Sign in to follow this  

Thinking of buying an DRZ SM - What do I need to know?

Hi All,

Am currently an SV650s rider in England and am thinking of getting a brand new DRZ, do you guys have any advice on what I need to know about the bike before going ahead and getting it.

What is the top speed too?

Oh yeah and how come there is no white option over here?

How much would a full set of white plactics cost me? Sent to over here?

Thanks all.

Kev

You can find a lot of information if you use the search facilities, many of your questions have been covered before.

The top speed of my SM is about 110mph although I hear there official 0-60 is 3.7 seconds which i find more fun.

I believe I saw white plastics on eBay not so long ago, but do you like them that much to spend all that money on changing them?

Andi - Nice bike, what mods have you carried out?

I'm only 5"8' and a little concerned about the height of the bike and the width as it will be a commuting tool primarily.

Also I have seen quite a lot of seriously low mileage versions for sale and wonder why this is.

Kev

Mines been used and abused and has fairly high milage now.

Mods are basic, Remus exhuast (de-corked) with carbon heatwraped header, rejeted carb and Ufo Front lights. It has red rim tape, also have carbonfibre case savers on route. Also fitted Renthal Chain and sprockets and Renthal Fatbars. Oh its also got a LED Tail tidy.

Not going to do much else, just tidy it up some more.

Im 6"2 and i wound the suspension up just a little, so you could easyly pop it down a bit or get a lower aftermarket seat as the stock ones is a bit uncomfortable.

What sort of mileage are you getting out of it? and what do the engines last to?

The lights look the dogs b*ll*cks, was that an expensive mod to make?

A stock SM will not do more than 100mph and 0-100 in 5.5 sec.

Mileage is anything from 30 -70mpg depending on your right wrist retardation.

It will do over 30k miles if you look after it.

Hi All,

Am currently an SV650s rider in England and am thinking of getting a brand new DRZ, do you guys have any advice....

Take an extended test ride on one first.... we all love our DRZs but it might not be for you. You'll most likely love it but better to be sure before splashing the cash (or signing the 0% credit agreement).

Ant.

One thing you wont need to know is how to do extensive maintenance.

Tony

You can find a lot of information if you use the search facilities, many of your questions have been covered before.

The top speed of my SM is about 110mph although I hear there official 0-60 is 3.7 seconds which i find more fun.

I believe I saw white plastics on eBay not so long ago, but do you like them that much to spend all that money on changing them?

I'm going to call BS on anybody who thinks they can go 110 mph on a stock DRZ. I'd say its more like 90mph. Speedo's are usually 10% off reading HIGH. So if is says 100, you're only doing 90.

Other things to know... it won't be quite as highway worthy as an sv650 and depending on how you gear it may be pretty wound up doing over 65mph or so. You'll constantly be looking for that 6th gear that isn't there. Where these bikes own the road is the slower more twisty roads.

Relatively easy on maintenance also... often oil changes and fixing a few known issues (cam tensioner) will result in a very dependable ride. 👍

Police Radar on mine..........104mph........It's a completely stock 06. No, I didn't get a ticket, I had a friend that was on duty clock me, and it was safe and on the highway with little traffic. I'm getting about 65 miles per gallon on

mine, and about 100 smiles per minute everytime I ride

it!!!!!!!!!!!👍

Regards Sonny

Right I'm 99.9999% I'm going for one of these bad-boys, but getting a test ride is proving more difficult than I thought!!!

Managed to get a sit on one which has had Suzuki lowering kit fitted and it is perfect for me.

What about alarms? Do they fit?

I'm looking at a brand new one, so am I right in thinking K7 is the latest? Are there any iminnent model changes coming?

K9 would be the latest, and they are all the same except for graphics.

Hi Krall

I'm also looking to buy (soon) - the 0% offer has been extended to Oct 31st. The list price is £4499, but check autotrader to see which dealer offering £3999 delivered is nearest to you, if you've a prefered local dealer - you should at least be able to get him down to £4200 or £4300 with different tyres fitted for you - see here DR-Z400SM wet road tyres

Honestly after buying a DRZ400SM and disliking nothing about it I found many other riders feel the same. Great power, amazing handling, good fuel economy, low maintenance, great reliability. What more could you want? Also atleast in California I bought one without riding one, I read all that I could and knew they resell really well, atleast around here. I can't see you buying one and hating it

Just be aware that once the modification bug bites you.... there is no stopping you from trying to personalise your DRZ to the point that defies rationale reasoning. 👍

Been there and done that.... a look into my garage will tell you how obsessive a love affair with the DRZ can be. :worthy:

I have managed to get a local dealer down to £4100 OTR including the supply and fitting of a lowering kit, so am happy with that.

The only problem I am having is getting a ride on a bloody test bike, I've not really read anything bad about the DRZ and I think it will hit the spot, but don't want to commit until I have had a go.

This months RIDE review isn't overly positive about the bike.

Honestly after buying a DRZ400SM and disliking nothing about it I found many other riders feel the same. Great power, amazing handling, good fuel economy, low maintenance, great reliability. What more could you want? Also atleast in California I bought one without riding one, I read all that I could and knew they resell really well, atleast around here. I can't see you buying one and hating it

very true. in socal their is a good market for these and I know i could sell my 08 for 5500 or so very quickly.

I love the bike but will be looking at one with a bigger motor in 6 months or so