Sign in to follow this  

Rock hard seat!

I just bought an '01 650. The seat is rock hard. I need a seat cover as well, small rip, does someone make a padded seat cover?

I softened my foam by turning it upside down and drilling about 50 or so holes in it, being careful not to go all the way thru. Do this right in the area you'll be sitting. You can also widen it a little by taking a belt sander and removing the top half inch or so of foam since it tapers narrower toward the top. You'll find little tips like this if you do a Google search of the net; a guy on Advrider has put a lawnmower seat on his bike.

Sarah

Also check out Alaska Leather. I used one of their covers on my stocker until I could save up for a Corbin and it worked real nice. Sometimes I even throw it on the Corbin for even more comfort.

Your rear-end will get used to the seat if you give it a chance, as long as you ride it regularly. I bought my 06 DR650 w/stock seat a few weeks ago and by @ss was sore the first 30 mile ride, but now a few weeks later it doesn't even bother me. I'll save my $300 and put the money elsewhere...

Your rear-end will get used to the seat if you give it a chance, as long as you ride it regularly. I bought my 06 DR650 w/stock seat a few weeks ago and by @ss was sore the first 30 mile ride, but now a few weeks later it doesn't even bother me. I'll save my $300 and put the money elsewhere...

You must either not ride for long periods at once or you have no nerve endings in your a$%. I did a 300 mile day on my stock seat and was sore for the next few days. I bought a Corbin and am happy now. I found that the seat foam is not much different on the Corbin just wider. And it makes for a happy bum!

THe Walmart pad is a good step up and for less than $20 can help you get through for a while.

I softened my foam by turning it upside down and drilling about 50 or so holes in it, being careful not to go all the way thru. Do this right in the area you'll be sitting. You can also widen it a little by taking a belt sander and removing the top half inch or so of foam since it tapers narrower toward the top. You'll find little tips like this if you do a Google search of the net; a guy on Advrider has put a lawnmower seat on his bike.

Sarah

I took Sarah's advice and drilled the holes when I first got the DR650 several months ago. It's simple, it's free and it defiantly improved things to the point I could go a couple hours with out much trouble. Although when I went 5 hours one day I thought I was going to 👍 die. You know those rides when you should just get off the bike and walk around for a while but you’re too close to home to stop… I'll be taking my seat to a local upholsterer that I have heard nothing but good things about as soon as the weather turns ugly up here in Idaho.

You must either not ride for long periods at once or you have no nerve endings in your a$%. I did a 300 mile day on my stock seat and was sore for the next few days. I bought a Corbin and am happy now. I found that the seat foam is not much different on the Corbin just wider. And it makes for a happy bum!

THe Walmart pad is a good step up and for less than $20 can help you get through for a while.

I looked all over both Walmarts sporting goods and automotive sections for the ATV pad. The only thing our Super Wallyworlds sell are ATV tires. No covers, nothing. So, I am curious where at in Walmart you found it, and what it is exactly. 👍

/\ I bought one of those ATV pads at my local Walmart too, before I got the Alaska Leather pad. I found it near the auto accessories (gloves, etc.).

The Wal Mart pad is a good fix, everyone always wants to know where I got it and they never believe me when I tell them. I am investigating the options but this makes it easier to wait till I find what I want.

My friend on a DRZ400s wears bicycle shorts with a padded crotch under his riding pants. He swears by them.

I looked all over both Walmarts sporting goods and automotive sections for the ATV pad. The only thing our Super Wallyworlds sell are ATV tires. No covers, nothing. So, I am curious where at in Walmart you found it, and what it is exactly. 👍

My Walmart has a section back where the hunting and fishing things are just for ATVs.

Part of it may be that I used to road bike race (bicycle) and would ride 25-40miles per day for a few years and if you can get used to riding around on that hard bike seat, the DR650 seat is a piece of cake. I've only had my DR for a few weeks and the longest ride w/o stopping has been 1 hr so I haven't done anything real extreme yet.

The problem with the stock seat is not how hard or soft it is or even how wide it is. The problem is pressure distribution across the butt and the monolithic construction of the seat. There is too much pressure on the hips which aggravates the femoral nerves. A wider mono slab would probably make the situation worse. The answer is in changing the pressure distribution. ie get the weight of the hips and move it to the groin area. Make the centre of the seat support more of your body weight and the edges less. To that end it is worth making the seat harder still (HD Urethane) in the centre and softening up the edges...

Sarah's tip is a good one but be careful about where the holes are drilled otherwise the seat can end up as bad (or worse!) as before... It'll be softer but no less painful.

The guys who design and build seats for a living usually know this... It is the consumer who demands the armchair.

Cheers

Also check out Alaska Leather. I used one of their covers on my stocker until I could save up for a Corbin and it worked real nice. Sometimes I even throw it on the Corbin for even more comfort.

I second the Alaska Leather. It's not a night and day improvement, but certainly enough better that I am holding off on more expensive options.

Nick

I just did four 8-hour days on a stock seat which I had widened by a local upholsterer. Also bicycle shorts and an Alaska Leather. By the end of each day, the butt-burn was bad. The thing I noticed, though, was that the forward slope of the seat was the main culprit. There certainly is a lot to learn about seat construction. I may give it another go with the local, or buy aftermarket this winter.

👍

Took off my P.O.S Corbin, put the stock seat back on, put on a sheep skin, rode to El Salvador, around 5000 miles round trip . 8 plus hrs in the saddle. No problem.

My DR seat is hard; it hurts my rear, but there's no butt burn. I can move around and shift from side to side and tolerate a hard seat. My XT seat is soft and cushy in comparison, but in just 30 minutes or so I can feel the beginnings of butt burn, and I haven't found a way to escape it. I'll take a hard seat any day.

Sarah

Maybe that's the problem. The seat I had rebuilt is wide enough, but possibly I just need it re-done with a firmer foam.