Sign in to follow this  

Project: XR400EX

I was wondering if I could stick my 400EX motor inside of a XR400 frame? Has anyone done this? Is it possible?

I tried to shoe horn the center cases from a 2005 TRX400EX into the XR4 frame.

The swingarm engine mount is where the problem came in, the EX cases were just a CH to wide.

Now you might be able to remove the steel incerts off the rear motor mount on the cases, I did not try this but a simple measurement would solve the question.

Plus the EX transmission gears are different from the XR and you would loose the kick starter.

I know someone here will know the difference between gear ratio the two.

Your best bet is to split the cases and do a crank swap.

My EX E-Start conversion has been rock solid and I had not had to use the kick starter once since the build, and buy far the best money spent on this ride..

PM me if you have any questions

SIRR1

I tried to shoe horn the center cases from a 2005 TRX400EX into the XR4 frame.

The swingarm engine mount is where the problem came in, the EX cases were just a CH to wide.

Now you might be able to remove the steel incerts off the rear motor mount on the cases, I did not try this but a simple measurement would solve the question.

Plus the EX transmission gears are different from the XR and you would loose the kick starter.

I know someone here will know the difference between gear ratio the two.

Your best bet is to split the cases and do a crank swap.

My EX E-Start conversion has been rock solid and I had not had to use the kick starter once since the build, and buy far the best money spent on this ride..

PM me if you have any questions

SIRR1

I don't have the frame.. I wanted to ask before I bought one.. so it wouldn't fit inthere?

It was very close, I never forced the case in the swingarm.

Measure the cases where the swingarm mounts to the motor and I will measure the swingarm tonite.

I will post the measurement so you don't have to guess.

SIRR1

It was very close, I never forced the case in the swingarm.

Measure the cases where the swingarm mounts to the motor and I will measure the swingarm tonite.

I will post the measurement so you don't have to guess.

SIRR1

Thanks! Do you mean the peice that the pivot bolt goes into? or on the top of the engine? and will the headers just bolt up? will the engine just plop in there? Where would I put my oil rezzy? cooler?

Sorry, I am just very courious... I would love to have a 400 trails bike, I have a 125 smoker already..