Sign in to follow this  

Stripped oil check bolt, PLS advise

Hey guys, I just pulled out the oil check bolt on my 08 CRF and the threads closest to the head were starting to spread a bit causing the threads inside the hole to strip. I managed to clean it out so it threads in again with a new bolt but here is what I do not get.... it was only the second time taking out the bolt and when I tightened it last, I used a torque wrench to 7 FT pounds (manual said to use 9 FT pounds) there is no way this was to tight for that bolt??? (torque wrench was calibrated 2 weeks ago and was bang on) Could this have been a fault in the bolt or something because like I said I dont think I over tighten this bolt. (unless 7 FT pounds is to tight???) Has anyone else had this or seen this??

Thanks for any advice guys!!!

Did it feel like it was overtightened when you removed it the first time??? What sort of condition was the Crush Washer in???

That happens a lot on bikes. I never use them on my bikes. I just drain the oil and replace with the correct amount.

crush washer was ok, maybe that had something to do with throwing off the torque..... Thanks for the replies, I will hand tighten these small bolts now!!

later