Sign in to follow this  

2005 crf50 died while riding-HELP

My son was riding today, lost power and died. Kick start seemed frozen, but after a few minutes, it turned over but with more force than usual. Oil change done June 2007, has 10 hours on it since. No oil leak, so we were surprised to find little or no oil in it. Is it seized, or could it be the kick starter?

A similar thing happened to my 50. i was doing a top speed run and my bike blew up. my kick starter was frozen also and later it kicked over but was very hard. turned out i skipped a tooth on my timing chain and every thing went to hell in my engine(need complete top end rebuilt) it sounds like you might have seized it. is the bikes engine stock? i would be surprised if you were able to seize a stock 50s engine but with no oil you probably seized it.-sorry

My son was riding today, lost power and died. Kick start seemed frozen, but after a few minutes, it turned over but with more force than usual. Oil change done June 2007, has 10 hours on it since. No oil leak, so we were surprised to find little or no oil in it. Is it seized, or could it be the kick starter?

You haven't checked or changed the oil in over a year? That could be your problem...

1 - Make sure the kill switch is off .

2 - Make sure it is out of gear .

Then pull off the flywheel cover and try to turn it by hand .

If it doesn't turn over , it's most likely a top end problem ?

Being that it had very little oil in it, I say it seized. It pays to check the oil before every ride. Time to pull it apart and hope that the bottom end is OK.