Sign in to follow this  

Headlight Replacement Bulb

I have a friend with a 2004 WR250F. He has an aftermarket headlight kit on it that normally contains two 35 Watt halogen bulbs (one of them is a spot, and one of them is a flood). The spot headlight has burned out and we've been unable to find a 12V 35watt halogen spot replacement locally, but we can find a 50W. So, if we put in a 50W and a 35W, it's going to draw about 1.25amps more than it would with two 35W bulbs. According to the owner's manual, it looks like the AC magneto (stator) supplies 14V/120W at 5000RPM. Any idea if this extra 15W from the 50W bulb (rather than the standard 35W) is going to cause any problems?

Thanks for the help,

Matt

You can buy those 35 watt lights at any home electrical place, even Home Depot or Lowes. They are from low voltage track lighting.
Yeah, that's where I was able to find the 50W spot bulb, but they didn't have any 35W spots. I don't know if they were out of stock, or if they don't carry them. I couldn't see a spot on the shelf for where the 35W should be. Either way, it's not a direct replacement for his stock bulbs. When I put the new bulb in, it kinda rattles around a little in the mount. I'm thinking we could probably "shim" it a little to make it fit better, but it might be better just to find the direct replacement.
baja designs sells them... https://www.bajadesigns.com/net/mainframe2.aspx?login=YES&category=MCYCLE

under dual sport replacement parts~then under headlight replacement parts

Thanks, but the bulb I'm looking for is different than the ones Baja Designs sells. Here's a picture:

BC1680_fs.jpg

Yeah, that's where I was able to find the 50W spot bulb, but they didn't have any 35W spots. I don't know if they were out of stock, or if they don't carry them. I couldn't see a spot on the shelf for where the 35W should be. Either way, it's not a direct replacement for his stock bulbs. When I put the new bulb in, it kinda rattles around a little in the mount. I'm thinking we could probably "shim" it a little to make it fit better, but it might be better just to find the direct replacement.

Thanks, but the bulb I'm looking for is different than the ones Baja Designs sells. Here's a picture:

BC1680_fs.jpg

thats a halogen? who makes the headlight, looks like it goes to a acerbis DHH

if it does here is your replacement... http://www.cyclepages.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=2504599

The name of that bulb is an "MR16". It is used for track lighting and comes either with or without glass in front of the bulb. Usually you'll need the glass for an offroad light.

thats a halogen? who makes the headlight, looks like it goes to a acerbis DHH

if it does here is your replacement... http://www.cyclepages.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=2504599

Yeah, it's a halogen. It's not from the Acerbis DHH, though. Unfortunately I don't know who makes the headlight assembly. Here is a picture of it. Any chance anyone knows who makes this?

HeadlightSmall.jpg

The name of that bulb is an "MR16". It is used for track lighting and comes either with or without glass in front of the bulb. Usually you'll need the glass for an offroad light.
Yeah, the bulbs I found were "MR16"s, but like I said, when I tried to install them, they don't quite fit right.

Thanks for the help guys,

Matt

What do you mean that it doesn't fit right? Is the glass too wide or deep?

That light is more than a few years old so maybe the bulbs in it were made differently back then.

It seems as though the "lip" on the front edge of the light isn't quite thick enough, so the metal piece (shown in the picture of the headlight assembly) doesn't create enough pressure to hold the light securely in place. I'm pretty sure we can figure out something to shim it so that it's tight, but I don't know what to use that won't melt since the light gets pretty hot. Do you think electrical tape would work? Maybe silicone would be better?

It seems as though the "lip" on the front edge of the light isn't quite thick enough, so the metal piece (shown in the picture of the headlight assembly) doesn't create enough pressure to hold the light securely in place. I'm pretty sure we can figure out something to shim it so that it's tight, but I don't know what to use that won't melt since the light gets pretty hot. Do you think electrical tape would work? Maybe silicone would be better?

just get a clear piece of plastic to put in there, or dremel out the inside so it only goes around the light to hold it in place