Sign in to follow this  

Te450 clutch problems Grrrrr

Hi Guys

I hope you can assist.

I have searched and gone through all old posts but cannot seem to find a solution, the threads seem to end up talking about recluse clutches etc,,,,

I have a TE450 06 with 120 hours on it. (First rebuild was at 72 hours) I lost oil pressure!!

It is ridden hard and used for “high impact” enduro’s, I am a bit heavy on the clutch as the loops we ride hear usually involve a lot of rock river beds or sic climbs.

I change oil every 4-5 hours and filter and oil every 8-10 hours, I use Belray 20/50 thumper oil.

Here is my problem:

After riding for about 2 hours of extreme stuff my clutch fades! (Nothing behind the lever)

If I tickle/feather it quickly it will come back for a short period then go again. If the bike is parked for 10 minutes after fading the clutch will come back by itself???

I have no slipping or leaks any where, It does not use any fluid!

If I ride like a normal person (Std trail stuff) The clutch is fine!

I have replaced all fluid (Mineral oil) and bled system on several occasions, same problem!

I sent it to my local KTM dealer (No Husky agent here) to drain/fill and bleed the entire system again as I thought maybe I had stuffed up! Collected it on Saturday and raced Sunday.

I had to pull out “DNF” because the clutch failed again, informed the time keeper of my retirement and problem, he walks over and feels my clutch, No Problem!

I have had to retire twice this year because of this issue..

It took me 3 hours to do 12km’s with out a clutch and I don’t know how many times I dumped my “Beast” in the rocks and rivers! It’s no joke trying to hold on to a 450 in a 500m rock river bed with no clutch!

Nb! No money for a recluse clutch, The importer here is out of his mind with prices and import duties are ridiculous.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I would like to avoid going over to the Orange army “KTM 300” 👍

I’m the only Husky rider in my province! EP & Border.

Please help!:worthy:

Sounds like the slave cylinder on the clutch. It depends on a fairly fragile o-ring inside the slave, which is tucked in behind your case guard in front of the front sprocket. My bike did this too, but about 100 miles from pavement. Replaced the entire slave cylinder, fixed the problem.

See here:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416911&highlight=clutch+slave

I believe uptite george has found an upgrade to the o-ring.

Also, when you bleed your clutch, it is very easy to get bubbles sucked down inside the master where they won't come out. If this has happened you need to prime the slave cylinder.

Good luck!

I have had this problem a few times. If you get a ktm Oring as husky does not list it as a single part it should fix the problem. I have the KTM part # at work and will let you know when i can. Also magura sell the oring seperate if you have an importer. Good luck.

I have had this problem a few times. If you get a ktm Oring as husky does not list it as a single part it should fix the problem. I have the KTM part # at work and will let you know when i can. Also magura sell the oring seperate if you have an importer. Good luck.

Thanks guys! I will send it in to KTM and have the part/o-ring replaced.

If you have the part no it would help a great deal. Thanks very much!

This is why I love TT abd its members!

i to have had this problem on my 04 te 300 since changing back from auto clutch have put ktm o ring in but now seam to have a clutch drag problem not releasing have to start in neutral and blip throttle to brake clutch on tight single line tracks pain in back side may put auto back