Sign in to follow this  

New DR-Z 400 S Owner Intro

Hello all. Just wanted to introduce myself before asking for your input on all things DRZ. I just purchased a used low milage 2002. I haven't really ridden but a couple of miles since the purchase, as I want to fully evaluate her current state of repair.

Today, when I joined TT, I used the 10% discount to buy the TT MCCT, the rad guards, a skid plate (I bought this for off-road more than anything else) and the case guards. Hopefully 340 dollars well spent.

Today, I pulled covers, and removed the LED rear brake light and re-attached the stock rear dong and blinkers that the PO had simply cut off. The LED was attached to an acerbis fender thing that was simply zip tied (poorly) into place.

I also tried to remove the FMF aftermarket pipe (very loud) to replace with the stocker that came with the purchase, but it is rusted to the header pipe, and it will not come off, I will probably cut it off tomorrow.

Lots of loose bolts. Bike runs well, but backfires on decel, though the header pipe is tight and I did not identify any exhaust leaks.

She seems to be mostly stock, no 3x3 mod, but is generally clean.

I will likely have to check the valves as well, but will need to buy the manual.

So, that's my intro.... Glad your all here to talk about the DR-Z.:)

Are you on ADV also? Think I saw you there. Anyway you are off to a good start. Pull the snorkel from the air box, might improve the pop on deceleration. Check the jetting section of this forum. I have an '02 "S" also. The Zuk manual is poor at best, but I have it. the "S" manual was only printed for the 2000 model, then they added supplements. I have noticed the bike I have been around that had "jeting kits" in them were usually botched, and backfired or were way too rich to run well at high alt. They seemed very temprimental. I think it may be an installer error. Anyway have fun, good bullit proof ride.

I believe popping on decel is runing too rich, do the 3x3 and rejet to stop that.

Rad guard, MCCT, and skid plate--IMO best money you can spend, considering one side of the rad is ~$300. (I bent my left side laying it in the powder w/o rad guards!)

By the way, welcome aboard! Have fun with the Tractor!

Ride safe,

Adam

Welcome to TT.👍

Your money it spent well. Try to to everything to revove the FMF before cutting it. Try to cut a slit the pipe to allow expansion so you can slip it off.

Thanks for the welcome. After I posted this intro, I went out and used 3 in 1 to loosen up the FMF power Core 4 muff. I finally got her off, but now realize that some sort of steel adapter was added to the header for the FMF to slip on to. Stocker won't go back on until I remove that adapter which is rusted in place.

I will aslo need to buy a muffler connector (PN 14771-29F10 Description CONNECTOR,MUF J) as this part did not come with the bike.

Where are you folks getting such parts quickly?

Ron Ayers will have it but I'll be waiting for weeks.

TIA

Yes, I post occasionally over on Advrider, and more frequently on KLR650.net (as wzd1a). I thought, I would use a more imaginative name here.

Here are some Picts of my new DRZ, My KLR in surgery, and the muffler flange I am having difficulty removing and gasket I am refering to above:

SANY3073.jpg

SANY3072.jpg

SANY3074.jpg

SANY3077.jpg

SANY3075.jpg

SANY3076.jpg

I'm not too sure but I think the 02 has really soft suspenssion. I feel getting the suspenssion to your specs would make the DRZ a much nicer/faster woods bike. I played with mine and it was the one of the best investments. 👍

Welcome aboard.

I got the FMF muffler adapter off this morning, and re-installed the stock muffler (and get this, my local dealer had the stock muffler connecter in stock) - aaahhhh... much nicer on the ears, and no more backfire on decel.

Now I am happy with my purchase.👍

I got the FMF muffler adapter off this morning, and re-installed the stock muffler (and get this, my local dealer had the stock muffler connecter in stock) - aaahhhh... much nicer on the ears, and no more backfire on decel.

Now I am happy with my purchase.👍

Should of hit me up about a month ago lol I sold a pipe with 200 road miles on it for 40 bucks, full pipe. Yeah it's nicer to have it quiter I wish mine was but it's too loud and with the mods I dont really have an option unless I want to lose like an instant 6hp