Sign in to follow this  

BMX in western WA

Ive been thinking about fixing up the Schwinn to ride BMX on to get into shape for moto and hunting and junk like that, but I dont know of any good tracks near Grays Harbor. They had a pretty nice one up at Shelton but it was gone the last time I was there. Anyone know of any good tracks to ride?

Mccollum park in everett (yea I know way outta the way) it's suppose to be getting a national this year. I could probably go ride there for free one of my ridding buds mom runs the place. I got enough sense to just let my SE assasain rot away in the garage these days.

Mccollum park in everett (yea I know way outta the way) it's suppose to be getting a national this year. I could probably go ride there for free one of my ridding buds mom runs the place. I got enough sense to just let my SE assasain rot away in the garage these days.

Post up a pic of your SE Racing bike!!! 👍

I have been thinking about getting back into it for quite some time and the indoor track that was close closed down, so no more winter BMX in the Portland area that I know of.

I just need brakes for my Huffy and I should be good to go.

Huffy.jpg

Meh. Cant really find anything within driving distance. Guess I'll fire up the tractor and build my own.

There used to be one between Orting and Sumner.

It's still there.

Steve

http://www.rivervalleybmxracing.com/ in sumner

http://www.seatacbmx.org/ Federal way

And there is one in South Prarie but no website yet

Oh boy....another temptation. I've also thought about BMX as conditioning. I ride the hills in my neighborhood on the 87' "hardtail" mountain bike, as the kids say these days, but it's pretty boring. I've wanted to hit a BMX track ever since my oldest got his 16" bike from "Santa" 7 years ago. I think it's time Dad got a bike from Santa! 👍 $5 for practice is very reasonable. My youngest would totally dig it. We're checking it out before summer is over for sure. Of course, he'll need (and me too!) something better than his Chinese Wally World special. We were just at Sports Authority tonight buying soccer and football shoes and they had some $329 Sims BMX bikes. Anyone know if Sims are good? Seems like a lot to pay for a bike, but they looked pretty solid and all ready for park/tricks.

I don't know about the Sims brand, but as an ex-bicycle shop manager I wouldn't buy a bike from sports Authority or any large sports store. Try to support a local bike shop if you can.

My son races BMX at te Sumner track casually and we seem to spend alot of time there. The local Sumner bicycle shop is called "Bonney Lake Bicycles" since they moved there from Bonney Lake and is a great local store and they have a good selection of BMX bikes in stock. The nice thing about them is that they do free bike tune ups for life, so free wheel true-ups for the life of the bike. We find that a nice bonus.

As for bike brands we've been buying Redlines the last few years and have great bang for the buck, but that shop stocks other brands as well.

If your near Sumner, go check out the track. It's under new management and talk to some locals about brands and stores. The track itself is in great condition and is changed very regularly to keep it fresh and different.

I picked up a used GT 24" wheel bike (I don't have the skills to ride a 20" anymore!) and have a blast trying to follow my kid on the track and not falling off while having a cardiac arrest out there.

BTW I noticed that there was some used 20" bikes for sale the last time we were at the track.

👍

Well most hardcore BMX'er would say the parts must say made in USA on them to get the best parts. Which means going with a smaller lesser known company most of the time. They would say you got ripped off if you bike had a made i taiwan sticker on it.

Sims I don't know that brand but i know it's just a knock off mongoose is a shadow of what it used to be ever since brunswick bought the name back n '99. SE racing sold out go way down hill I'm not into anymore I don't know who makes the best stuff.

BMX'ers are all about lightness and no drag so they usually have aluminum frames minimal hubs (low flange style) all good bikes should have 1 1/8 inch setup anymore but plastic nut caps are cheap.

Alex rims should be considered throw aways unless they are the real deal and the chromed models. Cheaper bikes come with reg aluminum rims and the real cheap ones the rims have a wear limit. Once it wears beyond the limit the rim side wall litterally like "pop" out into a V shape basically becoming useless. Most bmx bikes have 36 spoked rims. double crossed wheel lacing should not be considered an upgrade should be considered standard item.

freestyle and hardcore jumpers will tell you to get a strong strudy frame n fork most like cro-mo they will say aluminum is a compromise in strength.

must have 48 spoked wheels at least 3x crossed laced with high flange hubs

other stuff like 14 mm axle's are more common

tripple butted forks is a plus ( means the tubes taper smaller down the tube for strengh)

someone your size needs 3 piece cranks at leat 180 mm length but if your like 5'9 plus you should seriously consider 185 mm length's. 1 piece cranks should be considered throw aways they bend so easy.

I used to be way into this stuff but i'm not anymore I would also recommend you try out a cruiser ( 24 inch) instead of a 20 inch and if you get a 20 inch at least get an XL frame size (difference in top tub length) etc.

hope that wasn't info over load 👍

anyone remember Hutch's? one my all time fav frames n fork was this 1985 hutch judgement frame I had in chrome geomerty was spot on and it was really strong.

• Like 1

anyone remember Hutch's? one my all time fav frames n fork was this 1985 hutch judgement frame I had in chrome geomerty was spot on and it was really strong.

I had a Redline and a GT and my friend had a Hutch. They were SO badass.:worthy:

I think the Redline's and GTs are just made in China like Huffys anymore. How 'bout Powerlite, Kuwahara, and CW Racing too.👍

I had a Redline and a GT and my friend had a Hutch. They were SO badass.:worthy:

I think the Redline's and GTs are just made in China like Huffys anymore. How 'bout Powerlite, Kuwahara, and CW Racing too.👍

This Redline is real purty though.... http://www.redlinebicycles.com/bmxracing/bikes/flight-pro-xxl.htm

I'm 6'4" so I'd need the XXL frame. I don't need that price though!! $665!! That's more than I paid for my kids TTR90!

This Redline is real purty though.... http://www.redlinebicycles.com/bmxracing/bikes/flight-pro-xxl.htm

I'm 6'4" so I'd need the XXL frame. I don't need that price though!! $665!! That's more than I paid for my kids TTR90!

Dang! Flight cranks and Comp III tires. Deja Vu for sure. They nearly wanted $300 or so back in the mid 80s for a set of flight cranks.

yea well redline flights used to be the S but they are not no more it's more like profiles now. You want something more like an S&M dirt bike do not look up hutch frames on ebay and one of my friends had a yellow kuwahara back then and it was sweet ride. We called it the banana had white tires on it.

She's a cool chick. Used to race mountain bikes with her both locally and nationally.

and she takes the bronze with the men taking silver and bronze...

just happened to turn tv on last night on cbc and lo'behold...perfect timing of bmx racing!

She's a cool chick. Used to race mountain bikes with her both locally and nationally.

It says in today's paper that she pretty much won everything there was to win on MTB's then went back to BMX...true?