Sign in to follow this  

what is the life expectancy of?

hi everyone, i have an 06 DRZ400SM with a yosh ss RS-2, a 37 mm FCR, 3x3, k&n filter and manual CCT. how long can i expect the piston/rings, cam chain, and crank to last? i use 20w50 Amsoil and i change it along with the filter about every 2000 to 2500 miles. It now has just over 6000 miles and i switched to synthetic oil at 3000 miles. it is only ridden on the street, but i like to turn the throttle, but i never see the rev limiter. i weigh around 220lbs in my gear. Anyone have any info or advice? i hope this doesn't seem like a stupid question. By the way, i think i posted in the wrong forum, please forgive me Eddie

Thanks in advance for your help.

tom

hi William,

i have the TT MCCT, and how often do you recommend i check the adjustment on that? Do you recommend oil changes every 1000 to 1500 miles? How do you feel about Amsoil? do you have a preference? BTW, i checked the frame oil screen, and found virtually no contaminants/metal. Do you also recommend an oil filter change every oil change, or is every other enough, especially if i'm changing at 1000 mile intervals? THanks again for the wealth of knowledge you posess! tom

MCCT, once every 10,000 miles or sooner if you hear the tell tale sound of 'nuts in a coffee can'.

Amsoil is good stuff. I run Silkolene 15W50, but, run what you want. The differences are minimal, both great products.

I change every 1,000 miles, sometimes sooner. I can feel the trans shifting get notchy as I approach the 1K mark and lokk ast that as a signakl as the it is time to change the oil.

Frame screen only needs to be checked at the first oil change or anytime any major work on the inside of the engine is done.

I change the oil, I change the filter. Only five more bucks.

Thanks William, i appreciate your willingness to share. your expertise invaluable to me. His is a great site because of folks like you. God Bless!