Sign in to follow this  

Starter Relay Assy.

I feel like a complete moron, I have a 05 WR250F and my bike wouldn't start and my battery wouldn't hold a charge. With that said, I bought a new battery, $50.00. Get it home and charge it , the bike starts. Then, the next day it wouldn't start. I already took the starter button apart and cleaned it and I could here it clicking when I hit the button so I knew it was making contact. I went to my local motorcycle shop today that I've been dealing with for sometime and the Service Manager told me it might be the Starter Relay and he lead me through on how to test if it's bad. Yep, it was bad and there goes another $40.00 I've spent. I should have come on here and ask if anyone has ran into this issue, oh well a lesson learned. If anyone is interested here's where it's located and it's part number. #27 (part# 5TJ-81940-11-00)

partimage-1.gif

This happened to me the past two weeks too. Also replaced battery and it was "flat" halfway through ride. Got home and checked the charge and it was still +16v. So I jump started the starter bypasssing all relays etc as per manual and it could not swing motor. I then suspected starter motor assembly - pulled it off and saw that brushes were minimum spec. I am waiting for parts and will give feedback if it was the problem.

This happened to me the past two weeks too. Also replaced battery and it was "flat" halfway through ride. Got home and checked the charge and it was still +16v. So I jump started the starter bypasssing all relays etc as per manual and it could not swing motor. I then suspected starter motor assembly - pulled it off and saw that brushes were minimum spec. I am waiting for parts and will give feedback if it was the problem.

Part #32 Relay Assy. was the problem.

Jumps starting the battery you bypass all relays. I ran wire directly from battery and it was still unable to swing motor with 16V's - that surely indicate a problem with the s motor / clutch assembly. Anyway - will know tomorrow when I have replaced motor brushes.

My long overdue feedback.

My problem is solved. It was a charging problem. My voltmeter was giving wrong reading. I took it to dealer and we replaced all the parts one by one. Coil, rectifier - no luck - charging voltage did not come right. Studying the wiring diagram and looking at the weak main beam light - the mechanic took off the head light and found filament broke and caused dead short. Replaced the bulb and charging voltage was right.

The sad thing is that the bulb went when I took her for her first ride so this means the lighting side of the rectifier has packed up but at least the charging side is working fine.

There appears to be 2 circuits in the rectifier - for lights and for charging - do not ask me why the short on the lighting circuit caused a problem on the charging circuit - all I know my bike has a working battery and magic button again!

Just Remember Guys A Dry Cell 12 Volt Batt Can Say It Has 12 Volts Even When It Does Not Have Enough Amps To Turn The Motor Over. Im An Electircan And It Has Fooled Many People Many Times. Voltage Only Is 100 Percent Accurate On Ac Voltage