroment and local ranchers and ultimatly will be a very positive out come for all parties. Racers and ranchers could benifit from some publicity both with local papers and with the baja mags my mom writes for. Awarness for both US and local riders is what is needed, some of the worst offenders are local riders, we need to get them on board. I have many contacts in ensenada and san felipe and homes in both if you needed a place to stay or store equipment.

I will have some free time after the 1000 and will be more than willing to give some time to this effort. I speak spanish fluently and understand needs of ranchers and farmers having been one myself.

one of your new members

Brett Frederickson

please contact me at 619 981 6042

thanks to all for your support and helping pass the word around. it is a delicate balance between off road vehicles and preserving the ability to enjoy Baja in such a way that we all have mutual respect. let's preserve this beautiful opportunity for future generations to come.

Brett, thanks for stepping up and becoming a member. I noted your number and will call you late this afternoon.

ps: R&R welcomes four new members: Johnny Airtime, Chris Wilson, Patrick Williams and Brett Frederickson. :worthy:

the total R&R membership is approximately 105 strong!!! 👍

Does anyone have a map or diagram that shows the general boundaries of the National Park area? Would be good to know roughly at what point you are inside or outside the park limits. I.E, when you need to be on one of the three entrance roads.

Does anyone have a map or diagram that shows the general boundaries of the National Park area? Would be good to know roughly at what point you are inside or outside the park limits. I.E, when you need to be on one of the three entrance roads.

I have several maps that show boundaries, but to know if they are perfectly accurate?! Not sure ....

I think the point is... when you see the actual signs on the entrance and exit roads into the park (which are nice wooden signs), don't take the 'off-road' or 'single-track' that we all so love.... stay on the road, and enjoy the cruise through the trees (even though it's so easy to blast tree to tree and dodge the wood!!).

I'll be sure to stay on the roads from now on, as I too know of a couple SUPER COOL single tracks up in that area. I'll also keep my amigos on the road, and at slow - near dustless speeds. 👍

I have several maps that show boundaries, but to know if they are perfectly accurate?! Not sure ....

I think the point is... when you see the actual signs on the entrance and exit roads into the park (which are nice wooden signs), don't take the 'off-road' or 'single-track' that we all so love.... stay on the road, and enjoy the cruise through the trees (even though it's so easy to blast tree to tree and dodge the wood!!).

I'll be sure to stay on the roads from now on, as I too know of a couple SUPER COOL single tracks up in that area. I'll also keep my amigos on the road, and at slow - near dustless speeds. 👍

Thanks for the good work Racers and Ranchers. Brett, Justin and I rode around Laguna Hason yesterday. I was surprised at how clearly marked the preserve is. Perhaps I hadn't been paying attention as much before, but there are many signs, especially off the main road. There is also a lot of new fencing in the area. It seems that the area is almost impossible to miss.

And I'd like to add, for the dust kickers amongst us, that we got stuck behind a couple of suvs just before the lake. Those things threw up about 10 times the dust we did and we were all just putting. Not cool to pass there as the road is not really that wide (notice all the trees that are splintered from cars hitting them) and to hop off the road pretty much puts on you virgin ground. The point though, is that as little dust as we threw up compared to them, as off roaders we will always be looked at as the culprits and the cars as sort of a necessary evil. I don't think anyone will ever complain about the dust from cars and trucks unless they are going out of their way to be a-holes, so bikes need to be extra careful.

By the way, at the saw mill we were told by some locals that next weekend (Labor day weekend, but not sure of the day) is Ramona's 79th birthday. 👍 . I think we had more of an appreciation for the pit stop there than we would have during cooler months. It was really tough to leave.