Sign in to follow this  

2X "smoothed" PCIII map

Hi,

I hope to try this map soon myself, but it will be several days. Attached (I think) is a PCIII map with the following rules:

1. No messing with idle (no changes below 2000 rpm or at 0% throttle).

2. No leaning out anywhere.

3. Keep gas mileage in mind.

4. Greatly "smoothed" version of the Dynojet 001 and 002 maps. (Smoothed /averaged in both the rpm change direction and in the throttle position direction. (This is not without contradictions.:worthy:)

it also matches a smoothed much less thirsty version of wkboarders, within the limits above.

Hmmm, won't upload. 👍

Cheers!

/dh

Maybe it restricts based on filetype.

Nope. I renamed it to .jpg and it looked inside and said it wasn't a valid image file. Off to some help area in the forum. I guess they don't want to allow map files to be uploaded.

Sorry!

It's simple enough to type in and others to recreate:

TP : range of rpms to add 5% fuel (put a "5" in that map box)

-----------------------------------------------------------

0 : -

2 : 2000- 3250

5 : 2000- 3750

10: 2250- 6000

20: 2250-11250

40: 3000-11250

60: 3000-11250

80: 3250-10000

100: 4750- 9250

This should provide a little additional fuel where other maps have indicated it is needed. It should minimize impact on mileage. I hope it smooths out the engine and makes it more responsive. If anyone tries it, I'd like to hear your thoughts on how it performs, expecially relative to the other maps.

cheers!

/dh

Just host it on a file dump site or google file sharing and then give us the link?

I see a zip now.

Dave in michigan has a smoothed version of wkboarders tune also

I see a zip now.

Dave in michigan has a smoothed version of wkboarders tune also

Yes, I looked at it too. Dave's is in between wkb's and DJs.

Unless I have some kind of gas sensor in the pipe, I won't use one like wkb's that puts 20-35% more fuel. I find it strange that Yamaha would program it that lean, even for emission control, and I think it is not so good for the cat if it is running rich, if nothing else. I also think gasoline is an expensive coolant.

That's when I can't see the fuel ratios. It's kinda frustrating not being able to say "13.5" under these conditions, "14.2" under these, etc.

Like I said, this one is very "mild" and intended to smooth things with fuel where the other maps say smoothing is needed, but keeping the % increase down as much as possible. At least I think I can say it is completely "safe", not taking fuel anywhere and only adding 5% when it adds.

The best way to see is to load two (or three, you can have only 1 or 2 active though) maps into the "map compare" window, pull down on the graph tile up at the top until its about twice as big, and click on the column (% throttle) and row (rpm) headers. then it's easy to compare maps.👍

/dh

What mods is this for? I just loaded Wkbrdrs map for my FMF Q4/K&n/Powerbomb install, and haven't test ridden it yet..

What mods is this for? I just loaded Wkbrdrs map for my FMF Q4/K&n/Powerbomb install, and haven't test ridden it yet..

Hi Gregger,

It's not for any mods in particular. It gives a 5% in fuel at most of the rpm/throttle positions that the 001, 002, and wkbrdr maps show extra fuel is wanted. Those maps are pretty consistent about where fuel is needed, but not completely. So the result should be an increase in smoothness and performance at most places. How small/large/satisfying the increase is, i don't know.

FYI, I posted the map I'm using over at SMJ, here:

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showpost.php?p=616828&postcount=5

"Smoothed" just means that I reduced the peaks and valleys in the map -- doesn't necessarilly mean smoother response. I smoothed it out because I'm running FMF instead of Yosh, and I'm speculating that the peaks and valleys may not be exactly applicable to an FMF setup. I also extended the fuel increases into higher rpm's at low throttle, just based on feel when coming off the throttle.

I have NOT measured air-fuel-ratio with this setup, nor run it on a dyno -- use your own judgement.

Some additional info: the maps DJ M432-002 and wkboardr are identical in the following ranges:

10% throttle 6500 rpm and up

20% throttle 6500 rpm and up

40% throttle 5000 rpm and up

60% throttle 5000 rpm and up

80% throttle 5000 rpm and up

The DJ M432-002 map says "stock exhaust stock air filter airbox lid removed" in the notes.

This seems an unlikely coincidence to me. I think the odds of two completely independent dyno tunes giving this result is remote.

I imagine that the guys who tuned wkboarder's probably started with the 002 map and made adjustments from there. It doesn't surprize me that they didn't change the low throttle / higher rpm settings, but the 80% sure does... Maybe they were focused on WOT tuning...?

It would certainly be nice to see another dyno-tuned map with full exh + KN + door off... I haven't seen any though.

I imagine that the guys who tuned wkboarder's probably started with the 002 map and made adjustments from there. It doesn't surprize me that they didn't change the low throttle / higher rpm settings, but the 80% sure does... Maybe they were focused on WOT tuning...?

It would certainly be nice to see another dyno-tuned map with full exh + KN + door off... I haven't seen any though.

Partly focused at 100%. But there are large fuel increases at low rpms in all those same rpm ranges. Very strange.

Yeah, if we had a dozen separate dynos it would help hugely.

What do you think about suggesting to people that anyone with a PCIII getting it dynoed, go in with the 0 map loaded?

Cheers/dh

Meh, I don't think it would make a difference starting from zeros.

They only add all that fuel where the bike is fully loaded -- either under acceleration or steady-state against the wind at higher speeds.

The only time the bike will ever see high rpm at low throttle is when you back off from high throttle / high rpms. AFAIK, the tuners know it will go way lean in this condition, and they don't care. You're slowing down then, you're not looking for any power.

The 80% throttle is a different story though. I'd expect that the full pipe etc would flow more at those upper levels under load, and need more fuel there.

Even seeing just one more dyno-tuned map would be a nice reality check. I may still pick up a wide-band AFR meter one of these days and see for myself how this map is working.