Sign in to follow this  

RV Question: Keep or Junk?

Bought a 1985 Winnebago 33' Chieftain Class A from a friend last year for $6000.00. He said it had 4000 miles on a new GM Good wrench Crate Motor 454 Big Block. New exhaust system, new brakes, new AC on roof, new fridge. Used it 3 times, less than 1000 miles, engine blew:mad: Called the guy, he said he bought it the year before with the new engine installed from the previous owner. Priced a Jasper 454, $2,500.00 plus around $1000.00 to install. Found a pick-up with a 454, no price on engine yet. Found a complete RV, same model, same year, 46,000 miles, $3000.00. Don't know what to do. PS This thing gets maybe 7 miles to the gallon, is it worth putting money into it or just take the loss and junk it.:D:)

Assuming you will be using an RV a lot...

buy the one that is running (have the engine, etc. checked out to make sure it is not about to give up the ghost!) and keep the broken one for spare parts, etc. This works best if you have a place to store them both.

good luck

RV's generally get around 6 to 10mpg. We averaged 8.5 MPG to Yellowstone and back to AZ in our 31' Class C V-10. Worth every penny for fun factor. But, it's not cheap. It's all a balance of fun vs. funds. Everyones threshold is different.

Honestly, if gas milage is going to break you, an RV is not a great value.

• Like 1

Bought a 1985 Winnebago 33' Chieftain Class A from a friend last year for $6000.00. He said it had 4000 miles on a new GM Good wrench Crate Motor 454 Big Block. New exhaust system, new brakes, new AC on roof, new fridge. Used it 3 times, less than 1000 miles, engine blew:mad: Called the guy, he said he bought it the year before with the new engine installed from the previous owner. Priced a Jasper 454, $2,500.00 plus around $1000.00 to install. Found a pick-up with a 454, no price on engine yet. Found a complete RV, same model, same year, 46,000 miles, $3000.00. Don't know what to do. PS This thing gets maybe 7 miles to the gallon, is it worth putting money into it or just take the loss and junk it.:worthy:👍

What happened to the engine. Is it fixable. You've got other good stuff on the current RV.

If you can do all repairs yourself, then try to fix the engine. Big bock chevys, although a pain to remove, are super easy to work on. Only work on the current RV if you plan on keeping it forever.

Personally, I would put the new engine in the existing rv because its the same price as the other rv you are looking at and you have other good stuff on it already.

Bought a 1985 Winnebago 33' Chieftain Class A from a friend last year for $6000.00. He said it had 4000 miles on a new GM Good wrench Crate Motor 454 Big Block. New exhaust system, new brakes, new AC on roof, new fridge. Used it 3 times, less than 1000 miles, engine blew:mad: Called the guy, he said he bought it the year before with the new engine installed from the previous owner. Priced a Jasper 454, $2,500.00 plus around $1000.00 to install. Found a pick-up with a 454, no price on engine yet. Found a complete RV, same model, same year, 46,000 miles, $3000.00. Don't know what to do. PS This thing gets maybe 7 miles to the gallon, is it worth putting money into it or just take the loss and junk it.:worthy:👍

Have you talked to GM yet? They'll have the serial number of the engine in their system, and may be able to help on the warranty of the engine. Can't hurt to try.

As for junking and starting over with something else, it's very likely you could wind up with another turd.....if you put an engine in this one, then you know what you have.

You likely won't get anything dramatically better than 7 mpg with any RV.

DSC01338.jpg

DSC01337.jpg

DSC01336.jpg

Here's some shots of my setup, to one with the newer RV is like comparing apples to oranges, were can a get into a Class A for under $10,000. That new rig is at least $250,000-$300,000.

1st Response: I do not have the space to store both, this in NJ, we have a million people per mile and storage fees are $100-$150 per month, plus do not have the time to work on both rigs, the seller did say he had the room at his farm and would let me us his barn and equipment, nice guy.

2nd Response: gas prices are a given, cost money to have fun!

3rd:My mechanic said heavy rod knock plus maybe cracked head. Leaning towards the new engine, this way a could travel out of state without a worry.

4th: Checked with GM, 18 months warranty or mileage, its over the 18 month period.

Final : $3500.00 for new engine installed or used with unknown condition and price?

Junk yard motors to offer warranties

DSC01338.jpg

DSC01337.jpg

DSC01336.jpg

Here's some shots of my setup, to one with the newer RV is like comparing apples to oranges, were can a get into a Class A for under $10,000. That new rig is at least $250,000-$300,000.

1st Response: I do not have the space to store both, this in NJ, we have a million people per mile and storage fees are $100-$150 per month, plus do not have the time to work on both rigs, the seller did say he had the room at his farm and would let me us his barn and equipment, nice guy.

3rd:My mechanic said heavy rod knock plus maybe cracked head. Leaning towards the new engine, this way a could travel out of state without a worry.

4th: Checked with GM, 18 months warranty or mileage, its over the 18 month period.

Final : $3500.00 for new engine installed or used with unknown condition and price?

While salvage yards offer warranties on their product (the $$ value that you spent with them), they do not offer any labor warranties. You're out the R&R $$ the second time around. This alone is enough to make me shy away from junkyard motors for something like this-a beater PU where you could work on it at home, that's different.

I thought GM Goodwrench engines were 36 month, 100k mile warranty? http://www.goodwrench.com/PartsAccessories/Engines.jsp

At least their site says so.👍

GM Warranty "Medium Duty Truck, Class A Motor home: 18 months or 100,000 mile, which ever comes first". Past the 18 month period.

I would go with the reman unit. remember if your old block is damaged youll be paying the core charge as well. so it could be more than 3500.

I would go with the reman unit. remember if your old block is damaged youll be paying the core charge as well. so it could be more than 3500.

Looks like you are right, Jasper Engine Price; $4456.00, Core Deposit:$1500.00

Plus Proof of New External Oil Cooler required if bearing failure occurs on your new engine. Sounds like that's what happened, heard a high pitched scream before motor stopped, spun bearing?? This is getting to be more than I paid for it, now what, used engine from pick-up???

Sweet pics. I've got more in my unit than it's worth to sell...but it's a known. Getting something used (motor or a different unit) is a gamble.

If:

The rest of the unit works for you.

It's in decent shape other than the motor.

You planned on keeping it for a long term.

You plan on using it often.

I'd put a new Crate motor in and enjoy as many trips like the one in your photo as I could.👍 Still way cheaper than getting a new unit and losing $10,000 or so in depreciation right off the lot.

Looks like you are right, Jasper Engine Price; $4456.00, Core Deposit:$1500.00

Plus Proof of New External Oil Cooler required if bearing failure occurs on your new engine. Sounds like that's what happened, heard a high pitched scream before motor stopped, spun bearing?? This is getting to be more than I paid for it, now what, used engine from pick-up???

Local reputable engine builder who might reman the bottom end for 1/3 that price?

Local reputable engine builder who might reman the bottom end for 1/3 that price?

I did get a price of $2500.00 to rebuild the existing engine plus labor to remove and re-install, about another $1000, brings that to around $3500 plus any extras:crazy:

I did get a price of $2500.00 to rebuild the existing engine plus labor to remove and re-install, about another $1000, brings that to around $3500 plus any extras:crazy:

WOW, IDK what to tell you, maybe shop around some more?

Sounds kinda high, IMHO. My parents just had the V10 in their 2000 Class A overhauled, R&R'ed, and all the misc stuff for $5k....and that's alot newer, more complex, and expensive engine to rebuild.

DSC01338.jpg

DSC01337.jpg

DSC01336.jpg

You obviously a guy who uses his toys. Its clear that you have a lot going on there and need to have a reliable motorhome for the family.

The heavy rod knock is not a good sign. I happen to think that its more trouble to remove and reinstall that engine than it is to rebuild it once its out of the rv. If you had time and maybe an extra set of hands to help, you could easily do it and save a couple thousand dollars.

I think its ok to get an engine from a junkyard, just don't get a tranny from them. Junkyards where I live will do a compression test for you and let you know what you are dealing with. They don't sell junk engines and they always know the miles and condition of the vehicle it came out of. The warranty is usually only 30-60 days and they know guys who will install it for you.

I would go this route to save $2000, but would get the new crated engine if I were going to save less.

Either way, if your rig is as clean on the inside as it is on the outside, then I think you should keep it.

Looks like its going to be around $6000.00 plus extras for the remanufactured engine or $4000.00 for the rebuilt, we are talking about a $2000.00 difference, seems like the reman is the way?

fix it! it looks to be in good shape. RV's are a waste of money, but the good times make up for it! I just bought a clean 92 class c with 13,000miles on it for 8k. had to put new fridge, $1,500 and if i had to spend 4k on a new motor, no biggie. better than spending 75k for a new MH.

Check out these guys www.psengines.com I used them for a replacement engine in my ford ranger and they have excellent service. On the ranger I got a 3 yr/100K warranty, but I'm not sure on a class A. Also I think they have a "performance" option which has an rv cam for better pulling power.

Good luck.