Sign in to follow this  

08 Husqvarna TXC-510 vs 08 KTM 530 XC-W(R)

Does anyone know how the 6-speed transmissions on these two bikes compare?

The KTM has a slightly larger displacement and a significantly longer stroke, but the Husky has the bigger bore and a greater compression ratio. So I can't help but wonder how each bike's gearbox matches up with its powerplant.

Is the the TXC-510's power harder to handle than the 530 XC-W's?

Does anyone know how the 6-speed transmissions on these two bikes compare?

The KTM has a slightly larger displacement and a significantly longer stroke, but the Husky has the bigger bore and a greater compression ratio. So I can't help but wonder how each bike's gearbox matches up with its powerplant.

Is the the TXC-510's power harder to handle than the 530 XC-W's?

510's power combined with closer ratio 6 speed makes the Husky significantly stronger. Even gearing the 510 up 1 tooth in the front over stock and it will still out accellerate a KTM 525 with 540 high compression kit on it is my experience.

The TXC510 is a very fast beast for sure.

I say this because I own a 06 525 and have ridden TC 510's so it will differ very little on the ktm side and the txc side is a comperable with the TXC the 510. The 525 is the diesel of dirt bikes, incredible low and mid range power almost no top end. The TC for me bridged the gap of big bore 2 stroke and 4 stroke. Tons of top end, you sacrifice a little on the bottom end both very powerfull. The gearbox's on the other hand are apples and oranges. Ktm's are geared very very tall and need new front and rear sprockets out of the box to offroad them or they are waaayyy too tall. The husky has a close ratio trans so if you plan on a lot of fire roads or streeting the TXC (if you state will allow it) then you may need to add a tooth or two to the front to go over 50 mph comfortably. my .02

The 530 KTM is still a 510cc, the Husky 510 I rode was a 07 and it felt very similar to the 525 in power. I'm sure the TXC 510 is a lot different, I also prefer the close ratio trans as well. I wish Husky had more dealerships, the closest one to me is an hour away.

As a KTM owner, gearing them down to much changes the power curve too much. You start to ride in the declining power, especially on a 525.

I had a 03 450 EXC before my 08 TE 510. I bought the TE 510 to out accelerate my buddy's new (left over from the dealer) 06 525 XC. Also because I blew up the motor on the 450. Anyway both the 08 TE 510 and the 06 525 XC where purchased new within a week of each other. We both agree that his 525 XC is a pig compared to my TE 510. The TE can EASLY out accelerate the 525 XC any time. Also, the TE is a much more practical woods bike than the XC. The TE rides like it weighs 50lbs less. The only time I was beaten by the 525 XC was when I ran out of gas. My TE does run out of gears earlier than the KTM, but the TE maintains power all the way through the higher RPM. This enables the TE to still have more acceleration at top speed. As far as dyno test, I believe they both top out around 102-106 mph (I don’t remember the exact numbers). If my TE is a night and day difference between the 525 XC, then I would assume there would only be a greater difference between the TXC 510 and the 530 XC.

Thank you, fellow West Coasters (and Georgia guy, too).

I would like to see a side by side gear ratio comparison between the TXC-510 and the 530 XC-W. It's tricky to compare these two, since they're really not in the same class, but I'm trying to figure out which one would be best suited for me. I'll be 60% in the woods (single track and fire roads) and 40% on desert and dunes. Versatility and smooth torque curves are more important to me than acceleration out of the hole.

I've heard that this KTM, though not as snappy as the Husky, can lug that 6th gear at very high speeds and crawl up waterfalls in 1st gear... all with a high degree of controllability. It sounds like the nimbler TXC-510 would be more likely to rip my arms out than allow me to coax it through the slow stuff.

Both bikes look killer (I have no problem with "pumpkins"... my brother's 505-SXF is one of the baddest looking things I've ever seen). These new Huskies are sweet, too.

I dunno, I'm a novice now, but I'm a strong, heavy dude and I want something I can grow into over the next ten years or so. I'm not sure a hot rod would be the right bike for me, but admittedly the TXC-510 is a tempting prospect.

I would like to see a side by side gear ratio comparison between the TXC-510 and the 530 XC-W. It's tricky to compare these two, since they're really not in the same class, but I'm trying to figure out which one would be best suited for me. I'll be 60% in the woods (single track and fire roads) and 40% on desert and dunes. Versatility and smooth torque curves are more important to me than acceleration out of the hole.

I've heard that this KTM, though not as snappy as the Husky, can lug that 6th gear at very high speeds and crawl up waterfalls in 1st gear... all with a high degree of controllability. It sounds like the nimbler TXC-510 would be more likely to rip my arms out than allow me to coax it through the slow stuff.

To me, the main advantage of the KTM is the wider ratio six speed tranny. It provides a much more versatile spread of gears better suited for combining tight single track with high speed 'desert' running all in one, without having to re-gear every time you ride different terrain.

The overall tranny ratios for the two bikes are:

TE510 ------------1) 2.46, 2) 1.98, 3) 1.62, 4) 1.33, 5) 1.13, 6) 1.00

530 XC-W--------1) 3.18, 2) 2.40, 3) 1.82, 4) 1.46, 5) 1.19, 6) 1.00

Note that the '08 KTM gear ratios are slightly wider than earlier 525 models having slightly lower 1st and 2nd gears. Also note that 525, 530 & larger engines have no problems whatsoever with the wide ratio tranny 'gaps'. The wider ratios in fact negate the 'advantage' of having to shift so much and the wider gaps are never an issue.

Chas ratios must be internal? What I have on a spread sheet is the final ratio which includes primary X internal x final so it reads crank turns to wheel turns.

Rule of thumb 19 to 20 range is good in the woods on open class bikes for a good rider, there is always someone that nu mater what the ratio thinks it will get them thru the woods esyier if geared down ultra low. My view, it just makes the bike more violent.

Other rule of thumb, final ratio in top gear around 7 will do anything in competitive charging short of Baja but if you want to loaf down the hiway not buxzzing the engine closer to 6 is prefered

Husky ratios that I have for 08 TCX are

1st = 19.81

2nd = 15.96

3rd = 13.21

4th = 10.77

5th = 9.11

6th = 8.07

Note this is based on 13x47 which is how I would ride this bike

Yes there are going to be times that your going to wish it was geared taller, a Baja racer would gear taller in the final drive, a dual sport guy that wants to ride tight wood would be dissapointed. The upside! Your in the middle of a huge hill, reved hard in one gear and wanting to go faster, the wide ratio box if you upshifted the bike may bog/wheely or spin if you rev into the upper power band, the close ratio you can upshift where the wide will not!

The KTM (the internals are wider than the RFS internals)

1st = 20.30

2nd = 15.33

3rd = 11.64

4th = 9.33

5th = 7.57

6th = 6.38

Note this is based on 14x48 which is how I would ride this bike

Now lets look at RPM drops on each shift

Husky

1-2 = 19%

2-3 = 17%

3-4 = 18%

4-5 = 15%

5=6 = 11%

KTM

1-2 = 25%

2-3 = 24%

3-4 = 20%

4-5 = 19%

5-6 = 16%

25%is HUGE, gets back to that "Diesel" coment!

At the risk of overstating it this is a bit like comparing a 4 door sedan with 400 hp versus a Corvette with 400 hp, both are fast, one is quick and agile fast, the other a bit more clumbsy but will be more versitile.

If I ran Husky I would be deveoping another gear set for the more dual sport guys, in their defence the 610 is for that use

My view Husky is more racy, KTM is more versitle

The tranny ratios that I printed were computed primarily to show the tranny ratio spreads when both KTM and Husky 6th gears are mathematically set at 1.00. I find these figures to be useful for comparative purposes. As an example, let's say for smooth running at high speeds you wanted a 6.38 overall ratio in 6th gear. To determine the overall ratios for the other gears, simply multiply them by 6.38. For instance, in the KTM the overall ratio for 1st gear would be 6.38 X 3.18 = 20.29 and for the Husky 6.38 X 2.46 = 15.69, and so on.

Thanks, Dave and Chas. Wow, this is exactly the type of info I've been trying to find. Appreciate your help a lot.

I did find internal ratios for the TXC-510, which (if they are correct) seem to indicate higher gearing than for the TE-510. My info:

TXC-510

1st: 2.0

2nd: 1.61

3rd: 1.33

4th: 1.09

5th: 0.92

6th: 0.81.

I don't know what final drive ratio was assumed to derive these numbers, but in any case the internal ratios for the TXC seem to be way different than those 530 XC-W internal ratios that Chas posted.

Yeah, I would be shocked if KTM's 510cc motor couldn't cover those wide 20%+ gaps, even if it doesn't rev worth a damn. That outrageous torque must be good for something--who knows, maybe someday I'll have to pull my car out of the mud. As long as the 530 XC-W isn't a total pig, I'm liking the idea of that kind of tranny more and more.

Hey, what's up with the vast difference in compression ratios? The KTM 530s are something like 11.9:1 while the Huskies are 12.9:1. It seems like Husqvarna is trading engine longevity for power now. Unless, of course, I'm missing something (which I probably am).

Never mind those TXC ratios I just put up... they're the same as the TE-510 numbers without setting 6th gear @ 1.00.

I am definitely curious about how the top speed of the TXC is compared to the XC-W. As you've shown, the KTM has a higher 6th gear but it doesn't rev as well, so... On a long straight stretch is it pretty much a push between these two?

dude... don't even worry about that whole transmission deal. my 06 510 has the best and smoothest motor i have every ridden in an 450+ thumper. my buddy says so too. and between the two of us, have ridden a lot of different bikes.