Sign in to follow this  

Idaho Parks and Rec to start enforcing 96db levels

I hope this helps keep more riding areas open. :)

Other areas will be soon to follow.:D

My WR tested at 88db, quieter than my lawnmower.:worthy:

Later,

Good!.....the limit is already 96db, but what you have linked to is testing for SIDRA events....I think they should do random testing at trailheads and ticket these morons running open pipes. See and hear them evertime I ride!

Good!.....the limit is already 96db, but what you have linked to is testing for SIDRA events....I think they should do random testing at trailheads and ticket these morons running open pipes. See and hear them evertime I ride!

Yes that particular link is for SIDRA but it sounds like they are 'moving out' on enforcing the rule so it may very well be 'coming soon to a trail head near you'.

Yes that particular link is for SIDRA but it sounds like they are 'moving out' on enforcing the rule so it may very well be 'coming soon to a trail head near you'.

I welcome it...I've been camping around Stanley lake recently and between the bikes running up/down the road with what sounded like open moto pipes and kids buzzing around with rapped out two smokes......they need to start checking!

Although I wonder if the test criteria should be the same for 2 strokes and 4 strokes?

Do you have something against kids on bikes? My son rides a 2 smoker (KX 85) and loves ridding it. Have installed FMF Turben Core spark arrestor but can't help the noise. There was a time when we were all on a 2 stroke and wasn't an issue then correct? We like to ride up in the hills and there are not too many good 4 stroke dirt bike for kids right now other than the Honda CRF150R. It is hard to keep my boy off the bike and he does like to ride around the camp but never out of my sight.

how do you check the noise level on your bike. I have a 98 WR400 that I just bought with a stock exhaust except the spark arestor was already taken out

Do you have something against kids on bikes?
No problem, love to see kids on bikes

<snip>

It is hard to keep my boy off the bike and he does like to ride around the camp but never out of my sight.

IMO, here is the problem. While it may be cute and convenient for you to sit in camp while your son rips around, it may well be irritating everyone else within earshot, not to even mention the dust kicked up.

Camp is for camping, not riding. Take him away from camp to ride, your neighbors, whether they are riders or not, will appreciate your respect and consideration of their peace and serenity.

GOOD!

So, that other post could imply that the IDPR wants all clubs (ITMA ?) to start enforcing sound checks at their events. I'm not sure if the club I'm in got that sort of message. Probably. If I remember right, IDPR would oversee all riding on public land in Idaho. So, what we may see happening over the next few years might be an IDPR guy checking bikes at your local FS trail parking area. I think the ORV tag money goes to them, and the FS gets most of their grant money from them. I could be talking crazy, but that's what I seem to remember.

No problem, love to see kids on bikes

<snip>

IMO, here is the problem. While it may be cute and convenient for you to sit in camp while your son rips around, it may well be irritating everyone else within earshot, not to even mention the dust kicked up.

Camp is for camping, not riding. Take him away from camp to ride, your neighbors, whether they are riders or not, will appreciate your respect and consideration of their peace and serenity.

I agree completely on this. Riding (not coming and going) through the campground is not only completely inconsiderate, it infurates non riding fellow campers (not helping the dirt

biking PR situation) and in most cases violates posted Forest Service CG rules. I appreciate other campers that take some responsibility for their kids. The best way to dirt bike camp with kids is to either camp at a place like Taneum Junction or Icewater Creek where they have an actual kids riding trail to entertain them away from the other campers, or to simply find a nice secluded spot way up some FS road somewhere. My kids and I have done both and have had lots fun riding still.

GOOD!

So, that other post could imply that the IDPR wants all clubs (ITMA ?) to start enforcing sound checks at their events. I'm not sure if the club I'm in got that sort of message. Probably. If I remember right, IDPR would oversee all riding on public land in Idaho. So, what we may see happening over the next few years might be an IDPR guy checking bikes at your local FS trail parking area. I think the ORV tag money goes to them, and the FS gets most of their grant money from them. I could be talking crazy, but that's what I seem to remember.

I agree completely on this. Riding (not coming and going) through the campground is not only completely inconsiderate, it infurates non riding fellow campers (not helping the dirt

biking PR situation) and in most cases violates posted Forest Service CG rules. I appreciate other campers that take some responsibility for their kids. The best way to dirt bike camp with kids is to either camp at a place like Taneum Junction or Icewater Creek where they have an actual kids riding trail to entertain them away from the other campers, or to simply find a nice secluded spot way up some FS road somewhere. My kids and I have done both and have had lots fun riding still.

IDPR has no authority under Idaho Law to issue citations. they can and do (a good job) of educating the public however in other ways. After all, what is a ticket? A means to an "education"! right? Anyway, they want user-groups to police their own. Stickers, spark arrestors, staying on designated trails, and quiet bikes are a start. They (IDPR) are proclaiming that if you want to be reimbursed for (for example) portable toilets at your event, you will use a sound meter (provided for FREE by IDPR) to check bikes at your event. All bikes must comply with Idaho Code. All ITMA clubs were recently given a new sound meter as were all the SIDRA clubs and even the Boise Ridge Riders. IDPR has offered up staff to do/help with sound checks at events.

2 things are killing off-road motorcycle trail riding across the West.

EROSION and SOUND.

We can argue all day long that horses do more damage to trails than do bikes (and they absolutey do!) but what you cannot argue is sound (noise). Bikes are louder than horses, hikers, and mountain bikers, period.

You've heard it before: Less Sound = More Ground.

Oh, and Stay on the effin Trails! 👍

IDPR has no authority under Idaho Law to issue citations. they can and do (a good job) of educating the public however in other ways. After all, what is a ticket? A means to an "education"! right? Anyway, they want user-groups to police their own. Stickers, spark arrestors, staying on designated trails, and quiet bikes are a start. They (IDPR) are proclaiming that if you want to be reimbursed for (for example) portable toilets at your event, you will use a sound meter (provided for FREE by IDPR) to check bikes at your event. All bikes must comply with Idaho Code. All ITMA clubs were recently given a new sound meter as were all the SIDRA clubs and even the Boise Ridge Riders. IDPR has offered up staff to do/help with sound checks at events.

2 things are killing off-road motorcycle trail riding across the West.

EROSION and SOUND.

We can argue all day long that horses do more damage to trails than do bikes (and they absolutey do!) but what you cannot argue is sound (noise). Bikes are louder than horses, hikers, and mountain bikers, period.

You've heard it before: Less Sound = More Ground.

Oh, and Stay on the effin Trails! 👍

Right, I realize they're not law enforcement, I was just speculating that at some point in the future, there may be DB checks at some popular trailheads / parking areas. Just some speculation though.

The IDPR is giving PANTRA a sound meter so we can help educate our members. If you see PANTRA members or attend a PANTRA event you can ask and we will try to help you out.

Do you have something against kids on bikes? My son rides a 2 smoker (KX 85) and loves ridding it. Have installed FMF Turben Core spark arrestor but can't help the noise. There was a time when we were all on a 2 stroke and wasn't an issue then correct? We like to ride up in the hills and there are not too many good 4 stroke dirt bike for kids right now other than the Honda CRF150R. It is hard to keep my boy off the bike and he does like to ride around the camp but never out of my sight.

Dude.......where did you get that I have anything against two strokes? or kids on 2 strokes? 👍 jeesh!:worthy: it's great seeing kids learning to ride .....

The situation I described were kids riding older MX 80's with what sounded like blown out silencers...probably not even equipped with SA's? Super loud....much louder than my KX 250.....that's where I'm coming from!:busted: Is it the kids who are at fault?......NO....it's their parents! :blah:

and yes I feel it is inconciderate when they're a 1/4 mile away, but sound like they're right in my camp.........or they're lapping my camp lap after lap after lap after lap after lap.........

Do you have something against kids on bikes?

<snip>

It is hard to keep my boy off the bike and he does like to ride around the camp but never out of my sight.

I have something against kids on bikes that buzz around camp all day. Why not take the young man out for a real trail ride? It's not nearly so annoying to everyone else within miles to have a group of riders go by once or twice, but having a kid (or a grownup, or a quadtard) riding around camp all day is annoying and generally quite rude imho.

I have something against kids on bikes that buzz around camp all day. Why not take the young man out for a real trail ride? It's not nearly so annoying to everyone else within miles to have a group of riders go by once or twice, but having a kid (or a grownup, or a quadtard) riding around camp all day is annoying and generally quite rude imho.

+1 👍

I have been sound checked a few years ago at Baumgradner by a guy named Steve Frost, not sure who he is with. My KX with a sparkarester passed.

Ed

I have been sound checked a few years ago at Baumgradner by a guy named Steve Frost, not sure who he is with. My KX with a sparkarester passed.

Steve is with IDPR, and is a nice guy. I would guess (pure speculation mind you) that he wouldn't have actually been able to do anything at all to you if it hadn't passed, so it was more of a 'courtesy check' for informational and educational purposes. But I could be wrong, lol.

Sound is another tuff call. I just spent a weekend up in the Cascades, great times, however I did have one really close call with a head-on. I ride a KLX450R with stock pea-shooter. It's so quiet all I really hear is the chain slapping, so whaddya think almost happened when I met another KLX450R coming fast the other way on a twisty mtn trail? It could have been ugly, so I'm considering a slightly louder pipe...not annoyingly loud, but silent is maybe not the best answer.

Just my now terrified $.02