Sign in to follow this  

lacquer for air filter

So tonight I went to go clean the air filter on my dirt bike and discovered that i was fresh out of mineral oil and in looking for an alternative I used lacquer to clean it. I figured it was about the same stuff until I put my filter in and immediately the filter became oddly fluffy and soft. I am thinking that the lacquer wasn't good for the filter but am coming here to wonder if anybody uses lacquer to clean there air filter and more importantly if it will have any ill effects to the air filter?

I use lacquer thinner to get gunk off of my graphics and plastics, but I wouldn't put it on my air filter because its potent stuff. I would say get a new airfilter, I prefer UNI's.

Laquer is essentially a plastic, and filter foam is also a plastic, so laquer thinner on filter foam=damaged or destroyed filter foam.

Leave it in there much longer, stirring occasionally, you'll have a nice plastic soup. When the lacquer flashes off, the goo might work in your bars for vibration dampening 👍

So tonight I went to go clean the air filter on my dirt bike and discovered that i was fresh out of mineral oil and in looking for an alternative I used lacquer to clean it. I figured it was about the same stuff until I put my filter in and immediately the filter became oddly fluffy and soft. I am thinking that the lacquer wasn't good for the filter but am coming here to wonder if anybody uses lacquer to clean there air filter and more importantly if it will have any ill effects to the air filter?

Just grab the gas can next time.

What about Mineral Spirits paint thinner? I've used that for years.... must be much more mild than the thinner he used. I was told the Mineral Spirits is easier on the glue than using gasoline.

I used mineral spirits ONCE on my UNI filter with no problems. But no toil is just so much easier and better on the environment.

If your filter became fluffy and soft, I would say that is bad. I will put Lacquer Thinner on my list of stuff not to use. Thank you!

Is mineral oil something that can be safely used on air filters? I've been using it for a while and it doesn't seem to hurt the filter but I'd like to make sure.

sometimes lacquer thinner will soften plastices and things,( as you have noticed) but often times they can go back to there natural state after the thinner has evaporated. If that was the case with this filter, i would possibly keep it as aback up, but make sure it is solid and isn't falling apart.

A new filter will be peace of mind, mineral spirits is the exact same as charcoal fluid, after cleaning your filters, save the dirty solvent, it makes a kick ass fire starter when camping. burns low and slow.

I use old premix or any gasoline. I tried my parts washer and it seems to work just fine. I tested it on an old filter and have been using it to clean ever since. After it's clean, I spray it off with a hose from the inside out and let it air dry.

I dont particularly like "single use" items. It's bad enough you need specific filter oil and different bike lubricants.