Sign in to follow this  

Getting Ready To Shipout

Alrite heres the deal. In april i joined the US Army. im leaving for Ft. Benning Georgia next june. Im first doing combat basic training then im going to airborne school and hopefully ranger school if im lucky and good enough. But i really want to get ready for it before i leave. Ive been running 4 miles every other day and with hopefully be up to 10 by winter but what would be a good routine to get my upper body in good strong shape? I have a regular bench and plenty of weights. I already do lots of pushups and situps. But what would really build my arms chest shoulders ect? Thanks

First of all, congratulations and thank you for your service.

Something that I've recently started doing and have seen TONS of people have success with is kettle bell workouts.

If you saw the movie 300, that's what these guys did to get in shape. The kettle bell is a really amazing all over body workout. It is especially good for chest, tris, back, bis, delts, traps, and abs.

You can get a kettle bell for like $30 and there are instructional videos all over the internet.

Good luck and thanks again for your commitment!

Good luck and thanks for your service.

Running is the basis of the Army, especially the elite units like you are joining.

Get the running up to six miles per day.

Most of the guys I have known in those units are not body building types, but running types.

Good luck... I did my basic/ait at Ft.Benning in the summer of 92 . From there i went to jump school at Ft. Bragg then back to Benning for RIP. Dr.Mark was right on running long distance and dont forget tons of core exercises ie push ups ,pull ups, and up/downs. Concentrate on stamina and strengh. Good luck and God bless!

Congrats and thanks for your service. In addition to that mentioned above doing the major compound movements in the gym - squats, clean & jerks, etc... will benefit you greatly for overall and core strength, coordination and conditioning.

Good luck!

Thank you for your service. I am an Air Force vet and it makes me proud to see what quality people that we have and continue to attract to the armed forces.

God Speed