Sign in to follow this  

First impressions of the little XR250L

As many of you have read, I picked up a 91 XR250L last week. The wife thought I was foolish for doing so. Today I got a plate for the bike. And while I was at it I brought my 18 y/o son along so that he could get his motorcycle permit. :worthy: Where you get your license and registration is in two different locations, but fortunately, only a few miles apart. Dropped him off first and then went to title and register the bike. There was a line out the door, so an hour and a half later I was done and went to pick up my son. He was outside waiting when I arrived. He gets in the car and says that he got it! Cool, now everything is legal. We went to my favorite spot to ride, which is only a mile from the house. This kid has never been on a bike before. But after about 2 hours, he is doing pretty well. I think the kid got bit by the off road bug. :D I really didn't want him to go on this one section, but before I could tell him not to, he was already on his way. I was quite surprised, he actually did pretty well. Didn't fall once. So we have another one who has joined the fraternity. The little XR is a competent off road trail bike. It is a little anemic on the highway, but hey it is only a 250. I got her up to about 64 mph, with a full knobby on the back. Does this seem normal? I thought that it would do at least do 80 mph. Anyways it is a fun bike, and a perfect bike to learn on. The wife is out of town for a few days, and when I talked with her today and told her what the son and I did, she seemed pretty happy about it. So all is well. :)

Check the sprockets, though I don't know that a 250L has the balls to pull high enough gearing to reach 80mph. 👍

I have a 96 XR250L and I could pull around 75 mph with the stock gearing. I put a 14 tooth on the front which let me keep the same length of chain in about 10 mins. After that it will go aroun 80 to 83 mph, but it will cruise at 60 to 65 mph alot easier now. If I want to ride on trails that day I can take 10 mins. and change back to stock gearing or use a 12 tooth for slow trail riding. Nice to hear that you have another motorcyclist in the mix. Congrats. Brad

Congrats on everything. I too Have a XR but mine is a 1994 250R so no street legal riding for me:cry: I boutght this bike about 2 and a half months ago and it needed a cylinder head and finally after 2 months of exhausting searching I have one on the way(should be in tomorrow) Please tell me that you are from Raleigh I have absolutely no one to ride with. My friend has a 400EX and his brother has a Yamaha Blaster that I usually ride but I have to beg him to go riding!! I even put gas in the 2 ATV's and he's still not always interested in going riding. Its ok though because we are all going to go out riding after I fix my XR this weekend.👍

Jerry.

Congrats on everything. I too Have a XR but mine is a 1994 250R so no street legal riding for me:cry: I boutght this bike about 2 and a half months ago and it needed a cylinder head and finally after 2 months of exhausting searching I have one on the way(should be in tomorrow) Please tell me that you are from Raleigh I have absolutely no one to ride with. My friend has a 400EX and his brother has a Yamaha Blaster that I usually ride but I have to beg him to go riding!! I even put gas in the 2 ATV's and he's still not always interested in going riding. Its ok though because we are all going to go out riding after I fix my XR this weekend.:worthy:

Jerry.

Nope Jerry, I am just south of Charlotte. I am Middletown, NY transplant. 👍

yeah the XR250L is a good one to learn on, my fathers was the second bike i ever rode, started on a XL80S with knobbies, then the 91 XR250L, never wanted to ride the 80 again.

Pushing an XR250L to eighty is a bit much but it will do it especially with tall gearing. An XL250 had a wider range gearbox than an XR250L which is still wider than an XR250R. My 96 XR250R which is dual sported will get to eighty with 14/48 gearing but it hard on the valves to run it at anything over 55.

I'm considering getting an xl250 and wonder where you ride off road (trails) near Charlotte?

I just picked up a (really old and really free!) XL250, and live in Charlotte. I know of quite a few trails near my place (maybe 3 -10 miles of street, then into the trails). Most I found myself using Google Maps, set to "satellite" view, and also by just bumbling along in likely looking areas.

Nothing at all like the endless inter-connected miles of free trails in true wilderness in Western PA where I grew up, but still kinda cool.

Shoot me a message if you want to ride sometime!