Sign in to follow this  

Hyde plastic skid plate

Anyone use it? like it?

I am curious.

My E-Line carbon fiber unit is getting pretty beat up.

I even got a pretty good dent on the frame rail.

Dont hijack this with your alum skid plate testimonies- I know how they work.

Thanks

I used a hyde and it only lasted me 2 rides before I ripped it off going through a rock garden. Honestly I wouldn't ever buy another one just because they are so pricey, and no major distributer like parts, tr, wps. So that means you have to order directly from them.

Here is what mine looked like after ripping it off. I was able to zip-ty it back on for the remainder of the ride.

P5050135.jpg

P5050136.jpg

Some quicksteel on the mounting points and luckily i found the mouting plate on the trail.

P5050137.jpg

P5050138.jpg

Now would this have happened with aluminum, probably not.

I used a hyde and it only lasted me 2 rides before I ripped it off going through a rock garden. Honestly I wouldn't ever buy another one just because they are so pricey, and no major distributer like parts, tr, wps. So that means you have to order directly from them.

Here is what mine looked like after ripping it off. I was able to zip-ty it back on for the remainder of the ride.

P5050135.jpg

P5050136.jpg

Some quicksteel on the mounting points and luckily i found the mouting plate on the trail.

P5050137.jpg

P5050138.jpg

Now would this have happened with aluminum, probably not.

Thanks Tattooart.

Thats what I need to know.

Looks like a Works Connection in my future.

Oh shits i've bought one...but fortunately, i still have my utah from previous X in spare....

p8150013ca5.jpg

p8150013ca5.9018ccc075.jpg

I have a Hyde plate on my X. It's taken some good hits and so far it's holding up. It was a pain to install. I had to modify the bolt holes to make it fit because none of them lined up properly.

That looks like one of the early Honda guards and would have been replaced at N/C.

When I called I was told to pound sand(in a nice way).

I just bought one and am having a hell of a time getting the holes to line up also. I'm fabricating my own bracket. I wouldn't buy another one due to the inconvenience and effort required. I think the concept is great.

I use the plastic XR650 plate and like it. It has held up very well and I have no complaints. It's definitely a good option if you're on a budget (only $35).. Some may warn me of disastrous results for not running the aluminum but there are different schools of thought on running aluminum vs. plastic.. I happen to like both-- they each have their pros & cons, but the first option is to avoid those gnarly obstacles in the first place. :banana:

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=70410

I have had the Hyde on my bike for about a year so far with no hassles. As previously mentioned it's a pain to pull off and put back on as the holes don't line up exactly. I also had to do some shaving of the edges to make it fit the contours of my engine. It does look like it's a stock part for the bike which is nice instead of a flat aluminium plate. It also has no vibration noise like aluminum plates sometimes do. I have had a few light hits and plenty of stone and it's doing fine. Dealing with the company was a pain in the a.. It took the guy two months to ship it out and only after I followed him up. I think there are other manufacturers our there doing plastic now (acerbis?) so I would go there first.

hydeplate.jpg

I also have a Hyde skid plate on my 450X. I've slid over a few logs and no problems so far. I haven't had any heavy rocks to deal with so don't know how it holds up to them. The install isn't too bad as long as you have a Dremel or similar tool to "open up" the mounting holes and trim the skid plate edges so it fits better along the frame rails.