Sign in to follow this  

Recluse pro`s & cons

Ok I havent heard much at all about the recluse clutch on any bike yet alonethe best bike ever made. So please learn me about them because they sound trick. Thanks.

Pros:

If set up correctly, you should be able to hit nasty terrain with relative ease

Bike won't stall

Cons:

Expensive

If set up incorrectly, you're bike will run like crap and you'll burn up your

rekluse causing your buddies to drag your ass back to camp

For the rest of your riding career you'll never hear the end of the story about

how your "automatic" broke

Your riding buddies will be constantly busting your balls for having an "automatic"

Ha! I have tried one and didn't really care for it; however, a buddy of mine

has one and he is sure fast. So, I try not to knock them, completely.

Ok I havent heard much at all about the recluse clutch on any bike yet alonethe best bike ever made. So please learn me about them because they sound trick. Thanks.

TONS of info in this and other threads on both the Rekluse Z-start and Pro models.... type it in the search field and you'll get all kinds of said info!!

... I like mine.

Only two downfalls. No jumpstarts, and it'll freewheel if your stuck on a hill (no using the in-gear trick).

As far as engine breaking and such, if it's setup right... it'll work just like normal (stock clutch) if you set the RPM speed down low (using a perch adjuster - z-start).

I could go on and on... but it'll be a repeat. Do a search! You'll get loads of info!!!!! :)

Yup...the only negatives are what JJ said about no jump starts and backwards freewheeling which makes it a little harder to get pointed back down hill when stuck on a hill climb. It'll engine brake just like normal once you get used to it. A throttle blip will engage it so it'll engine brake just like normal. Since I'm a chronic blipper I rarely notice it. It makes me lazy on casual rides and that's not good but it sure is nice when I'm really tired and in a situation where I need to do clutch work. Well worth it. I don't think I'm any faster or slower with it and can override it easily enough with the lever. It's by far the longest lasting clutch I've had on the 450X. Traction control with throttle modulation and the Rekluse is awesome. It's probably the single best mod I've done. I have a YZ smoker for a practice bike and it gives me plenty of excercise for clutch work.....If there was ever a bike that could benefit from a Rekluse it would be that one.

The Rekluse will take some of the 'snap' off the throttle response, unless adjusted perfectly.

I felt less 'connected' to the ground when I rode bikes with them.

That's very true. Even on the hardest engagement settings the motor seems tamer but that's an illusion. Softer hit, less wheel spin more momentum faster....Weird and takes some getting used to. For a little snap just feather the clutch then dump it when the revs are up.....Yeeeeeehaaaaaa.....LOL:thumbsup:

There is a lot less "adjustment" with the new Pro version vs. the original Zstart. With the original version you had to "shim" different size clutch plates (the metal ones) in order to get the right gap and then fiddle with the perch adjuster at the clutch lever for the right release rate. With the new Pro version you don't have to worry about that anymore. It takes a little more to install initially and to figure out what spring rate to go with (I suggest going with the one Rekluse recommends when 1st starting out) for optimal clutch release depending on the conditions your predominantly ride in.

Also, with the newer version the clutch override function is closer to a standard clutch feel. You can hold in the clutch, rev up the motor, and drop the hammer and it will act just like a normal clutch would 👍.

Just have one question. Do you still use your clutch to shift gears ?

Or do you just slam it into the next gear ?

Just have one question. Do you still use your clutch to shift gears ?

Or do you just slam it into the next gear ?

You don't need to use the clutch to change gears with a Rekluse.

As a matter of fact, I never use the clutch to change gears, and I don't even have a Rekluse...👍

Just another opinion...

I ride AA loop type stuff and Trials. I use my clutch all the time. I have come to rely on it, and my finger is always on it. It is as much a tool for my riding as the brakes and throttle. I regularly rely on a concurrent clutch/brake/throttle application to maintain balance and recover from mistakes in the technical stuff.

I spent an hour and a half on a borrowed 525 with a Rekluse. I was completely lost. I rode like I belonged on a PW50.

A)I didn't know what gear I was in unless I gassed it, and then if I was in too high of a gear, I only figured it out after a sluggish power delivery, requiring an emergency downshift and throttle up to get back up to speed. I literally had to count gears.

:busted: Going down steep, tight, technical stuff, at slow Trials type speeds, I was reduced to a babbling idiot, literally laughing at myself for being so clueless.

The compression braking was fine in the beginning of the downhill, but it starts freewheeling all of a sudden when the force is too much (I guess) similar to a belt drive centrifugal clutch. The only way to get any drive from there was to gas it, and that was not necessarily what I needed at the time. I just wanted to blip off a rock and drop to the next level. When I did gas it to get drive, it about sent me over the bars, cuz I was coasting faster than a few rpm's of rev in the gear I was in. Wierd.

C)When I hit the shifter on rocks, logs or my own boot, or if I dropped it, I would lose what gear I was in. The bike wouldn't stall, which is cool, but the penalty was to spend the time to find first gear, or the gear I needed all over again, having to gas it to identify said gear.

I have spent too much time trying to perfect the clutch/brake/throttle relationship, and I enjoy the feeling of doing it all right and pullin' some big killer dramatic move/save. To learn it all over again just to avoid a stall is too high a price to pay. This is not to say that the Rekluse does not have it's place, it surely does, but not for me. :worthy:👍

I have ran BOTH models of Rekluse ... and it still amazes me the amount of misinformation out there. I don't know why people insist on lending their opinion on this topic when they really don't have their facts straight or have a clue what they are talking about.:worthy:

So often you get the .... I rode a friend of a friends bike for 5 minutes who's sister had a Rekluse in her brothers bike ....

Anyway, if you put somebody on a bike with the new Z-start PRO model installed AND DID NOT TELL THEM the bike had a Rekluse, they would ride the bike for quite a while without even knowing ... its NOT that much radically different.

Where it is different is stalling ... set up properly its VERY HARD to stall. If its freewheeling going downhill, its a setup issue ..

The ONLY downsides are trying to start you bike ... you cannot bump start it.

The other .... stalling on a hill. No rear wheel engagment when the engine is off ... for all intensive purposes, your bike is in neutral if the engine stalls regardless if its in gear.... steep hill = roll backwards.

Other changes worth noting .. the Rekluse will ADD the equivalent of approximatley 6OZ of flywheel weight effect (as per conversations with Rekluse techs) .. that is why some people claim its engagement is a little different than stock.

Having said all this, I would never ride a bike without a Rekluse ... the advantages outweight the disadvantages in my opinion. Most riders who have Rekluse's installed will tell you the same thing .... the percentage of riders who remove them after installation is very small .... although not zero.

Either way, if you have the $$$$. a good investment in my mind.👍

I have ran BOTH models of Rekluse ... and it still amazes me the amount of misinformation out there. I don't know why people insist on lending their opinion on this topic when they really don't have their facts straight or have a clue what they are talking about.:busted:

So often you get the .... I rode a friend of a friends bike for 5 minutes who's sister had a Rekluse in her brothers bike ....

Anyway, if you put somebody on a bike with the new Z-start PRO model installed AND DID NOT TELL THEM the bike had a Rekluse, they would ride the bike for quite a while without even knowing ... its NOT that much radically different.

Where it is different is stalling ... set up properly its VERY HARD to stall. If its freewheeling going downhill, its a setup issue ..

The other .... stalling on a hill. No rear wheel engagment when the engine is off ... for all intensive purposes, your bike is in neutral if the engine stalls regardless if its in gear.... steep hill = roll backwards.

Other changes worth noting .. the Rekluse will ADD the equivalent of approximatley 6OZ of flywheel weight effect (as per conversations with Rekluse techs) .. that is why some people claim its engagement is a little different than stock.

Having said all this, I would never ride a bike without a Rekluse ... the advantages outweight the disadvantages in my opinion. Most riders who have Rekluse's installed will tell you the same thing .... the percentage of riders who remove them after installation is very small .... although not zero.

:blah::D:doh: , but it will freewheel if you pull in the clutch on a downhill; however, all it takes is a quick blip of the throttle to get it to reengage. The Z-start PRO model is the way to go :worthy:.

Pro's : make money

Cons : make money but only like 23 cents a day.

LMAO.....Then the Cons are making 13 cents a day more than the rest of us:prof: 👍

Just another opinion...

I spent an hour and a half on a borrowed 525 with a Rekluse. I was completely lost. I rode like I belonged on a PW50.

Great post... very honest... and quite humorous!

However, you didn't ride it enough. It took me, probably a good full two days or more to understand the Rekluse (Z-Start), which in all honesty... was initially setup wrong (my fault - and I missed an entire race because of it - screwing it up on the start line! Bailing out before mid-first lap to save the clutch) and added to the time to understand it. Once I had some issues (and lost pole position, and knocked my self out for 8min - all related to my rekluse and sever frustration), and got them straightened out... it was all amazement to me.

I will add, that in some race applications or severe riding styles... the rekluse wouldn't hurt your style... but it would take longer to get used to. Imagine... standing on the brakes in whoops, to nail a turn... all out of shape, and you don't ever have to pull in the clutch (for fear of a stall), only unless you need that burst of power to straighten you out. Such a great 'tool' I think.

I have ran BOTH models of Rekluse ... and it still amazes me the amount of misinformation out there. I don't know why people insist on lending their opinion on this topic when they really don't have their facts straight or have a clue what they are talking about.:D

BAM!! Gas for that post. Nothing like hitting it on the head again. Damn nail is driven so deep... :worthy: ahh, never mind. 🤣

:doh::p🤣 , but it will freewheel if you pull in the clutch on a downhill; however, all it takes is a quick blip of the throttle to get it to reengage with the clutch out. The Z-start PRO model is the way to go :busted:.

fixed. 🤣

(actually, I blip my throttle all the time... so my bike is never at idle coming down a hill, or anywhere.... and my bike RARELY will freewheel. That is until I come to a near stop. Anything just above idle my clutch is engaged, or engadging - setting it where it engages in the high rpms... makes it hard to ride, and doesn't seem like how it was designed or intended to be used)

And Dan... like I've said prior, the Z-start is perfectly capable of clutch use (almost as normal) when the RPMs are off-idle (as long as your setup correctly). I'd venture to say almost as decent as the Pro Model. But... getting rid of my perch adjuster?!?! Not sure about that.... as you can adjust the spring tension on the fly if you have to. Love that capability :blah: (correct me if I'm wrong - but the Pro has less "field" adjustment for the rider).

I almost took mine out. As the Boyeson Alum. Cast side case is cracked (and thought about going back to the KISS method)... AND I wanted to just go back to a decent stocker side case... but, just couldn't get myself to do it... and instead, ordered the Rekluse (billet - and much stronger than the cheaper Boyeson cast unit) side cover. Love my Reklussy!

🤣

I have ran BOTH models of Rekluse ... and it still amazes me the amount of misinformation out there. I don't know why people insist on lending their opinion on this topic when they really don't have their facts straight or have a clue what they are talking about.👍

Well... Somebeody slap me. I guess my opinion was incorrect. Thanks for providing us with the correct opinion, Supervokes. I'll try to get it right next time. :worthy:

:blah::busted:

Well... Somebeody slap me. I guess my opinion was incorrect. Thanks for providing us with the correct opinion, Supervokes. I'll try to get it right next time. :worthy:

:blah::busted:

Slugboy, I was not referring to your post at all ... yours just happened to be above mine, that all. I am referring to the vast number of posts in TT in general that have the information all wrong.

Yours is your own riding account .... Hope there was no confusion here 👍

No problem 'Vokes.

I'm glad you like the Rekluse. That's great! I feel the same way about my Hondas. Hey, wait a minute... maybe it was the KTM that had me floppin' around on the loops like John Belushi doing a Joe Cocker impersonation. Nevermind...

• Like 1

No problem 'Vokes.

I'm glad you like the Rekluse. That's great! I feel the same way about my Hondas. Hey, wait a minute... maybe it was the KTM that had me floppin' around on the loops like John Belushi doing a Joe Cocker impersonation. Nevermind...

HAHAHA .... I'll have to bring that expression up to my riding partner who rides a KTM .... we are always jabbing eachother! Great expression 👍:worthy::busted: