Sign in to follow this  

Chris Haines Baja Tours

I've dreamed of doing Baja for some time now, but I'm reluctant to trailer the thousand + miles from Austin to Ensenada and go it without professional support. I've heard this company does quality tours, but I'm curious. This seems like it might be worth it given the cost of upgrading my bike, travel time, gas, etc. Has anyone done a ride with this outfit? If so, would you recommend it? Anyone care to join me? I'm thinking of doing a late September tour. Thanks in advance.

I do not know Chris, But have heard great things of their tours as well as Tim Mortens outfit.

Do yourself a Favor and be very honest to yourself and them as to your riding level.

Have a blast.

www.bajaboundmoto.com

I do not know Chris, But have heard great things of their tours as well as Tim Mortens outfit. bajaboundmoto.com/

Do yourself a Favor and be very honest to yourself and them as to your riding level.

Have a blast.

Well said!!!

I've dreamed of doing Baja for some time now, but I'm reluctant to trailer the thousand + miles from Austin to Ensenada and go it without professional support. I've heard this company does quality tours, but I'm curious. This seems like it might be worth it given the cost of upgrading my bike, travel time, gas, etc. Has anyone done a ride with this outfit? If so, would you recommend it? Anyone care to join me? I'm thinking of doing a late September tour. Thanks in advance.

There's many, many tour companies....

Depending on your riding style, and if you want to tote your bike... etc.etc.etc.etc.... BUT, I know Chris Haines does a great job (a fellow racing buddy works for them, and he also is a great guy and rider, with great trail skills/support).

DO YOUR HOMEWORK if your to use a tour guide. If your super able and willing to ride your own, tote your own.... there's several guys that ride down there on a monthly basis. Best to ask in a relative forum (Baja) or on open sites that allow open discussion about this kind of thing, might help.... sometimes it's hard to ask without all the politics or drama (not saying this site in particular) polluting your question(s).

I forgot to mention....

Tours are per their calendar. You don't always get to "book your own" and definitely will up the cost if your solo or trying to book a private 'tour'. You need comrades to help spread the costs and get the tour company to oblige (gotta make it worth their while!). Trek'ing your bike and 'stuff' out this way would definitely cost you... plus you don't know if your bike is "ready" for the pounding. But, then... there's the fun of building it up, and the fun of the adventure driving out. Make a good long trip of it, and bring some buddies. Splitting the gas. Always a good time. :)

Good luck!!!

It's roughly an extra grand to ride a rental with BajaBoundmoto than it is if you bring your own bike. I assume most outfits charge the same for rentals. The cost of the necessary mods needed plus transportation cost would equal or exceed that, not to mention the three extra days off I'd need to take if I drove out vs. flying in. A tank alone is $300 plus. I'll check out all of the outfits and get objective opinions. Thanks so much for the reply.

FWIW.....Just do it! Hook up with a reputable outfitter like BajaBound or Chris Haines and go for it. Money well spent and it'll be the time of your life. If you are lucky enough to get together with some people who have an organized ride lead by an experienced Baja rider then do it that way. Whatever you do, don't do a Baja ride unless you're prepared and with someone who has lots of experience in Baja. Those people are very far and few between IME and I only live 20 miles from the border.

I haven't used either but know them by reputation. Thing is...they will take you places and by route that you'd NEVER find on your own. That, my friend, is the trick to these tour outfits.

It's roughly an extra grand to ride a rental with BajaBoundmoto than it is if you bring your own bike. I assume most outfits charge the same for rentals. The cost of the necessary mods needed plus transportation cost would equal or exceed that, not to mention the three extra days off I'd need to take if I drove out vs. flying in. A tank alone is $300 plus. I'll check out all of the outfits and get objective opinions. Thanks so much for the reply.

I just plunked down about $500 in fuel to drive to AZ and NM and back to Houston, TX. Figure another $150 in gas to San Diego. 2 hotel fees during that part of the drive too. So, about $825 total. And 4 days of driving (time is money), so the $1000 extra for using their bike is a good deal. They supply fuel, fresh air filters daily and a support vehicle. Seems like $1000 well spent IMO.

www.bajaboundmoto.com

Tim Morton knows Baja, every inch of it I'm sure. He's got cred. He's been an extremely successful Baja racer for quite some time. He and his crew provide fun rides with great support. Everything is taken care of. All you have to do is ride, ride, ride :worthy: I rode with him a couple of years ago. We rode 140-150 miles a day (a surprising amount of really nice single track), ate like pigs, and probably drank more than we should have 👍 Lots of fun!

I am an expirieced rider and I went with Trail Boss tours last October and had one of the time of my life. What a first class opperation. We rode brand new WR450's that were very well equiped. We ate the best food and the riding was awesome. Chris Nancy and their crew went above and beyond anything you could ever expect. I highly recomend them. I personally only ride Honda's but I was suprised how much I liked the WR.

I don't know about any of the other companies but I went with Trail Boss Tours and it was the best trip I have ever taken in my life. I have been riding hard for 30 years and I couldn't have been happier with Brand new WR450's. with all the goodies on them. Chris,Nancy and the crew went way beyond what I ever expected. I highly recomend them.

140-150 miles a day?! that's more riding than I've done all year!

Come on out to the West....

I'll show ya 600 miles in 4 days. With one day being a "day off". :worthy:

Those tour companys... treat ya like a King (or Queen), and cater to you like you've never been (so I've heard). Almost makes ya want to hire'em to go to the track with you! lol! ... great for someone who's never been, and wants to leave the worry and stress at home. 👍

Check with Trail Boss Tours before making a decision because you just might end up eating cereal on the back of an old beater truck at Mikes Sky Ranch at 6am.

www.trailbosstours.com

Not that any of the reputable baja tour companies (Haines/Trailboss/BajaBound ... ) would ever leave a paying customer eating cereal on the back of an old beater truck BUT isnt that exactly the kind of thing that puts the "adventure" in riding baja? 👍

pancakes, eggs, coffee, bacon, 7:30am, RSV

IMG_6811.jpg

Come on out to the West....

I'll show ya 600 miles in 4 days. With one day being a "day off". 👍

I grew up in New Mexico... have been trying to get back to the West/SW for years. Living here in Georgia is nice but not too much open space left to just ride. It's a bit of a "production" to get to go ride.

I've actually ridden only 32 miles on my CRF450X and I've had it since Feb!

Ultimately... I guess I just need to make time! Anyone seen that recipe book?

Not that any of the reputable baja tour companies (Haines/Trailboss/BajaBound ... ) would ever leave a paying customer eating cereal on the back of an old beater truck BUT isnt that exactly the kind of thing that puts the "adventure" in riding baja? :worthy:

pancakes, eggs, coffee, bacon, 7:30am, RSV

Actually... an MRE [Meal Ready to Eat] for breakfast would work just great for me! :busted: (25 years of military service has afforded me many oppurtunities to have an MRE for breakfast, lunch and dinner) 👍