help forgotten running wr450 for an hour overheated

my brother came over this weekend and left my wr 450 running outside for about an hour, later he came back and the hose leading from the radiator to the engine was blown and bike was off and hot, need help is it possible he blew up the engine??

?:D

Let it cool completely. Try kicking it over, is it seized?

If its not seized, you most likely did some damage inside of the motor. I would change the oil and fill the coolant back up and see how it runs after that.

But personally, tearing down the whole motor and inspecting all parts for overheating and wear is needed. So taking apart the head, etc. the head will most likely need a rebuild (if its salvageable, could have warped excessively), excess heat = stress on valve guides, valves, etc. And you would need to split the cases and see the damage in there. The oil may have come close to or boiled. - check the crank, crank bearings, etc.

And with the Yammis they don't have split engine/trans oil, so the trans would have gotten extremely hot as well - because of the hot oil from the engine. You would have to inspect all clutch components, etc.

I would think that the motor would need a complete overhaul to get it back up and reliable again after an occurrence with that. But cannot speculate too much till you split cases and inspect everything.

That's why I don't let anyone touch my bike...dang my neighbor left his YFZ 450 running for about 15 min and overheated. Make sure it turns over and it still has oil and coolant then you might want to take the top of the motor off to see if it has any damage to the piston, rings, vales, etc.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

On this topic, I was riding in traffic and it got so hot it shut off by itself, I left it sitting for 10 mins then fired it up and rode off again. Is this a safety feature or would I have Hurt the engine ?

Not a safety feature. It just got too hot to run.

When you overheat your bike badly (like I have done), you will blow the head gasket. that is the safety feature. Check the oil. If its dirty or has a brownish tint to it, you may have blown it.

Run the bike, if its down on power, you may have blown the gasket.

Last time I overheated my bike badly, it ruined the ignition coil as well.