Sign in to follow this  

My bike starts without the choke on, and smokes?????? HELP

My bike ( 2006 RM 250 ) seems to be running well! I have put over 5 hours of track time on it since I bought it ( bought it used) . It has started without the use of the choke since I bought it. I was reading some threads and was concerned that I should need the choke in order to start it, and perhaps its running to rich on start up. My bike has also started to smoke....just started this morning. I am thinking its because I changed my ratio from 36:1 to 32:1. The gas sat for over a week before I put it in. would that cause the smoke. I am going to try some 36:1 tonight and see if that makes the difference. Any other advice would be great!

Ken

My bike starts all the time without the choke, especially if it is warm out. Your bike is probably running a little rich so check the plug and rejet if needed. I run 32:1 for mx, very little or no smoke. It also might be the oil you are using as well.

mine smokes w/ choke on too , clears after choke off, only need choke on first start up for the day and starts 1 kick rest of day w/ no choke

i cant believe how many people run 32:1 that just seems like too much. I always ran 50:1

I always run the factory specs. There's a reason they want you to run 32:1. 50:1 is just too lean for me to race with. I might do 50:1 if I was doing tight woods riding. Amsoil has that new oil out now where you run it 100:1. Now that's nuts!

Your pilot jet may be too rich if it's starts easily with no choke, smokes, spooges.

Like KX02 said your pilot jet is too rich. I run Motul at 40:1, never had any problems. Learned that from a guy who raced two strokes for quite a few years.