Sign in to follow this  

Drz400s 2003

I need to replace to whole of the exhaust. Any suggestions as to which one I should go for. Hopefully not mega expensive (based in the UK so everything is expensive here)

Would be good if a little lighter than the stock model.

Thanks in advance

SNS

I agree they are great exhausts, but here in the UK it will cost around £520, which I guess is around $1000 in the US. Quite expensive....

Decided to go for the DEP exhaust. Looks reasonable...any one know if there are any problems before i place an order? Thanks in advance...

I am brand new to this site and also have an exhaust question. I have a 2003 drz400s I got a good deal (I thought) on a full system big gun exhaust and I am pretty sure it was off of an e model but seemed to work fine on mine except for one mounting hole. It is lighter and louder than stock but I did not notice much of a power increase. But, I also did not rejet either. What is the recomended method to rejet, a stage 1 kit like on ebay or just messing with the needle position? Or is this just a cheap pipe and I would be better of with a yosh or something else?

Thanks in advance for all the advice!!!!

Hi Bradley. The Big Guns are known to be pretty loud. You can rejet your bike & do the 3x3 mod., and you'll see a nice gain in throttle response & power. Get the James Dean jet kit, part #JDS005, and the Kientech fuel screw for the Mikuni carb. Both are available from the ThumperTalk Store via the green button at the upper right hand corner of your screen.

Jet Kit # JDS005 from this page:

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/product_p/int_jdjetting_jetkit.htm

Kientech extended fuel screw for the Mikuni:

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/product_p/int_kientech_drzsfms.htm

The JD kit has everything you need to rejet your carb., including replacement allen head float bowl screws. Remove the oem jis phillips head float bowl screws by breaking them loose w/ a small pair of channel locks gripped tightly on the shoulder of the bolts, then just extract them w/ a screwdriver after you get them popped loose. Otherwise, you'll spend some time buggering the phillips slot and getting cranky in general. Or you can use an impact driver. I find the former method very effective.There are several tutorials here on TT, including ones w/ photos, about how to rejet your carb. It's not too bad. The worst part is getting the carb. off and back on the bike. It's a bit of a tight squeeze. I find removing the bolts holding the rectifier from the frame (right above the c/s sprocket) and laying aside (no need to unplug it) gives you sufficient room to remove and reinstall the carburetor.

The extended fuel screw allows you to fine tune the pilot circuit w/ the carb. on the bike.

The 3x3 is a free mod. Simply a 3" by 3" opening cut into the top of your airbox. You can take a 3" putty knife heated w/ a propane torch and shove it through the top of your airbox 4 times forming a square, or use a utility knife and straight edge to score it repeatedly until you get it cut out. Just make it neat and exactly 3"x3".

You're shooting for something like this:

3x3.jpg

Hope that helps, and welcome to TT. 👍

I agree they are great exhausts, but here in the UK it will cost around £520, which I guess is around $1000 in the US. Quite expensive....

Just get it off ebay and pay a lil extra for shipping