Sign in to follow this  

Need more HP ?

Bike:

07 SM

MRD full Exh

3X3

Rejet

K&N

I currently run 16/41, but might need to start riding lots of freeway miles. I ride 90% street. Do I have enough HP to pull 16/38 on the big end on the freeway ? Thanks

Nope. Even a FCR will not pull that. I have a big bore stroker with 16/41 and would not consider trying to pull 16/38. Pulling away from a stop would be an exercise in clutch slipping. Your 16/41 should be fine fior the highway, it is on my SM.

Bike:

07 SM

MRD full Exh

3X3

Rejet

K&N

I currently run 16/41, but might need to start riding lots of freeway miles. I ride 90% street. Do I have enough HP to pull 16/38 on the big end on the freeway ? Thanks

go back to the 15 /41 or 15 /38 get ride of the 16 i use 14/41

I use the Stock Gearing with the Stock Exhaust with an FCR & it moves along the Thruway (NY Term for Freeway with TOLLS) just fine. The CV Carb was a struggle, but with the FCR it's TWIST & Go.

On my SM I ran 16/38 for a little bit but never tried topping it out. With 16/41 I can hit the rev limiter in top gear though

I didn't like 16/38, found myself lugging the engine a lot more. 16/41 is a good compromise IMO. Assuming you have the HP to pull it, its good to 110+

I currently run about 82-85 on the speedo RPM 7000-7200 I am worried about running that RPM for over an hr everyday on the freeway.

try this in the next 2 or 4 days

remove the RAD air scoops and the frunt fender

if that gets you to the speed your looking for you need more HP

this can be fixed in 2 ways

go buy a bigger bike

or have Eddie work his magic to get your DRZ to 57 HP

you will find that a used bigger bike is cheeper

Ok... will running 7000-7500 for an hr, twice a day, be fine ? I live in Ca... if you ride 65-70 it will be the slow lane and the Semi's still pass you, not safe.

I wouldn't worry about the RPM. True, it will increase wear in theory, but trying to measure what is more harmful, what it does to the life expectancy, it is all very vague stuff.

I can speak for myself anyway. I do a lot of 7000+RPM riding. I had my head off after 10K miles and it looked brand new. Same goes for the piston and rings

I'm running 15/38 with FCR, Yosh RS-2, Airbox mods,K&N, MCCT, etc. I ride 40 miles to work & back at 75-80mph most of the way, no problems, have over 4000 miles this year already( bike new in May). If you run sustained high speeds its a good idea I think to change to the MCCT, the automatic tensioner will wear the cam chain out quicker. So far so good, bike is very strong and runs the highway much better than stock setup. It will still carry the front end in two gears with a twist of the throttle too. 👍

I run 15/39 and about 80-85mph indicated and it is fine. Just a lot of wind on a sm at that speed.

I cut my elephant ears down some. It feels like a big improvement at speed. I used to run 16/38, changed to 14/38. It took me a while to realize my engine likes to run at high RPM.

line003.jpg