Sign in to follow this  

Piute trails officially closed until Nov 30

Here is the announcement - not un expected, but a real bummer!

Motor Vehicle Restrictions in the Piute Mountain Area - 2008/08/15 13:52

Motor Vehicle Restrictions

in the Piute Mountain Area

KERNVILLE, CA -- Effective Friday, August 15, 2008 updated motor vehicle restrictions go into effect in the Piute Area through November 30, 2008.

The order has been put into place to prevent resource damage in the Piute Area. Order # 08-18, Sequoia National Forest [http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sequoia/], Kern River Ranger District, prohibits possessing or using a motor vehicle OFF National Forest System roads within the Piute Area(see map below). The area is being posted today by Field Protection Officers and Off Highway Vehicle personnel.

All motor vehicles are restricted to roads only.

All Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) trails will remain closed, OHV travel will not be allowed.

Some roads may also be closed in the area if excessive resource damage exists or they are deemed unsafe for public use.

The exemptions to this order are: land owners or lessees of private land within the Piute Area to the extent to gain access to their land, persons who reside on private land within the Piute Area to the extent necessary to gain access to their residences, and any Federal, State or local officer, or member of an organized rescue or fire-fighting force in the performance of an official duty.

The closure order, the area map and further information, are available from the Forest Service at the Kernville Ranger Station in Kernville at (760) 376-3781 or the Lake Isabella Visitor Center in Lake Isabella at (760) 379-5646.

The public is reminded, fire restrictions are still in effect, no charcoal or open fires are permitted in the Piute area. Only portable stoves with gas, jellied petroleum or pressurized liquid fuel are permitted with a valid California campfire permit.

CAMPFIRE PERMIT PAGE: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sequoia/passespermits/campfire_permit/campfire-index.html

Piute Area Closure Map below

File Attachment:

File name: Piute_Area_Closure_Map.pdf

File size:3899939 bytes

Administrator, KRVR.org

eworinkrv@mchsi.com

| | The administrator has disabled public write access.

Forum List Forum Category Sequoia National Forest & Monument

Joomlaboard Forum Component 1.1.4 Stable

Two Shoes M-Factory

It's not the entire forest area up there though. It appears to be only the burned areas. Most of the stuff south of Piute mountain road is now open so it's not the total closure that had been in place. There are a few decent trails outside of the burned zone. Not enough for me to be planning my normal weekend trips though.

The map of the closure area,.

2008piuteareaclosuremapoo6.jpg

It sucks that Piutes burned (and subsequently closed). It sucks more that I never got to ride there before it burned. But why is it only closed for a few months, as compared to Rowher, which is closed for 18+ months? Is it because there are more roots from (burned) trees to help prevent erosion?

I gotta say, I didnt realize how much I appreciated Rowher, until it I didnt have it anymore...

I also miss Texas Cyn and Drinkwater, especially since it's only 50 min from home. I know enough stuff over there, that I can do 100+ miles in a day and barely go over the same stuff twice.

Don't bet on the Piutes opening any time soon. They say Nov 30, but you know how that goes.

Have they given a reason for not opening Texas Cyn and Drinkwater? I have to say I am not sure why they have left it closed for so long. If people make some noise and keep on them it could help. I'll look into it.

Bruce W

CORVA

Don't bet on the Piutes opening any time soon. They say Nov 30, but you know how that goes.

Have they given a reason for not opening Texas Cyn and Drinkwater? I have to say I am not sure why they have left it closed for so long. If people make some noise and keep on them it could help. I'll look into it.

Bruce W

CORVA

It's all in the BAER report at http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/documents/buckweed-fire-BAER-report.pdf

a few quotes

The Short Joint Beavertail site located within the Rowher OHV area is strung out along the upper portion of the Flat trail.

This site was visited after the fire and it experienced low to moderate soil burn severity. When burned at low/moderate soil

burn severity, beavertail cactus is only top*killed. The roots remain viable and respond by sprouting from the soil surface.

If the proposed 18 month OHV closure is put in place, this should be enough time for this population to sufficiently recover.

Fire Perimeter Closure Order for the Buckweed Fire for 12 months for ecosystem recovery from

December 2007 to December 2008 and reissued for 2009 for six months, cost * $.

And people wonder why riding off trail is bad. I'd say it's about 95% of the reason for the length of the closure. If people ride off trail when it opens again it will just get closed again.

The Rowher Flats OHV area has an extensive network of trails on the eastern portion of the burn area.

Fire conditions have resulted in the removal of natural vegetative OHV barriers which may incur the

creation of unclassified trails. Additional unclassified trails will result in additional soil quality

degradation and delayed vegetative recovery.