Sign in to follow this  

Warp9 SM rim notice for all

Gents,

The Warp9 SM rims are a sweet deal for sure, so I'd like to alleviate the headache for any potential purchasers which I unwittingly discovered about mine. Turns out, Warp9's DRZ-400 SM rims have hubs which WILL accept the front/rear stock brake rotors from the OEM hubs, but WILL NOT accept the stock rear sprocket. I made the mistake of ordering a Vortex 38T rear for a DRZ-400 (the expensive one too, CAT5 black...sweet lookin'!) only to find out the bolt holes didn't line up! They're about .040" off, drilled just short of the Warp9 hub. This sprocket will work for the OEM DRZ-400SM hub, just not the Warp9 SM rim hub. Anyway, the Warp9 hub is drilled for a KTM (go figure! Who'da thunk it???). Matt at Mountain Peaks Motorsports says these model KTM rear sprockets will work:

91 - 08 125 /144 /250

06 - 08 200 /250 /450 /505 /530

91 - 08 300 /350 /400 / 600

93 - 08 500 /525 /550

96 - 97 360

98 - 00 380

Soooo, I'm sittin' on a $70 sprocket which Vortex will likely not return/exchange for the KTM (custom sprocket non-returnable, specifically outlined in their 'returns policy'). Naturally, I'm not offering it for sale here in the forum.....**COUGH!! COUGH!!** .....but it will need a new home.

--CONCLUSION--

ORDER A KTM REAR SPROCKET WITH YOUR WARP9 SM RIMS!!!!! :)

• Like 2

im pretty sure this had been covered but good reminder none the less.

however i was under the impression the rear rotor was ktm as well?

Well, I didn't physically try to fit the rear rotor, only the front (which did fit). I'm probably wrong, but I measured hole center to hole center on both OEM and Warp9 hubs and they're exactly the same.

Why did ya replace it anyway? My W9 setup came fully ready to go with sprockets and wave rotors...

Cajun, that sounds like a very bad cold you have there, what with all that coughing and such.....:D

Perhaps you should contact me regarding some possible cold relief medicine that I've been working on! 👍:busted::blah::worthy:

Why did ya replace it anyway? My W9 setup came fully ready to go with sprockets and wave rotors...

Mine did also...I had a brainfart and somehow thought it'd be easier to remove both front brake rotors and and mount the OEM to the Warp9 rather than just remove the Warp9 rotor, align with caliper, then remount. D'oh! :worthy: Fortunately, I was able to outhink myself and remove the OEM rotor I installed on the Warp9, re-mount the Warp9 rotor, and hook it all up. Go me!👍

yup I am going through this whole rigga-ma-roll right now, the rear hubs brake and rotor are KTM pattern , front I am just leaving well enough alone and going 320 rotor with adapter and yes it is a special one going from SM to S style wheels (clearance issues) but Eddie got me squared away and supper fast at that!

The gearing is stock for the dirt set-up 15/41 and for the SM Warp9 wheels I am leaning towards 16/42 any comments one way or another? There is a 47 on it right now! it would be nice just to have one chain to use on both wheel sets but I won't be opposed to 2 if I need to.

I am 240lbs and while a long time rider but fairly weenie at really scraping the pegs , just don't heal like I used to!

the other item that will be on the repair list is the forks re sprung and rebuilt, don't know if that would necessitate rebuilding the rear shock and spring or not? input?

thanks for the excellent forum and helpful people that hang out here!

Guy

so basically by getting the warp9 wheel as a cheaper way out ive screwed myself out of ordering sprockets and chain in a kit or is there a chance there is a ktm front sprocket that will fit?

how often do you need to order a sprocket kit? I ordered a few different front sprockets, a chain and a rear sprocket in addition to the rear that came with the rims so i have a large range of gearing choices. I think i spent about $100. Front sprockets are cheap, just order your rims with a 44 rear and order a 40 or 42 rear in addition if you want.

well ive had the warp 9 on there for a while and rear sprockets dont last very long with anything more than a stock bore motor. or maybe its just me idont know i usually get about 4 or 5k miles out of a set. my rear sprocket is shot so im just thinking since warp 9 screwed up the possibility for their customers to buy a kit then i think they should offer some sort of alternative. just my 2 cents.

well ive had the warp 9 on there for a while and rear sprockets dont last very long with anything more than a stock bore motor. or maybe its just me idont know i usually get about 4 or 5k miles out of a set. my rear sprocket is shot so im just thinking since warp 9 screwed up the possibility for their customers to buy a kit then i think they should offer some sort of alternative. just my 2 cents.

AL sprockets are crap in this application.

Stick to steel, Stainless Steel, or a hybrid steel / Al sprocket like the Stealth.

well ive already ordered the sprockets seperately. its just irritating with my slow internet to search for two different model sprockets and get the number of teeth i wanted. im used to clicking on the kit and checking out. i really wanted to go to a 44 tooth rear but cant seem to find one for ktm models and ive read the 14 tooth front is the biggest you can go on the e with the stock case guard so oh well.

:ride:Just a little modding is in order,i bought a 41 tooth sprocket along with the sm speedo drive,i just used my dremel and a carbide bit to fix the bolt mting holes,the center fit fine,been fine for over 3000 miles:thumbsup:,i got my wheels used and they came with a 47t alum,i just added it to the bench.:smirk::eek:

i put a 42 steel rear on my bike and i have 15 and 16 fronts that work with my S case guard(16 is close and ill probably go back to 15 once sm chain guide gets here). Chances are even if you could find a ktm that had the same CS spline count/size the gearing choices you would get in a kit for an mx/enduro wouldnt be anything close to what you wanted for your SM. It was a bit of a pain to find the rear sprocket size you want this way but i know when you order the rims warp 9 offers a 44 tooth rear so there has to be one. Have you contacted warp9 and asked? Their customer service is excellent! I went with a steel rear and honestly its not that much heavier and will be able to handle the abuse i throw its way:) warp9 cant be blamed for your slow internet :worthy: Where were the good old days of fingering your way through a tucker rocky catalog and ordering your parts that way.:eek: wait a week then go back into the shop to pickup your parts :smirk:

Im confused are ppl finding smaller ktm sprockets than 47 or not!?!

Im still having trouble in finding a rear sprocket, i really would like to get a 49t, i orded a stock sm sprocket and drilled the holes out but i want to find one that mounts up with out moddin it... Anyone found one?

I have a set of warp 9 sm's with gran turismo tires that I just pulled off. They are available if anyone is interested. 1900 miles on them. Will be listing them tonight or tomorrow 20180324_161905.jpg

I have a set of warp 9 sm's with gran turismo tires that I just pulled off. They are available if anyone is interested. 1900 miles on them. Will be listing them tonight or tomorrow 20180324_161905.thumb.jpg.9fa56849dad3b9052ef919da54dc0554.jpg
Very nice looking wheels!!