Sign in to follow this  

Maxxis desert IT... what size???? (yz250)

After All The Good Things Ive Heard About The Maxxis Desert It, Im Gonna Give Them A Chance On My '01 Yz250. Just Trying To Decide Whether To Run The 110, Or The 120? Im After The Best Cornering Grip, On Flat Dry Hardpack. I Rarely Do Mx, Just Trails, Freeride.

Thanks Guys!

What did you not like about it? What conditions do you ride in? What suggestions do you have?

I know stock is 110... just thought going to a 120 might provide more stability on hard flat turns.

I usually ride a Metzeler MC6, really long lasting

and great overall. Even the hardpack tire gets

great traction in the soft stuff. I found the IT to

be very loose in everything with the exception of

pan hard dirt. In other words it liked dirt as hard

as concrete. Maybe you will like it then but I hate

the thing. I have a weekend in the desert and a

hard days ride on it and it appears to be well through

the halfway point of tire life. Look around, if you bust

your own as I do I get the MC6 for under 60 bucks.

I also like the other Euro brands too.

I run a desert IT 110/90 on the rear AND a desert IT 80/100 on the front of my yz. I ride all technical new england single track, and I love them!!! I have never felt that I shouldv'e gone with a 120. The 110 is fine! I liked the price of the maxxis and decided to give them a shot- so far so good! I have about 20 hours on them.

Check out this link-

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=2754

I tried a Maxxix IT 120 and it was too big. Went back to a 110, but also happened to switch to the Metzeler MC6 front and rear.

• Like 1

Well i use Maxxis Derset IT and thay do not last long for me and the traction is ok at best. I have tryed Metzeler, Dunlop, Michalen, Maxxis, Bridgstone and i dont get great traction with any of them. I ride a 06 yz250 2T. So i tryed Maxxis M6001 its there original intermediate terrain tire. It has a nice tread padern and is directional. I only have 1 day of riding on it but so far it has the best traction of any tire i ever used. I us to love the Derset IT front tire but the last one i got stinks for ome reason. It feels like im riding on ice all the time. I will let you know how it does when i get more rides on it. But from a new IT and a new M6001 the M6001 had better traction. Put it this way. My bike NEVER squated in the rear on hard excelaration comming out of a turn before and with this tire it did.

Here is a link to the tire

http://www.maxxis.com/MotorcycleATV/Off-road/M6001-Intermediate-Terrain.aspx

BTW i run a 110/90/19. 120 is 2 big

I tried a Maxxix IT 120 and it was too big.

me too!

I tried it on my 01 yz250 and if it ever wears out I will go back to 110

Ive run 110s and 120s with great results.. Excellent wear without losing too much traction over time.. As far as size, I like the 120 personally, my YZ pulls the bigger tire without issue, and I like the added footprint :worthy:

Edit: I notice a lot of neg feedback on the Maxxis IT? 👍 I havent run anything but the IT for several rears and love them.. The only tire I liked better was the Dun 752 which is discontinued.. But, I havent tried the Dun 952 yet which is very similar, because I run Maxxis IT :busted:

Thanks for all the input guys! I think I'm gonna just stick with dunlop, as I have used them in the past with great results. I just thought I might give another brand a try, but there are so many conflicting opinions, I'll just stick to what I KNOW works.

Thanks all.

I run a desert IT 110/90 on the rear AND a desert IT 80/100 on the front of my yz. I ride all technical new england single track, and I love them!!! I have never felt that I shouldv'e gone with a 120. The 110 is fine! I liked the price of the maxxis and decided to give them a shot- so far so good! I have about 20 hours on them.

Check out this link-

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=2754

Ive run 110s and 120s with great results.. Excellent wear without losing too much traction over time.. As far as size, I like the 120 personally, my YZ pulls the bigger tire without issue, and I like the added footprint :worthy:

Edit: I notice a lot of neg feedback on the Maxxis IT? 👍 I havent run anything but the IT for several rears and love them.. The only tire I liked better was the Dun 752 which is discontinued.. But, I havent tried the Dun 952 yet which is very similar, because I run Maxxis IT :busted:

I post a link earlier. This was the reason I chose the cheaper Desert IT's! I am thinking of running nothing but maxxis in the future- So far they are great, and I love the way the maxxis logo looks in yellow on the sidewall.

THe above link show how they did 700+ miles on Desert ITs with xr650's.

What did you not like about it? What conditions do you ride in? What suggestions do you have?

I know stock is 110... just thought going to a 120 might provide more stability on hard flat turns.

They are tough and durable. But they don't stick anywhere near as well as the Dunlop 952's. I also have my last Desert IT on my bike.

I currently have the bridgestone 404 on my spare wheel and I am waiting to give it a try.

I put on the Maxxis IT's for the first time last season. I ride primarily on the AZ/CA border around lake havasu, so a good mix of sand washes, hard pack, rocks etc. the Maxxis are certaintly outlasting the Dunlops I used to run. I actually don't need a new rear to start the season this year. So 1 more vote for Maxxis here.