Sign in to follow this  

Front end acting weird

I posted this in the Yamaha 2 stroke forum and didn't get much response so I will try it here. My front is starting to act weird and it is kinda hard to explain exaxctly what it is doing but I will try. When I push the bike and grab the front brake it seems like something is loose and it makes a funny noise like something is not right. At first I thought is was my brakes, but they seem to be grabbing fine and the problem seems to be more in my suspension.

I have narrowed it down to the three things I think it could be.

1. wheel bearing

2. steering bearings or loose steering

3. forks need work

My bike is an 05 yz250. It has about 70 hrs on it (hour meter) and I am guessing the previous owner took good care of it but probably has not replaced any bearings.

Any ideas on what my problem might be? I was hoping to make it until winter and do a complete teardown so I don't want to start replacing things that don't need replacing. I just want my bike to run good and tight and then get into things this winter. Basically I want a quick fix, if that is what will fix it.

Honestly, I would look at your steering stem bearings first. It could be something as simple as the pre-load nut backing off a little allowing a slight amount of free play in the bearings. Or maybe the bearings are worn and need replacement. Or it could be something else all together.

If feels like your bars are able to move forward and back in the steering stem, look under your bar mounts for the nut on the steering stem and make sure it is tightened down.

I just had this problem on my kx250 and the nut wasn't even finger tight when i checked it 👍

• Like 1

The bars feel pretty solid and move side to side smoothly. Is there anything esle I should look at?

An easy and accurate way to find problems like this is to head down to your local auto parts store and get a mechanics stethoscope (cost you around 20 bucks, and worth every penny), then put your bike on a stand, and listen to all of your bearings on the front end.. move the front end left and right while touching the stethoscope end to the neck where the neck bearings are.. you will quickly learn what good ones and bads ones sound like, the same for wheel bearings, check the left and right side bearings at the shaft next to the wheel while you spin the wheel.. if it is one of those or both is bad you will hear it..

You will be amazed at how easy it is to locate problems with a mechanics stethoscope.. engine, suspension and so on.. but, never EVER let someone talk you into listening to your ignition spark with it! ;-]...

Put the bike on a stand, grab the lower part of the forks, try and move them front to back - you should have no play, if it moves, then your steering stem is loose or the bearings are worn.

Get someone to hold your bars tight, try and move the tire side to side by grabbing it at opposing ends and wiggling - if it moves, your wheel bearings are gone.

Do you have a floating rotor - they like to make noise and sound like something is going to fall off....

Another thing to check is the fork pinch bolts on the triple clamps. If they are not torqued properly they can make a funny creeking noise. Also check to make sure your handlebar clamps are tight.