Sign in to follow this  

Tell Your Disaster Stories (Pictures If They Exist)

Tell us your worst disaster stories so we can cry with you and or laugh at/with you. :)

Im on my laptop, so I dont have any of my pics with me but pre running the baja race last year with a few buddies, one of which brought his fully pre run Ranger which hes trying to get into this years race, a guy in our group went down bad. He had a pretty severe concussion. He didnt break anything and he slid off the course out of the way.

Only problem his bike wasnt so lucky, or the Ranger for that matter. The Ranger which has a 460 dropped into it hit the bike at about 80+mph. The bike, a XR400, managed to wrap its self around the 33 in wheel. It tore out parts of the fender, wheel well and almost tore out the whole left wheel I Beam. Luckily for us we were about half a mile off the road we turned off of. We all got the call on our radios to turn around and that was the end of that trip.

Another story about my early days of MX in the Beginner class is interesting. I came up a little short on a jump and hard on my rear wheel and caught the lip, well I was a bit scared and leaning back:bonk: It pulled the handle bars out of my hands and I kept gong forward, I barely reached my bars again before the corner and accidently put a hard block pass on a guy in a corner. I didnt punt him but damn that hurt.

lol...sorry bought that, thinking back, it seems funny that after 27 years of riding I haven't really had a bike disaster that's worth mentioning. Every time I race that old '81 YZ125, I swear it's gonna fly apart, if it's spectacular, I'll make sure to write back with a good story...👍

^^ Ouch, however I should of been more clear I actually meant disasters like the crank going through the case.

The only thing even remotely close to a mechanical disaster I've had is going up the steep side of the Cat&Fiddle run (from Congleton side on the C road for those that know the area) on a 125 4t Kawasaki, just to see what would happen.

What happened was, after struggling slipping the clutch if first for about half a mile the head gasket went (or the head warped) allowing a nice jet of hot oil to spray my right leg. Obviously my mechanical sympathy got the better of me & I walked alongside for the rest of the way & just let the bike concentrate on pulling it's own weight up.

Strangely, once it cooled I never saw a drop of oil out of that engine again & it was still running strongly when I sold it a year later.. 👍

I will, however, try to find this thread again once the DR engine goes pop (which it should, I had to un-sieze the gudgeon pin with a mounted stone to grind out the pickup from the conrod!!!)