Sign in to follow this  

I can NOT do the whoops

the whoops at my local track are killing me (or trying too) i just cant do them, i use good form and nothing works so it must be my suspension.

i enter them with as much speed as i can, i lean back and when i hit them my rear end just want to rise untill i get bucked off, i cant seem to keep the rear end planted, it just bounces around randomly. i crashed in them saturday pretty hard, i brused my kidney, and bent my bars so i am not doing them again untill i try something with the suspention.

I have not set my sag yet, is this a hard time consuming thing to do?, is the manual good to go buy when i do finally decide to do this? how much will this help do you think, should i let of the compression to or not

and the forks, i have no idea what to do with them. most of the problem is in the rear shock, i think, but if you think something should be done with the forks let me know:thumbsup:

thanks alot of the help:worthy:

You dont necessarily wanna go into the whoops as fast as possible. Start out slower then work up. When you go into the whoops also shift up a gear so you arent bouncing off the rev-limiter. Keep a steady throttle thoughout.

i do shift up a gear, the bike is in the perfect RPM range, i tryed slow and well.... i go slow, while everyone eles just blows buy, its gotta be the suspension...

have you tried them on a different bike that has properly set suspension ??

it could possibly be rider error ......................... Im just saying 👍

Sag is easy to set. Very easy. It will also tell you if your springs are too heavy or light. It needs to be done if you want to get faster. Furthermore, practicing at a pace you can ahndle the whoops will make you faster. Not hammering through them out of control 100 times and getting frustrated and worked so hard you can't control anything.

It's like beating you head against a wall. Get you sag set, go from there. Find out if you've got the right springs and then take it slow, building up your pace. You'll get it man:thumbsup:

• Like 1

A few things that will help for suspension.

How many hours on the fluid in the shock/forks?

Do you have the correct spring rates?

Correct sag?

Clicker settings?

Re grease linkage - keep things working smoothly, and replace any dry bearings.

Here is what I run with the correct springs for me.

Shock:

High speed comp damp - 3 turns

low speed comp - 16

Rebound 10

Sag - 108mm

Forks:

Comp 14

Reb 9

Flush with clamps for height on my 08 b/c of 22mm offset. Older bikes with the 24mm offset, run them 5 mm up in the clamps or so.

--- Fresh fluids really do help make things work plush for you specially if you have a tonne of hours on the fluids in there right now.

Are you talking about specific whoops at your local track or just whoops in general. I used to get pretty beat up on whoops before I got my WR. Once I had my suspension fitted to my fat @ss, I felt like I gained 5 years of experience over night. In fact now I ride whoops in the dez faster than all my buddies

First and foremost, for me anyways... Is you must set the sag and verify that the clickers are set to the stock settings per your manual / manufacturers specs. This is called setting a bench mark, a starting point to measure everything from. As for it being a hard process... I don't think it is... What is the option??? keep on crashing?? NO!!.. It might take you and a buddy an hour at the most to set it properly!! So just do it!! and get closer to enjoying riding the whoops!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

A few things that will help for suspension.

How many hours on the fluid in the shock/forks? (60-90houres)

Do you have the correct spring rates? dont know, i am 150 w/gear

Correct sag? highly doubt it

Clicker settings? stock, i havent messed with them

Re grease linkage - keep things working smoothly, and replace any dry bearings. thats all good, greased them not to long ago

Here is what I run with the correct springs for me.

Shock:

High speed comp damp - 3 turns

low speed comp - 16

Rebound 10

Sag - 108mm

Forks:

Comp 14

Reb 9

Flush with clamps for height on my 08 b/c of 22mm offset. Older bikes with the 24mm offset, run them 5 mm up in the clamps or so.

--- Fresh fluids really do help make things work plush for you specially if you have a tonne of hours on the fluids in there right now.

do you know the klicker settings on a new 06 that havent been touched (stock settings)

and if the sag is wrong to i adjust the spring, i would guess it is too tight because the rear of the bike wants to rise right?👍

Once you set your sag, your supposed to have somewhere around an inch of static sag (bike only). If you don't have any static sag at all your spring is to light for your weight. I am kind of new to messing with suspension settings and I recently had my suspension set up for my weight. The bike felt like it was bucking to much so I increased my rebound damping one click. It helped alot. I need to find more time to tweak around with it so I can get it right.

• Like 1

you dont want the shock rebound fast like on hardpack mx, this will mean it will pitch the bike forward and make you crash, you want the rear stiffer and slower than for normal mx, with the forks stiffer but the rebound more normal.If its soft the bike will start to ossilate forwards and back and the damping will not be able to control this action and you will crash.

• Like 1

150 lbs with gear... So gear adds about 20 lbs or so... That would mean you are around 130 with out???

That would mean that the stock springs are way to stiff for you. I am 130 w/out gear and am at 0.42 kg/mm forks and 4.8 kg/mm shock springs. I would try the clicker and sag settings that I have posted, they should work good.

With 60-90 hrs on the suspension fluid, you would benefit from putting in fresh stuff.

So...

1) Correct spring rates in forks/shock

2) Fresh fluids - kinda goes along with #1

3) Use the clicker settings and sag I posted

4) the bike should work excellent 👍

If you do the above, I bet the bike will work a lot better for you. --- If you have a few more dollars to spend on springs, I would get the Factory Connection high speed compression dampening spring mod for the shock ($12) and some 1.61 kg pressure springs for the forks (around $35). They will also help out.

--- And technique when you head into them can also help.

I usually go into them in 3rd gear, and build up speed as I head through. With my suspension the way it is now I can enter them pretty fast (could go faster, gotta get there though)... I probably will hit the limiter while going through in 3rd depending on the whoops (if it kicks you up a bit/spaces in between, etc.). --- If you go through in 2nd I find that I am just right on the limiter though the whole set of whoops, doesn't really help you.

Once you have the suspension better than what you now have there are some techniques that will help. Don't get your butt too far back. The rear of the seat will bang your butt! Stay centered in the attack position. Head roughly above the bars. Elbows up and standing on the BALLS of your feet. Squeeze the bike with your knees as hard as you can! This will keep the bike stable and pull it out of any swapping you may encounter. Trust me,,,,, it WORKS !!!!!

• Like 1

i may be more than 150 with gear but i am going to try honda 250r riders clickers settings any way (i may be 160 with full gear) i will weigh my slef

so should i just turn the screw (clicker) counterclock wise untill it stops then count the clicks, its that how it works, sorrey i have never delt with any of this before.

THANKS everyone, i will take all of this into consideration!

you turn it all the way clockwise till it seats(dont force) then count the clicks out.

you turn it all the way clockwise till it seats(dont force) then count the clicks out.

👍

Once you have the suspension better than what you now have there are some techniques that will help. Don't get your butt too far back. The rear of the seat will bang your butt! Stay centered in the attack position. Head roughly above the bars. Elbows up and standing on the BALLS of your feet. Squeeze the bike with your knees as hard as you can! This will keep the bike stable and pull it out of any swapping you may encounter. Trust me,,,,, it WORKS !!!!!

Good post! Here is a man that knows how to ride whoops IMO. I just don't go with the butt over the back technique. Use the throttle to keep the front light.

cant wait to try out these new settings. the front end was so heavy and the rear end was light, the opposite of what you want lol

gotta wait a little bit though, i am still kinda soar from the crash.

honda 250f rider, say i weigh 160 with full gear, what should i do different on the clicker settings, or is that something i just have to figure out, i think i am going to give my buddey your settings, he is the same size as you and he has probs in the whoops too.

the whoops at my local track are killing me (or trying too) i just cant do them, i use good form and nothing works so it must be my suspension.

i enter them with as much speed as i can, i lean back and when i hit them my rear end just want to rise untill i get bucked off, i cant seem to keep the rear end planted, it just bounces around randomly. i crashed in them saturday pretty hard, i brused my kidney, and bent my bars so i am not doing them again untill i try something with the suspention.

I have not set my sag yet, is this a hard time consuming thing to do?, is the manual good to go buy when i do finally decide to do this? how much will this help do you think, should i let of the compression to or not

and the forks, i have no idea what to do with them. most of the problem is in the rear shock, i think, but if you think something should be done with the forks let me know:thumbsup:

thanks alot of the help:worthy:

If you have not set your sag you should not be riding your bike. It is the most basic setup requirement and ranks right up there with making sure you have gas, clean oil, the correct air pressure in your tires, a clean air filter... take a few minutes to setup your bike and it will make a huge difference in your riding experience.