Sign in to follow this  

Played U-Boat commander with a 2000 XR650r

I was riding through a swamp and laid my pig down in water while running. Sucked all sorts of stuff into it but after pulling the side cover off, letting the swamp out and kicking for about 45 minutes, I got her running. I thought all was well until riding in the NH Classic turkey run a week later and the bike died 25 miles in. Got her back to camp, tore the Edelbrock carb down ( couldn't take the inside bottom plate off where the foam is - funny torx screws) and after cleaning it out best I could, she was able to be started but only ran ok in mid-high rpms. Low down she wouldn't run well or idle. Was able to ride 85 miles of the following day's run but it was a challenge to keep the rpms up.

Any ideas? I'm definitely not carb-savvy. All stock motor with an HRC exhaust insert.

Thanks for all advice..

Did you have the spark plug out when you kicked for 45 minutes?

The danger of drowning a motor in water is getting a hydraulic lock where a valve could get bent.

A big problem when drowning the bike is water ingestion into the crankcase. Did you change the oil?

Did any crud end up in the gas tank? Sounds like you need to do a real carb cleaning at home.

...why wudn't the auto(or manual) decomp system prevent topend damage??? ...seems like it wud on a thumper :)

...now that my airbox is drilled i'm a bit more "exposed" :D

TIA

kenny

...why wudn't the auto(or manual) decomp system prevent topend damage??? ...seems like it wud on a thumper :)

...now that my airbox is drilled i'm a bit more "exposed" :D

TIA

kenny

That is possible, but I wouldn't take the chance with out pulling the plug.

I did the same thing with my R. Lost it in a deep hole. First I drained the airbox then drained the carb. finally got it to sputter then start on about the 20th kick. It probably would have started faster if I pulled the plug (IMS tank doesn't make that easy). I finally got it out of there and back home. I changed the oil before my next ride. I did notice that it was still running bad so I pulled the carb (stock). Bottom of the boal had dirt particles in there and a clump of mud on the bottom. I went nuts with the carb cleaner. I also did a quick jet change too while I was at it. Runs awesome. Sorry I can't help with the Edelbrock.

It was hydro locked and the decomp lever allowed me to get the stuff out of the cylinder. After I had gotten it started it did run ok until the turkey run; probably dislodged some crud in the carb. After tearing the carb apart it ran good at mid-hi rpms so I doubt there's any engine damage. Changed the oil too.

Sooooo any experts with the Edelbrock carb on a Pig? Is there a special torx screwdriver for the bolts in the bottom of the bowl and any tips on settings?