To rebuild or not?

Just debating on what to do on my bike. It is a 05 rmz 450 with just about everything upgraded on it (suspension, brakes, full exhaust, asv levers, handguards, new tires, and many others too). Currently it needs pretty much everything in the engine rebuilt (crank, piston, cylinder, head, cam) and it will cost about $2200. I ridden just about all the 08 model bikes, except the 08 rmz, and none seem close to the handling and performance of my bike. It almost seems like wasting money to spend almost what the bike is worth to fix it, but I just love the bike.

What would you do? Fix it? Part it out? I can barley afford to fix this one let alone buy a new bike, unless I finance one and that will not happen.

The reason for the engine failure is the front head cover bolt was stripped, leaked probably 800ml out of the 1500ml capicity of oil out and it got real hot and then just died.

Making a financial decision for someone else is just not a good thing to do, as only the guy with the check book really knows what they can afford.

One thing I can say is that $2,200 to fix it is way cheaper than a new bike. And it does sound like your bike is in otherwise good condition, so without looking at your bike or your check book, I'd say ~ "Fix-It".

I rebuild my 05 this spring and spent about $900 for a new crank, piston kit and new cylinder since the original one was toast. The crank kit was from Wiseco and came with a complete seal kit. I didn’t touch the valves since they haven’t moved. I did the work myself and spent about $100 on a case splitter and fly wheel puller. This was my first time rebuilding a 4 stroke and I was super pumped when the bike started on the 5th kick. Anyway, I shopped the net for the best prices, picking up the piston kit and crank on e-bay for far less then other retail sites. If you purchase the parts yourself and do the work, you can save a lot of money verses paying for the shop to do the work for you. ?

Out here in colorado, you could probably pick up a used 06 for $2700 on craig's list, throw all of your parts on it, and have some spare parts to sell on e-bay!? This might even cost less than the rebuild that you were going to pay for, after you factor in the return on parts sold off additional bike.

I was in the same dilema in April,my 05 stroked out and it cost me $2500.00 (needed a new jug also) but like you my bike has everything I coud possibly want,never gives me a hard time,and handles nearly perfect,I love it..plus a couple of my buddies have 08's and it did'nt seem to help them to much cause ther'e still following my 05:applause:

I think I am going to go ahead and get it fixed properly. drumurr, it has basically everything new on it, and looks like new, so it needs nothing but a motor. CRF450RM, I thought about picking up a used bike, but worry I will end up in the same situation. At least if I fix it I know the engine is "right". rdptaylor, your right about the handling, it just wants to turn, and it is so solid leaned over. I rode a 2008 ktm450 and it felt like a bus compared to my bike, I flet like i had to force it through corners.