Sign in to follow this  

Newbie & problems

Greeting all-

Nor Cal newbie here who after a 30 yr hiatus is back in the dirt on an '02. Besides the ego bruises of being slower than the average kid on an xr100, my first impression of my "new" used bike was:

1. Very loud mechanical noise (valve clatter?)

2. Stalling. Particularly after warm in low gear or going down hill w/ rear braking

3. Rear brake lock up. Too sensitive.

4. Existing shift lever is too short.

I know most of the answers are here for the searching, so if you already know the thread that answers any of my problems (crf ones that is) please let me know. Also, if anyone knows of a good northern cal / San Jose area mechanic please also let me know.

The first of its kind.. the 2002 was such an awesome bike when it first came out, and its prob still too much bike for most of us these days anyway...

Crf's in general have loud running mechanical noise located around the head area at idle... Id have the valves checked ( or even do it yourself ) your owners manual will have everything you need in it!

The stalling problem is more often then not the style of bike it is.. They have a light flywheel and tend to stall easier then other enduro style bikes.. But thats just MHO..

The shift lever can be replace with a larger aftermarket unit.. Like a hammerhead gear lever customised to your foot size...

Hope I could help....

Check to see if it still has the automatic cam chain adjuster. They go bad and destroy your motor 👍 Check your cam chain tension and valves. I replaced my autotensioner with a manual one from TT. BTW I love my 02, having come back after around 30 yrs off. Good luck.

Since you say you have trouble with stalling and the rear brake is sensitive (which they are good brakes) I would turn up the idle just a hair. I tend to run my idle just slightly higher than normal that way when I lay it down it doesnt stall out. And it helps when going into those real tight corners (I ride mx primarily) if you dont have the clutch in you will stall. Its a little bit of a learning curve to figure out but youll get it.

And when I say slightly higher than stock I mean just a little more, you dont want the motor to be way up in the rrr's at idle.

Greeting all-

Nor Cal newbie here who after a 30 yr hiatus is back in the dirt on an '02. Besides the ego bruises of being slower than the average kid on an xr100, my first impression of my "new" used bike was:

1. Very loud mechanical noise (valve clatter?)

2. Stalling. Particularly after warm in low gear or going down hill w/ rear braking

3. Rear brake lock up. Too sensitive.

4. Existing shift lever is too short.

I know most of the answers are here for the searching, so if you already know the thread that answers any of my problems (crf ones that is) please let me know. Also, if anyone knows of a good northern cal / San Jose area mechanic please also let me know.

1. If you're getting back into riding after 30 yeas, and this is your 1st modern 4 stroke, the engine noises you're hearing are probably normal. My first modern 4 stroke was an '02 CRF450, then engine sounded like it was going to explode at any second. I was used to the sound of a 2 stroke engine. Another thing is that is could be the drive chain making a clacking noise. Make sure you keep the chain at about 1 1/4" of slack.

2. Turn up the idle and adjust the clutch cable so you only have about 1/8" of slack in the cable when the bike is cold. Most people I know have a stalling problem on modern 4 strokes when coming off of 2 strokes or getting back into riding.

3. Both of my CRFs have sensitive rear brakes. Just gotta get used to it.

4. The '02 has the shortest shift lever out of all model years of the CRF. If you buy a shift lever from a newer model year, it will be about 10mm longer. Or you can get are more expensive aftermarket one from: http://www.hammerheaddesignsinc.com/order-honda-crf450.html

Regarding the rear brake sensativity....what I did on my 02 CRF450R was to replace the stock return spring with a heavier spring! I did it because I had a hard time even feeling the rear brake lever. I wear SIDI SRS Crossfire boots and they have a pretty stiff sole. Now I can actually feel the rear brake lever!

Tom

Man, I feel your pain. I also am trying to get a grip on my 2004 CRF450R. My last bike was an 85 YZ 250 and Ricky Johnson and Jeff Ward was the man..lol.. Yup, stalled all over the place, yup, disk brakes will toss ya over the bars. Noticed the rattleing, turned out to be the chain misadjusted. Anyway, setting up my bike for my now smooth big 250 pound hind end (was 195 when I had the YZ) I have just recieved my race tech fork and shock springs after talking to the RaceTech tech and discribeing what I am setting up for (woods riding/possible local racing)I also recieved my 13 oz Steahly flywheel. This is a great forum for tips. Mind you, I didnt just order this stuff blind. I have already busted my arse trying to get a handle on this beast and a 85 YZ 250 it aint..lol. Now, if I could just find some MX gear in Men sizes...........