Sign in to follow this  

08 Te450 Head Shake At 60 Mph.

This doesn't feel normal to have the front end shake so much from side to side that the rear end shakes as well.

I have the front forks down in the tubes about 3/4 inch. Rebound/compression are set at 1/4 down ( 4 clicks ) from full firm on the front and rear. The front tire pressure is at 20 lbs.

Stock tires with about 200 miles on the bike.

Like I said, at about 60 mph and above the front end shakes from side to side enough that the whole bike wiggles going down the road.

What should I check or adjust first ?

PS, the front rim is not bent.

1. Move the fork tubes to the 1st or 2nd line and set the sag at 100mm/ 4inches. Should cure it.:)

Balance your wheels. 3 oz on the front opposite side from the rim lock and 4 oz in the back. Makes a HUGE difference.

Balance your wheels. 3 oz on the front opposite side from the rim lock and 4 oz in the back. Makes a HUGE difference.

what he said !

on my drz 400 and the crf230l the same thing happened to them

no matter where the suspension was set, tires etc made no difference

tighten up the steering stem and that problem will go away .............

a no cost fix other then a few minutes spent, or spend a few hundred and buy a dampner and get the same results !

neither bike suffers with that problem now !

This doesn't feel normal to have the front end shake so much from side to side that the rear end shakes as well.

I have the front forks down in the tubes about 3/4 inch. Rebound/compression are set at 1/4 down ( 4 clicks ) from full firm on the front and rear. The front tire pressure is at 20 lbs.

Stock tires with about 200 miles on the bike.

Like I said, at about 60 mph and above the front end shakes from side to side enough that the whole bike wiggles going down the road.

What should I check or adjust first ?

PS, the front rim is not bent.

oh yeah too, my daughter would like to have that 347 in her 93 gt if you need a good home for it ............................lol !

My bike did the same thing until brake in was completed. 1,150 miles and I have the PU kit, and a Kouba lowering link with the forks set to the third line.(Short guy here) I thought this would make it wobble at higher speeds but it wobbles less. I can pull it up to 75 and 80 with no wobble. No, I have not done the counter wieghts yet, but I think I might, because I do get a little bounce.

You might need to check out a few things.

Stearing head loose. (Like what was said)

And when you say 3/4 inch down, I hope thats not below top of top triple clamp. Flush would be the max you should run them down.

My bike did the same thing until brake in was completed. 1,150 miles and I have the PU kit...

That and heavier riders do not have the issue as much. I did a bunch of experiments.

• Suspension changes such as waiting for break in to end or re-valve suspension,
  • balancing the wheels,
  • adding weight to make you or the bike heavier,
  • changing tire pressure,
  • moving around on the seat

are all options to get rid of the problem. I did not play with fork tubes heights however.

The bikes get into an oscillation with the suspension, anything to change that worked on my bike.

I'm kinda suprized that nobody mentioned anything about handlebar placement. Having your handlebars tilted to far foward will also give you headshake. If your a tall guy like me, turn your risers around to put the base of the handlebars more towards the front of the bike,that way you can tilt the bars back a little more.

Also everything that has been allready stated plays a factor in your headshake problem.

Thanks guys. I'll balance the wheels and check the torque on the head.

Also, I meant to say that the fork tubes are up in the clamps not down. I think most understood that. Sorry. The sag is set to 4 inches ( 100mm ).

Since I way about 193 with gear, I would think there's enough weight on the bike.

Thx VM.

Since I way about 193 with gear, I would think there's enough weight on the bike.

Thx VM.

That is about what I weigh with gear and had the same problem, a bunch of heavier riders (240+) took turns riding it and had no problems at all. I filled 4 gallon jugs with water and put them on the bike and I rode it, and had no problems.

I'm not saying people should change what they weigh or add weight to the bike - I'm just letting you know what I did and the results. I balanced the wheels and my problem went away. A few months later re-worked the suspension and the bike was not as sensitive to the wheel balancing.