Sign in to follow this  

Newer rider looking for bigger bike wondering if the 250x is the one for me

I have been riding for approximately a year but have been stuck riding a 150f due to the fact it is all i could afford while going to school (got a good deal off a friend when he decided to upgrade to an rm-z 250 or w/e) now i have become more then comfortable on my 150 and have gotten to the point where i am being held back by it such as not being able to make it up some of the really big hills we ride without my bike dieing. I have ridden his bike once and have to be honest i was a little uncomfortable with the amount of power that thing can produce. So I am looking for something that can still keep up on the trails but without having so much power I end up killing myself. So does this bike have a manageable amount of power for someone with my experience and size (6 ft 2 180 pounds) and will it still be able to keep up with my friends on 250 mx bikes and racing/offroad quads (raptors, banshees, king quads, grizzlies)

The 250x is a good bike, but its kinda slow. It will be alot faster then your 150 though. The 250x is like the perfect trail bike, lots of low end, smooth power band and plush suspension. You can ride it on a mx track but you wont be able to keep up with the R's. The R is kind of the opposite, lots of top end, medium to harsh power band, and not so trail friendly suspension. If you are good, you can trail ride it. But it will be kind of hard, even with the gearing too. But it all depends if your going to trail ride or mx. for trails get the 250x, for mx get the 250r. Also if you ride in a neiborhood here sound levels matter, you might want to stick with the x.

I love my X. I threw on the stock exhaust setup from the 250R with a PMB endcap for the woods, did the air box mod, JD Jet kit. The bike rips as is right now but I am also throwing in a R cam and doing the pink wire mod in the near future. With all that I think you get a nice balance between a trail and MX bike. I set my clickers on the harder side so I can do some MX with it and I have. You can't go wrong with either bike. I ride mostly trails so making the X a little more track friendly was the way to go for me.

As far as power wise you are going to be blown away jumping from the 150F to the 250 R/X. The power is so snappy on the 250 MX bikes. I ride tight trails mostly and the 450 would have been too much. That being said if your riding sand dunes or wide open areas get a 450.

Awesome this sounds like the bike for me, I pretty much entirely ride trails never really been all that drawn to MX racing I enjoy watching it but I could never see myself actually doing it.

Another question is this a kick start or electric start because I absolutely despise the ele start on my 150f.

Thanks for your help

Awesome this sounds like the bike for me, I pretty much entirely ride trails never really been all that drawn to MX racing I enjoy watching it but I could never see myself actually doing it.

Another question is this a kick start or electric start because I absolutely despise the ele start on my 150f.

Thanks for your help

The 250x has both electric and kick start. Yeah, if your are going to be doing just trail riding, the the 250x.

I have been riding for approximately a year but have been stuck riding a 150f due to the fact it is all i could afford while going to school (got a good deal off a friend when he decided to upgrade to an rm-z 250 or w/e) now i have become more then comfortable on my 150 and have gotten to the point where i am being held back by it such as not being able to make it up some of the really big hills we ride without my bike dieing. I have ridden his bike once and have to be honest i was a little uncomfortable with the amount of power that thing can produce. So I am looking for something that can still keep up on the trails but without having so much power I end up killing myself. So does this bike have a manageable amount of power for someone with my experience and size (6 ft 2 180 pounds) and will it still be able to keep up with my friends on 250 mx bikes and racing/offroad quads (raptors, banshees, king quads, grizzlies)

Since you most trail ride the 250x will be perfect. The power is very controlable and the bike has lot of low end. On the track 250x won't be able to keep up with a motocross bike. In the wood though the 250x has no problem keeping up and even passing. I love the e-start. What didn't you like it on your 150?

I just have had nothing but problems with it such as it just not working sometimes, the button getting muddy and getting stuck pressed in which seems to drain the battery like crazy. Also the 150f doesn't have a kick start so you have to jump start it if the elec start doesn't wanna work which can be a ton of fun when you are in the middle of the forest or in a big muskeg field.

When it works i love it but a backup kick start would be a welcome addition to my 150f

for what your looking for it seems perfect. Just be sure to keep up on the oil and air filter, your going to have to do a lot more maintenance compared to you 150 or youll pay, big time

ya I already do more maintenance than necessary I actually enjoy working on bikes, cars or whatever is laying around. I am still fairly new to dirt bikes or motorcycles in general and all I hear about is valve problems, how hard is it to lower the frequency of these problems? Does it just require frequent maintenance? Can i do it myself or is it something I am gunna be paying a mechanic a ton of money to do? Also as far as the mechanics of one of these bikes is it much different from what I have been seeing on my 150f other than the fact its just a lot bigger or are there alot of new components on these bigger bikes that I am gunna have to be worrying about?