Sign in to follow this  

Making the Most Out of Practice.

Well I only get to ride about once a week now, and I was wondering how to make the most out of it. I usually only ride about 3-4 hours and have to quit due to me being so tired. Yesterday we were at a track and we did 4 30-minute moto's and at the end of the day I was completely exhausted and dizzy. I was wondering what I could do to get the most out of practice and how to practice longer. Thanks.

I have found that if you are trying to work on becoming a better rider, it is better to do short practices where you focus on riding well. You can focus on one particular skill each time to try and improve it. Riding for long periods of time will get you in shape, but it is harder to improve your skills this way b/c you stop focusing on riding and spend most of the time focusing on saving energy and not crashing due to being so tired. A lot of the pros will go out and do 5-10 laps and then call it a day. At night when it is dark (and you can't ride anyways) you can work out to improve your physical conditioning. Then you can gradually increase your practice lengths as you get in better shape and are able to focus on your skills for longer periods of time.

do "special" laps

thats like

5 laps with no clutch

5 laps without sitting

5 laps like a race

etc.

i know people that do this and it helps them, and im going to start doing it as well.

• Like 1

1) Mt bike when you can't ride.... hills! hills! hills! it has to hurt or its not doin anything

2) Work out the days you cant ride or mt bike

3) Eat well .. PASTA the night before you race or pactice

4) Seat time there is no replacement

I ride a couple hours every other day then 4-5 hours on the weekend

exercise build up indurance and muscle its all about how in shape you are and how much your body can handle

I ride short motos, but when I feel like pushing it, I'll run 3-4 hard laps.

When I get tired, sometimes I just cruise around the circuit and look at the line(s) I was riding.

I'll go watch fast riders during my breaks - I'll watch them like a hawk.

If I have a bad day, I ALWAYS return on my next scheduled practice - I never let a bad day keep me from the next practice.

Focus on what you're practicing and avoid gooning or goofing off.

I socialize in the pits (a bit) but I ride "alone" - in other words, I don't make it a big get together w/ the guys.

Find strangers to moto with; guys that are +- your speed and run w/ 'em - dice it up.

Quality time on the bike is HUGE.

I've had my best year of progress this year and my best day (all things considered) last Saturday. I'm letting that drive me in my practices this week. If I have a suck morning @ practice this Thurday, I won't let it stop me from starting fresh on Saturday.

Approach moto like you mean business. Invest in good gear. Look like you mean to ride. Forget whether or not you're fast. Build an expecation for yourself and rise to it. Look fast, think fast and you'll get there.

Prep your bike before you leave for the track - I very rarely dick w/ my bikes at all at the track; I'll change a tube or rig up after a big get-off, but no prep work. I don't have bike issues @ the track (or at home - I ride Honda).

I find that good breaks help me out. I define a good break as one where it's almost a bit hard to get up and start riding again. At that piont, I know my body has rested. I find that a lap or two back into it and I'm rocking.

I like wearing ear plugs - I always ride w/ them. I can think.

Relax when things start to look hairy. When you can relax in a tight spot, you'll find that more often than not you'll ride out of/thru it and that experience in and of itself will build skills.