Sign in to follow this  

07 250sx wont start in gear

I jus got a new to me 250sx and was riding it around the yard a bit for about 15 minutes. One thing I noticed was the bike wont start in gear. In neutral it fires first kick but when it was in gear the kick was really choppy like the clutch wasnt engaging all the way. Could it just be that the bike needs to be ran more and heat up the trans oil more? Or is it something more serious?

I jus got a new to me 250sx and was riding it around the yard a bit for about 15 minutes. One thing I noticed was the bike wont start in gear. In neutral it fires first kick but when it was in gear the kick was really choppy like the clutch wasnt engaging all the way. Could it just be that the bike needs to be ran more and heat up the trans oil more? Or is it something more serious?

More than likely the clutch basket has grooves in it. Could also be warped clutch plates.

every bike I have purchased that was hard to start in gear had some real heavy gear oil in it. I changed it out to my brand, no issues. Of course, that doesn't mean something else isn't wrong. Just try the simplest solution first.

I jus got a new to me 250sx and was riding it around the yard a bit for about 15 minutes......

so it really couldnt have just needed to be warmed up?

When you drain the oil, pull the clutch cover off and look the basket over. It's simple to do and only takes a few minutes. If it's not grooved, then you can definitely rule that out. In my mind, that's the most logical guess being that you bought a used mx bike that isn't that old. MX can be hard on baskets.

I guess I have been lucky with my used bike purchases. Haven't had to tear into one yet. My 05 has way more time on it than that 07.

I may check the basket next oil change, just because.

the old owner used it only for single track. i rode it today and it started fine in gear once warmed up....man i love this bike. I was expecting more of a hit though. I think I will be changing the powervalve springs

I would go with these steps: (as mentioned above)

1) Change the oil

2) Check the hydraulic clutch

3) Check the clutch basket/plates

dont pull the cover to look at outer basket, you do that thru the oil filler hole with a flashlite.

Through that little azz hole, you only see one finger at a time. Pull the cover and see the entire basket. Some fingers wear more than others.

Weird, mine starts in gear? I do have to give her a little bit of throttle though where as if in neutral, zero throttle and first kick she lights up.

yeh it just needed to be warmed up. I went riding on it for the firs time and it started fine in gear once warmed up for a bit.