Sign in to follow this  

got my '09 yz 250 today ~pics

Thanx again to all for your comments.

I'm going out to the garage to start that "grease job" on all the bearings, and anti-sieze on other parts.

No riding today. 👍

Thats smart. It will save you a ton in replacement bearings in about 6 months. Not too tough of a job, actually. I felt like they eliminated a bunch of spacers and washers over the years.

don't forget to anti-seize the rear hydraulic brake reservoir. they were seized when I bought both my used 03/04 YZs but not my 07. Anti-seize everywhere now.

Thanx again to all for your comments.

I'm going out to the garage to start that "grease job" on all the bearings, and anti-sieze on other parts.

No riding today. :worthy:

hey mikey, don't forget to post those pics in your garage ASAP.

you're the very first here in TT owning the '09 YZ250

...FLAUNT IT! HAHA! 👍:busted:

Now I need to remove some of the graphics on my '07 to look current! lol

I bet that the chain is only "better looking" than the previous ones. Save it and the front tire for resale and go w/an O-Ring!

The 2009 YZ250 looks great overall! One minor cosmetic change though is I would have either omitted the too small 250 marking from the radiator shroud graphics and stayed with the YZ250 decals on both sides of the rear fender like my 2007 has on it; or increased the size of the 250 marking and repositioned it underneath the YZ marking within the radiator shroud graphics. I just think that would have looked a little better. But hey, that stuff is irrelevant. The bike is awesome as is. 👍

hey mikey, don't forget to post those pics in your garage ASAP.

you're the very first here in TT owning the '09 YZ250

...FLAUNT IT! HAHA! 👍:busted:

Agreed.. Show that beast off.. You'll be the ONLY 09er for a month or so :worthy:

If you guys think they skimped on the graphic's /lol !!!

You should see the MANUAL!! OMG! It may as well be printed on toilet paper the pages are so thin. I can see the text from the other side of the page bleeding through to the side I'm reading. I have to make a special effort whilst turning pages so I dont rip them. /UGH! I bought my girlfriend the TTR 125 (that is sitting next to the YZ in my garage picture) 3 weeks ago (it is an '07 and was sitting on the dealer floor still so I got a great price, and she can ride with me) and it has an excellent manual (both in quality of info presented and *LOL* "paper quality" * LOL *. Why the skimp for a much better quality machine I wonder??? /hmmm

Anyhow, I recieved my FMF Stealth today in the mail (WOOT!). I prolly wont install it till I'm done breaking the bike in. I think after 2-3 tanks of gas (riding it hard) I'll install it, and rejett the machine.

Are their any other must have items that you long time YZ owners can clue me into getting? Someone in an earlier post mentioned an O-RING chain. That seemes to be a logical thing to get, but prolly not till I wear this one a bit.

I havent had a YZ in many years. I had many of them while growing up and in my early 20's. Since then, I have been riding a Banshee, but I was just dying to get back on 2 wheels and the only way to go for me is a 2 stroke Yammi. Hence the new yz 250.

Hopefully the girlfriend is bringing her digital camera with her this weekend (I will remind her) and I will do my best to get some more pics up of the bike while we do some riding this weekend.

Thanks all!

what a nice looking bike, its times like thies I went I went with a 08 yz250 instead of the 450...the smokers just bring another leval of fun in the game

If you guys think they skimped on the graphic's /lol !!!

You should see the MANUAL!! OMG! It may as well be printed on toilet paper the pages are so thin. I can see the text from the other side of the page bleeding through to the side I'm reading. I have to make a special effort whilst turning pages so I dont rip them. /UGH! I bought my girlfriend the TTR 125 (that is sitting next to the YZ in my garage picture) 3 weeks ago (it is an '07 and was sitting on the dealer floor still so I got a great price, and she can ride with me) and it has an excellent manual (both in quality of info presented and *LOL* "paper quality" * LOL *. Why the skimp for a much better quality machine I wonder??? /hmmm

Anyhow, I recieved my FMF Stealth today in the mail (WOOT!). I prolly wont install it till I'm done breaking the bike in. I think after 2-3 tanks of gas (riding it hard) I'll install it, and rejett the machine.

Are their any other must have items that you long time YZ owners can clue me into getting? Someone in an earlier post mentioned an O-RING chain. That seemes to be a logical thing to get, but prolly not till I wear this one a bit.

I havent had a YZ in many years. I had many of them while growing up and in my early 20's. Since then, I have been riding a Banshee, but I was just dying to get back on 2 wheels and the only way to go for me is a 2 stroke Yammi. Hence the new yz 250.

Hopefully the girlfriend is bringing her digital camera with her this weekend (I will remind her) and I will do my best to get some more pics up of the bike while we do some riding this weekend.

Thanks all!

Change that chain asap. The less you wear the current one the better as those sprockes will get a memory of this chain and if you throw a new one on it will be toast fast:cry:

Change that chain asap. The less you wear the current one the better as those sprockes will get a memory of this chain and if you throw a new one on it will be toast fast:cry:

The 2009 has the gold colored chain. Do you suppose its as bad as the old black one? If so, how could that even be possible?????????

Changes?? Unless the chain has been upgraded a giant amount, replace it with anything. After that, its all about what you like as the bike does not need anything. I liked the thought of a skidplate protecting the lower frame rails. That was one of the first things I bought.

I ended up buying a million things for mine, but that was due to me liking the the bike and having fun. Very few dollars have been spent on my bike to correct anything that was wrong.

Really no changes to the 09, I still don't know why yamaha did not up date

the lower linkage to the 09 4 strokes:confused: But I guess were lucky

yamaha sill making 2 smokes. Con grats on blue, now hit the tracks/trails

before winter hits out their.👍

Thank you for the chain suggestions. I will have to research the new chain vs. old chain. All I have read (without further investigation) is that it is gold now ~lol~ not a very technical description of its overall change.

* What chain do you guys reccomend? *

The girlfriend brought the digital camera Friday night, BUT the battery was dead. So no new pic's from this weekends riding. Sorry. I went riding by myself today (sat.).

I put the FMF Q-Stealth on today (which was about as easy as cleaning your air filter, and allot less of a mess)and took it out for about a 1.5 hour romp. I went by my moms place and rode out to their second property (in the middle of NOWHERE), and to my joy I discovered that there is some kind of MASSIVE excavation in the lower floodplain areas that surround the hilltop property they wanted to build a house on. WOOT! I will be going back tomorrow (hopefully) and will get some pics (even if just camera pics).

Anyhow, after the ride with the Q-Stealth I looked at the silencer and spooge was all over the end of it and running down the leangth of the silencers underside. There was no excessive smoking from the bike's pipe, just the normal little puffs. I assume a rejett is in order at this point. The factory silencer had no spooging. I made one more change before this ride and that was draining out my break in gas mixture and replacing it with VP MS 103 Racing Fuel mixed at 40:1 with Castor 927; and a new spark plug. Any suggestions or comments on wether or not this is an ideal mixture/fuel for the YZ 250. This is the mixture I used for my banshee and that thing was a demon.

The motor has about 3.5 hours on it, with the last hour being fairly agressive at times. Do you guys think the motor is broken in enough to do a rejett at this point? I'm assuming the rejett will clean up the spooge?

On a side note, I was kinda worried that the Q-Stealth was gonna change the sound of my bike too much (I love the sound of a 2-stroke), but it really didnt change it that much from where I was sitting. Granted I had a stock silencer with only 2 hours use on it for a comparison. I did notice a kind of (hard to describe) "queiter/baffled/muffled???" type differnce during idle, but when I opened it up it sounded the same to me. My parents, who were in the house and/or around the property while I was riding did notice a difference. They said it was quieter, and they actually didnt even know I was around till I pulled into the driveway. Maybe the people who hear the noise I'm leaving behind me notice the difference more than I can. As far a difference in power, I cannot really tell if it has changed that much cause I havent allot of hard riding on the bike (especially in the first 2 hrs on the motor with the stock silencer). It stills seems good, but I really think I wont feel its true power till it is jetted correctly. I'm also assuming that when it is jetted properly it should blow the doors of my Banshee (I hope!).

I will try for some pics, but I was alone and its not easy to take pictures of yourself riding around LOL!!!

B.T.W. Think were heading to Wayne National Forest next weekend. I might take it to Smith Road Raceway for Wednesdy practice and putt around to get more aquanted with my bike and jumping/cornering/etc. I would like to go out to TV-Land it isnt far from here (2.5 hrs or so), but I need to get some more time back on 2 wheels before I head there ~ and my bike tuned up.

FMF silencer and more specifically their spark arrestors take a rich bike and make them richer. Rejetting it will be a snap and give you more power too. Good to "hear" that the Q Stealth is quieter to those listening to it from afar!

FMF silencer and more specifically their spark arrestors take a rich bike and make them richer. Rejetting it will be a snap and give you more power too. Good to "hear" that the Q Stealth is quieter to those listening to it from afar!

I wasnt really crazy about installing the Q-Stealth at first (I was worried bout robbing power and changing a sound I like), BUT all that really matters to me is that I can ride the thing in more places. I am respectful of ppl and do not start the bike at my home in the Cleveland area subburbs, and idle past the few neighbors my mother has round her place in the middle of nowhere. People here, such as RC_Cannon (who have many years exp with a YZ 250) have stated that it doesnt rob power; so what more can I ask for. I'm forest legal now which in Ohio and the surrounding states opens up a whole lotta playgrounds for me. I can get into WNF, Hatfield and McCoy, and a mob 'o places in P.A. now legally. With just a few hours driving/trailoring. I'm A happy camper!

Congrats on the YZ Mike

Your fuel and oil are fine. You'll get many different answers on that but you're in the ballpark.

I run 32:1 yamalube and 91 pump with my bike, tuned for it.

I like 32:1 for the extra downhill closed throttle singletrack protection and the yamalube is inexpensive and proven.

But it's a preference and not a necessity. You're at about 1000ft and 90F right?

That's 48/#2CJ/172.....with your race gas and QS you could prob. run 45/#2CJ/170 for max response.

When the temps drop back into the 70's and cooler, go back to the 48/#2EJ/172. In the 50's and cooler bump the main to a 175.

If you run pump, you'll have to prob. bump those one richer and/or adjust your timing.

The main reason your bike is spooging so much right now is it's jetted for a rich sea level/60F/stock pipe

and your density altitude today was 4000ft. with the temp in the 90's and humidity.

It's not needed at all.

Nice bike. 👍

I always wanted to do this with mine. No reason as Marco said. I wanted to do it just to see if there would be anything. I hate to waste the cost of a base gasket to find out.