Sign in to follow this  

Popped twice, lucky twice.

Ok so here is the story...

I took off work a tad early to get my 06 DRZ400SM inspected. Im like 300 yards out of my driveway and i got popped by a sherif doing 48 in a 35. Its a good thing i saw him first AND i was taking it easy letting my bike warm up. That was only the second time i had ever seen a cop on my dirt road. Just my luck! At least i was not gong 65.

The thing is he flashed his lights super late. I knew i should have just throttled through it not even acknowledged him. Cops flash their lights and pull over all the time what is to say they are trying to stop you. Why not slow down for a second to be safe then continue on you merry way, only to take the first blind corner you come across. I knew by the way he looked at me he knew he was saying "please stop." Like with his hand too. If i had not looked i could have lost him in an instant. At that time i thought, FOOL NEVER LOOK! JUST KEEP RIDING. IDIOT! But i had nothing to fear because my bike is legal, might as well stop.

So i shut off my bike and think about how much this is going to cost me in insurance. Im standing next to my bike and i realized that it was the same Sheriff that pulled me over when i was riding my YZ250F. That time i also stopped but it was because my buddy was behind me with his kid in his lap and i knew he wasnt up for a chase. That time the cop just looked at us and was like "well at least the kid has a helmet on" and wrote us warnings. Needless to say i was hoping he was friendly again. Well he was a dick head about it but gave me warning... which is better than friendly but ticket happy.

So he askes for the credentials, being super cold about it. i pass them over. and said "i am just going to get it inspected now im on my lunch break. Its got an 8 on it, that is still good till the end of the month right?" He runs them. Then he comes back and checks my bike's VIN against the paperwork. Then he looks at my license and sees my endorsement is stuck on with a sticker on the back. He is like "why don't you have the endorsement printed on the license" at which point i had to explain to him how upon completing a motorcycle safety foundation course they give you the sticker on the back on the spot. He then hassled me to make sure they give me a new one when i get a new license. I should have pointed out that would be in 2012. He then wrote me a warning and told me to bend my licence plate down (I have a Acerbis light/fender combo). "Yes sir"

After making a half hearted attempt to bend my license plate back, which failed because it was resting at its designed height, i gave my bike a little gas to put her back on course and accelerate me quite promptly to exactly the posted speed limit.

I crest the hill and ride away thinking "boy i got lucky!" when i see more lights and a little honk in that distinctively horn that cops give when they have you locked on target. Like a damn tractor beam. No running this time.

OK what now? cop comes out right this time. "You roosted me, right after i let you off with a warning. You know you are trying my patience here."

"Sorry officer, i have really slick tires here and we were on gravel with a few loose bits in it. and it was a bit of a hill"

officer collera: No way you roosted me on purpose.

Scared motorcyclist: Honest officer, i was trying to accelerate quickly but i didnt mean to roost you. Why would i do that, that would be asking for a ticket.

Officer: I used to ride dirt bikes and motorcycles and i know all about it. So dont lie to me.

By this time im sliding pretty thick into my fake redneck accent to kinda hope he can relate to it. So he feels like perhaps im more of a local. AND after all i was in my home town. "Well i guess im just not that good of a riderrr. This thing looses traction pretty easily and it comes right back so i never much worry bout et. I swear to god i didnt roost you on purpose"

Officer: "no way you reved it and popped it on purpose"

Me: Like i told you, im just not that good. it was an accident, it was gravel.

Officer.. "go on, get outta here. Im watching this time tho, you better do it right"

And i slowly accelerated away thinking how lucky i am. Lessons learned:

1. i need to pay more attention to my roosting habit. I guess i never really gave thought to how little traction is going on back there. I also need to consider how someone, especially a cop, can find roosting to be a bad thing, because im usually proud when i retrace my tracks and see long burn out marks in the gravel. Im not exactly sure what the offense was but im glad i didnt get a roosting ticket. Altho i would definitely have showed up to my day in court to argue that one.

2. I got super freaking lucky.

3. Don't look, dont stop. There are some things in life that you know you should not look at, but you do anyways. the next step is to think about how you should not have looked and decide not to look next time. This is high on the list.

4. I guess i do need to slow down a bit. But hell, riding the speed limit on a DRZ just isnt nearly as much fun. Especially on a dirt road.

And thats my story

Been riding since I was 8, am 48 now. So I'm sure I remember refusing to pay an extra $20 to get grandfathered in 20-some years ago. A young idiot-keep my 20 bucks and screw the cops.

So after 15-plus years w/o a ticket I get one speeding on the 4th of July-73 in a 45!!! (now, an old idiot) Plus one for no endorsement. he asked me if I had it and I said "no". Anyway the cop says just get the endorsement before court & the judge will let me go.

So I pay $240 and burn (literally-August,tarmac, engine running-not moving) up for three (yes, 3!) days and get the thing. Go in to the DMV Monday and the dude says I should've just called and they'd have added it for me! I say "***!?" and he says "yeah, you've had it for 21 years!! I asked him why they hadn't put it on my license the last 6 times I renewed and he said I never asked!!

The only way I could calm down was to tell myself that maybe I learned something that might save my life. I call the clerk of the court, she says can't help me-got to go to court. So I'll be a town away at 10:00 AM losing a days wages getting the man to look at his own records to be innocent!

Last time I got popped, I was doing a wheelie on my R1 in the middle of nowhere. What re the odds of a cop behind the one vacant bulding in the area?

Pulls me over......"Aren't you getting a little old for this? Have a nice day."

sometimes you can win one

cop ( a guy I grue up with that loves his harlys ) shows up to my house saying that they got some phone calls about how loud my bike is and how I ride it

I sead " come on Brad you know that I have been riding for more years than you. and that I have a broken back ... I'm not going to risk aney thing that would put me back into that wheel chear "

Cop pointed " this is not a stock exhoust "

getting quite perturbed I replyed " your harly has every thing but a stock exhoust .... lets go to my brother-in-laws to pull out his sporster with drag pipes .... I cant tell if my bike is running 10 feet away from that bike ... look closer ( I get out a little flashlight ) this is mufler is baffled .... I'm a home owner in this little ass town and if the other towns peapel don't like my bike becouse it sounds difernt than a harly than they can go buy me one !!!!! I get over 50MPG and could buy 3 DRZ for the price of one harly "

he ended up smiling and sead to just slow down

this was last year

sens than he was sitting "runing radar" ware I get onto a 65MPH road he now knows just how quiet I try to keep it

saw Brad out on the harly .. stopped to chat .. he pointed out that he could hear me 3 miles away whin I hit the rev limiter

unfortunately Super Troopers is a work of fiction. Otherwise i would be immune from tickets cause i would be shacked up with Ursula the hotty cop.

HAHA ironically im staring at a banner add write above the box im typing this into that says "Justice Pays. Become a community hero" trying to get me to be a police officer. Too bad that advertiser didn't know im a lost cause, they coulda saved money by paying for one less web-impression.

cop ( a guy I grue up with that loves his harlys ) shows up to my house saying that they got some phone calls about how loud my bike is

Since the cops refuse to correct the situation, I hope one of your neighbors comes over and kicks you in the nuts and shoves your Yosh up your hindside.

OK OK, maybe that was a bit harsh, but seriously, it saddens me that your so proud of the fact that you annoy your neighbors to the point that they actually had to call the police on you.

8mpg? send him over here, at $9 a gallon he'd really have something to winge about!!

Dan

"OK what now? cop comes out right this time. "You roosted me, right after i let you off with a warning. You know you are trying my patience here."

"Sorry officer, i have really slick tires here and we were on gravel with a few loose bits in it. and it was a bit of a hill""

That is funny right there. Good story! 👍