Sign in to follow this  

Yay for old farts! (Olympics)

It was fun watching 42(or so) year old Dana Torres kick butt in her swimming, and (sorry I can't remember her name) the 38 year old woman who won the girl's marathon--the oldest olympic women's winner :) I think one of the beach volleyball girls are "up there" too.

Just thought it was cool! Watch out little girls!!!

Heads up the horses are on Thursday on NBC!!! they are on today, Monday(supposedly) on Oxygen

A 33 yr old from Germany (can't recall her name!) also won a medal (a silver I think?) in women's gymnastics last night... amazing considering most of the other competitors are teens!!

:)

It was fun watching 42(or so) year old Dana Torres kick butt...

My wife and I watched that as I was recovering from a pounding day (but great day) of moto - it certainly helped ease the pain a bit and gave me renewed hope. My wife sure ragged on me though... :)

Ian Miller of Canada is 61, spoiler--->his team got silver for team jumping(US got gold:D), they said he's been to 9 Olympics. I wish they'd do more stories on people like this!

I just saw the story on the 33 year old gymnast, awesome story!!!!

They say 60 is the new 40.👍 I'm just getting started. Considering I started a family before I started playing. Kind of backwards I guess. Now it's juggling the two together that is tricky.:worthy:

Your only as old as you think you are......... Im going to consider myself young until I die. Woo Hoo to all who play hard and feel young.:busted:

Wow, I must be considered an old fart now, if 42, 38 and 33 are in that class. I was just thinking I was middle aged, not really old.

Wow, I must be considered an old fart now, if 42, 38 and 33 are in that class. I was just thinking I was middle aged, not really old.

Hey, I don't think your even middle aged yet.

When is that anyway??? I hate when people think their old when they hit 40. That seems so young still.

It was fun watching 42(or so) year old Dana Torres kick butt in her swimming, and (sorry I can't remember her name) the 38 year old woman who won the girl's marathon--the oldest olympic women's winner 👍 I think one of the beach volleyball girls are "up there" too.

Just thought it was cool! Watch out little girls!!!

Heads up the horses are on Thursday on NBC!!! they are on today, Monday(supposedly) on Oxygen

I am terrible with names, but I think the Beach Volley Ball player just had her 30th birthday if that is who you are thinking of. She is the tall gal on the USA team. I thought the guys were up there too. Not as impressive as the gymnast and runners though.

they are "old farts" by Olympic standards (especially gymnastics)--still think it's cool to see them compete competitively with the kids. Totally sends the message that experience and discipline rocks. And if I start now I can still kick butt when I'm 73(that's when my grandma quit riding her baby honda:D)--or 92, like Jack LaLanne.

And I think it's cool that Michael Phelps will be on Frosted Flakes boxes(not some fiber pine needle cereal). 👍

Torres, and the rest, are inspiring on a number of levels.

I remember reading -- somewhere -- a detailed description of Torres's workout routine. Bear in mind that she's spending some serious money on coaches and full-time massage therapists. But what struck me was a) how much time she spent in the gym, and 👍 how comparatively little time she spent in the pool. Her training plan was so well-thought-out that it became a source of competitive advantage. Incredible.

Yet what she did is nothing that mere mortals can't replicate on a scale consistent with amateur status and the demands of work and family. Which leaves me with no excuses.

--

Mark