Sign in to follow this  

why 2 pds shocks

I always wondered why WP made two types of pds shocks?

Does any one know the why?

what stands for "2 type"?

are you referring to PowerParts PDS shock or non-PDS shock for linkage equipped bikes?

Zac

or do you mean the sxs one vs std? or the exc one with no high speed adjustment? more info please.

2 types, as in pds1(needle) and the pds2(without needle 👍).

no needle?

The normal production shock has two pistons and a needle to control trhe secondary pistons effective. They briefly built a 1 piston shock (PDS2) that didn't have/need the needle. I think the PDS2 was a 1.5 piston deal like the 85/105/SMR? Basically same as the Ohlins PDS shock...has one 50mm piston and a smaller 40mm-ish sec piston with a matching cup...

no needle?

Mog, you have been away of the pds's too long 👍 And that since you had such inside in the 2001 type.

I always wondered why WP made two types of pds shocks?

Does any one know the why?

c'mon huskie

you're pretty close to them, so get your trailer on, start up the engine and make a stop at Heumen and ask them. 👍

You are right, i cld do that :0 But that is no fun. And i probably get a sales rep first to speak to.

right i am now on the same page, well the reason for the smaller piston seems to me to be straight forward, the twin piston as i am sure you know doesnt act independantly, on very high speed hits the 2nd piston comes into play as the oil cannot pass through the bypass easily enough, so thats a problem, you get around this issue totally with the 1.5 piston setup

BUT

you have other issues with the 1.5 piston, getting a smooth progression when the 2nd piston comes in must be a problem no matter how you arrange it, im sure the oil doesnt like being mashed by the 2nd piston but the pds is hard on oil no matter what you do.

Overall the pds1 has a issue with the 2nd piston working all the time, but its very tunable, needles and shims are all available to tailor it, with the pds 2 you get what you get i guess, shims can be altered but thats about all.

In 2001 i tried a technoflex shock(single piston) on a 125sx but it wasnt much good, much smoother on the small stuff but bottomed hard on any decent mx stuff.

The normal production shock has two pistons and a needle to control trhe secondary pistons effective. They briefly built a 1 piston shock (PDS2) that didn't have/need the needle. I think the PDS2 was a 1.5 piston deal like the 85/105/SMR? Basically same as the Ohlins PDS shock...has one 50mm piston and a smaller 40mm-ish sec piston with a matching cup...

hi lew

a lot of tuner suggest to remove the 2nd piston to reduce friction (reduce shockbody temperature) and give a plusher response. Obviuously yu have to change all the shim stack.

I've never heard about a PDs shock without needle...

Are you referring about Mxtech needle?

Is PDS2 available or a prototype seriese (or SXS powerparts series).I've a pic of a new PDS with 2 orange compression adj...

Zac

The SX 85 shock is a PDS2, so is 05/06 SXS.The factory shock and the new TRAX shock which is virtually identical to a factory shock are also PDS2.

so it sounds like the way forward is the pds 2.

weel, everyone knows that ohlins patented two pds sistem.

the first patent was selled to Wp and now WP make his own PDS-shock.

Ohlins never selled the 2nd patent so WP can't produce a better PDS shock and lot of people in europe bought the aftermarket Ohlins PDS shock becouse it was better and more confident.

now, I know that Wp SXS shock are great, but now Ohlins sell TTX shock.

I know some people that installed TTX shock and they're very happy.The bike is very confident and plush and you can change your set-up only with click (no shims) thanks to CCS system.

So, my 2cents is: why chose a WP instead of Ohlins TTX?

Zac

the first patent was selled to Wp and now WP make his own PDS-shock.

Ohlins never selled the 2nd patent so WP can't produce a better PDS shock

Zac

Zac, do i understand correctly when i say. Ohlins sold the pds/needle patent type shock to wp, and did not sell the smaller second piston type(pds2) patent.

But if correct, what about that sxs pds shock that is working with a smaller second piston, if i recall right?

Can someone post a picture of an open sxs shock for cleariness.

and what about the 85 sx? that uses a 1.5 piston setup.

now, I know that Wp SXS shock are great, but now Ohlins sell TTX shock.

I know some people that installed TTX shock and they're very happy.The bike is very confident and plush and you can change your set-up only with click (no shims) thanks to CCS system.

So, my 2cents is: why chose a WP instead of Ohlins TTX?

Zac

Ohlins is not necessarily better than WP and vice versa... properly tuned a rider can run just as fast on a WP or Ohlins suspension system... its a matter of rider input and the suspension tuner being able to understand and create what the rider needs... which is not so easily done...

both aftermarket shocks offer a HUGE range of adjustability just with the clickers - not just Ohlins...

the advantage with TTX is that the shimstack is built into the adjuster knobs - therefore you can pull it out, change the shims, reinstall and with the vacuum pump you have the shock working in 15 minutes already... (simplified explanation)...

the new WP TRAX system is quite amazing offroad as long as you keep that function working which is sometimes subject to water, grease or dirt jamming it - a small hole is required to be drilled to correct this problem.

Last thing... there are 3 levels of WP suspension... KTM and BMW OEM, SXS - KTM PowerParts and then the full WP aftermarket suspension. Although here in Europe the price of SXS and WP aftermarket suspension is similar the WP aftermarket stuff is more refined.

the new WP TRAX system is quite amazing offroad as long as you keep that function working which is sometimes subject to water, grease or dirt jamming it - a small hole is required to be drilled to correct this problem.

Ddragic, you sound very knowledgeable about the stuff. I understand the trax is something mechanical and not hydraulic?! Can you tell how it is working? I also understand that put them on yr yamaha. Still pleased about it?

👍

finally managed to get a pic for you... see below for a pic of the TRAX system...

yes its mechanical... basically a chamber with short springs, very exact and reacts faster than the hydraulic part of the shock - the grey part moves separate from the rest of the shock body ... the red nob is the rebound adjuster... (again simplified explanation)...

the idea is great and it has its place in MX and Enduro/x-country/offroad ... on the really rough stuff is where it shines...

enjoy the pics...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22333533@N06/2804330598/in/set-72157605348018962/