Sign in to follow this  

2 stroke jumping..

I know this has been covered by not quite clear.. learned the hard way a couple days ago. Im comming off a yz250f just got a yz250 2 stroke.. i ride motocross quite often and need to figure out how to jump with the 2 stroke without looping out. The other day first couple jumps went decent but wasnt hittin them hard.. When i wanted to hit it with speed my front tire shot 12 oclock.. couldnt find rear brake in time. got thrown off got stiches in my hand. :)

With my 4 stroke i could pin it all the way through the face of the jump with no problem.. well i learned fast that u cant do that on a 2 stroke.. so whats the technique to hittin a jump on a 250 2 stroke :D

I'm not that good, but the track this past weekend I had enough speed to roll over and clear half of the camlebacks. I know there was this one step-up which taught me that if you keep it pinned you jump a lot farther. I've had a couple of mishaps pinning it and almost looping out. You just have to experiment slowly with throttle control and body positioning.

mostly body positioning i guess.. itl come with seat time on the new bike. just half to get used to the smoker:ride:

hope ur hand gets better soon

Short shift so that you are not right in the power band where the 2 stroke gives you that kick in the butt. Once you get use to the engine response it doesn't seem an issue anymore. You learn to either modulate the throttle or to anticipate with body position.

Alright thanks guys.. didnt know what was goin on.. get my stiches out in a couple days should be ready to get back out there and ride. I guess it'll just come natural with gettin used to the new bike and everything. Any other suggestions and advice is greatly appriciated.

body position is a biggie.

make sure your suspension is setup for you. got enough rebound in the forks?

i know i sound like a broken record, but try a throttle cam. i think several companies are making them now. g2 for one. it gives so much more throttle control. i can barely feel the hit when it comes. the transition is that smooth. i actually am as aggressive with my 250 with the cam, as i am with my 125 w/o it. i use the most taming cam in the kit.

and remember, the 250t is more bike than the 250f.

You need to be in the powerband long before the jump and just keep a steady throttle off the jump. You'll get used to it as you get used to the smoker. It's easy as anything for me right now, when I first started out on the smokers with an 85 I had a hell of a time though. There will be times when you need to be wide open off a jump right out of a corner and as you get used to the bike you will learn it.

The 4stroke has engine braking that will put some braking action on the rear and pitch the bike slightly forward. You need to be on the pipe while jumping with a steady throttle. Its just going to take some time to learn the bike.

as has been said, you either need to be well and truely into the pwoerband, or lugging it, you can't be transitioning into the powerband on the lead up or ont he face of the jump, lean forward, and steady throttle.

Alright thanks guys.. i think i understand the concept.. u cant hit the powerband up the face b/c its goin to all of a sudden hit and lightin up the front wheel quite a bit and your not much ready for it. So ride the powerband like its supposed to be ridden or u can lug/ short shift. Lean forward! = ]

I had this same trouble on my two strokes. I never completely looped out like you have, but I have had a few good scares. Smokers tend to jump front wheel high anyway, but a steady throttle hand is super inmortant on the quick reving two strokes. I like the way my thumper jumps in comparison, teh front wheel tends to drop a little, and I can always row back to keep things in check. If I was on a smoker, I would definately buy a G2 Throttle cam, I think it would help with these types of situations.

Smokers tend to jump front wheel high anyway, but a steady throttle hand is super inmortant on the quick reving two strokes.

Not True!! It has everything to do with throttle control and body positioning. If your fork rebound is to fast it will make you work harder to compinsate for it, you could add a click or two to slow down the rebound and that might help a little bit seeing as you're coming from 4 stroke it is most likely a throttle control issue that you have to get used to.

Not True!! It has everything to do with throttle control and body positioning. If your fork rebound is to fast it will make you work harder to compinsate for it, you could add a click or two to slow down the rebound and that might help a little bit seeing as you're coming from 4 stroke it is most likely a throttle control issue that you have to get used to.

Agreed! 2-stroke throttle control really isn't hard, and neither is jumping a 2-stroke. If you learned on a thumper then yes it will take some getting used to but before long you should have no problem. I don't see any need for the throttle cam, to me I might actually want it quicker turning.